A Decent Weekend With difficult child

B

Bunny

difficult child's 13th birthday was this past Friday, so we are now officially in the teenage years. He had a really good weekend. Friday I made his favorite for dinner (I do that with birthdays. The birthday boy gets to pick what we eat on his birthday). On Saturday I had family over for difficult child's birthday and he did pretty well when they were here. He was disappointed because it was suppsed to be really nice weather and he asked if we could grill dinner for his party, but it was damp and rainy all day. So, we had to eat inside. At one point he freaked out because he thought I was saying that I would not cook on the grill, but I stayed calm and got him to calm down and explained that I was definately cooking outdside because it was his birthday party and that was what he asked for, but that we just could not eat outside because everything was all wet. After that, he was fine and we had no other problems. I have been asking him for a few weeks to go thought his warm weather clothes with me so that I can figure out what he has that fits him as we are going on vacation soon and I need to make sure he has enough clothes for the summer. So, yesterday I sat with him and we went through his stuff together, and I made sure that he understood that what does not fit him will be going to his brother. There were a few things that don't fit him anymore, but he asked if he could keep them rather than give them to his brother. I told him that was not a problem. We goth through all of his stuff and then I went through easy child's things. easy child had a party yesterday afternoon, so while he was there husband and I took difficult child to buy his birthday present.

All in all, not a bad weekend. I'll take it.

TerryJ2

Glad it went well. Congrats, new teenager!

I know what you mean about almost freaking about not grilling. These kids flip at the least little thing. My difficult child almost did that last night and I caught him in mid-sentence to explain what I meant. Their minds just zoom ahead to the most negative absolute.

B

Bunny

I know what you mean about almost freaking about not grilling. These kids flip at the least little thing. My difficult child almost did that last night and I caught him in mid-sentence to explain what I meant. Their minds just zoom ahead to the most negative absolute.

I think with difficult child he zoomed in on the fact that I said we could not be outside and he jumped to the conclusion that I meant I wasn't going to do ANYTHING outside. I looked at him and said, "Like I've never grilled dinner in the rain before?" Then he got what I was saying, but he only after is was clearly explained in black and white.

InsaneCdn

Bunny... let me guess... difficult child is just coming off of a growth spurt?
'Cause... difficult child was (and still is) always at his worst, just before and during a major growth spurt.

B

Bunny

Bunny... let me guess... difficult child is just coming off of a growth spurt?
'Cause... difficult child was (and still is) always at his worst, just before and during a major growth spurt.

Yes, he is coming off a HUGE growth spurt! Even his therapist is amazed at how fast he's been growing. We increased his risperdal because, as the psychiatrist put it, he was rather "unstable" and that seems to have helped quite a bit. Even difficult child sees that he's doing better. Yesterday he was arguing with easy child and easy child cursed at him (which he learned to do from difficult child, but that's another issue for another day). Usually if easy child curses at difficult child, difficult child goes absolutely off the wall. Yesterday he threw his hand up in the air and said, "I'm done! I'm walking away." I calmly thanked him for doing so and asked him to please leave the room so that I could deal with easy child. He did and it all ended fairly peacefully. Afterwards I told him that I was really proud of him for walking away because it made ending the moment of turmoil much easier to deal with and he was happy about being acknowledged.