A Great Experience

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Since husband is now unemployed and Nichole is out on her own.......we both decided it was time to sign up for Angelfood Ministries. We both need all the help we can get in making that money stretch.

We put in our orders last month. Nichole did it against boyfriend's wishes......he threw a hissy fit. And even husband was doubtful.

That order came in today. Our pick up is at the fair grounds. by the way if you do this it is wise to bring your own box (big) and if you have issues carrying bring something to get that box to the car. Although we'd have had some healthy males to help if we really needed it.

Now I've had some bad experiences with this sort of thing in the past. I've gone to food pantries where the people volunteering act put out and look down their noses at you......or worse. Sort of discouraged me from going back. Hey, I may be poor and having a hard time of it, but it's not my fault their volunteering.....and everyone goes thru a hard time in life at some point.

Most of those bad experiences have been in this area. Food banks in Dayton I've used have staffed kind people who go out of their way. So to be honest, I've been hesitant to do this from the get go. We're just reaching that desperate point.

I expected a crowd and a long stand in line. This area has been hit hard buy the bad economy and it was a very poor rural area to begin with. We get there and there are cars parked. Go to the building and no line at all. :surprise: The volunteers had it very well organized. You scoot your box along the tables they have lined up and they fill it with the food you ordered, then double check to make sure nothing was missed at the end of the line. Everyone very friendly, very helpful. No one standing in judgement, no looking down their noses. Didn't take much to see these people like what they're doing and helping people.:D

Once your finished (which took all of 5 mins) you can order right there if you want for the next month or wait and do it online. Nichole and I both had to wait to do it online.....but you bet I'm putting in another order for next month.

OH, and FYI, they have a fantastic holiday package available for next month which I'm also ordering. Actually I'm going to order 3 packages next month......so we'll be bringing Aubrey's wagon to get it back to the car. LOL

Another thing I truly liked is that it is a church based organization......and I'm spiritual but not an organized religion type of person so that can sometimes put me off...........but they aren't the least bit pushy in that direction for anyone who would have a problem with that sort of thing.

I know we have members here who are out of work........or who are just plain struggling to make ends meet in this bad economy. This is a great way to get high quality food at dirt cheap prices to cut that food budget down. And they take food stamps. I have to tell K this as she's been waiting to hear if they did.

Here is the link for those who would like it.

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

I know I'm not the only one here who uses it because this is where I found out about it. They have locations all over the country........and honestly, if a pick up site is located in my dinky lil rural town there is most likely one near you as well.

It's so nice to have this sort of help when you really need it. Of course someday down the road I'll be one of those people at the food pantry handing out food to repay the kindness......but that's just me. lol

donna723

They have that here too and run ads in the paper for it all the time. And they stress that there are NO income guidelines, no eligibilities to meet, anyone who wants to can participate in it. They have several different packages available and you can get more than one if you want to. They even have one that is geared to senior citizens that is a great deal and is very helpful to those on a fixed income. Some of these packages even have steaks in them, which I haven't been able to afford for a long, long time! It's very good high quality food.

I haven't done it but my brothers family has. They now have their newly divorced daughter and her two small kids living with them, and my brother has gone through several 'furloughs' from work. It's been very rough for them financially, but this has helped A LOT!

DammitJanet

I have used it several times for Cory here in my town. I will admit I get him to pay for the initial box but I supplement it and buy an extra box of meat for him. Costs me an extra 20 bucks I think. Yeah I know...detach! I fail.

The line is a bit longer in my town I guess because it can take a little longer than 5 minutes to get through but the people are really nice. They have coffee and a water cooler set up while we wait. Its in a church here with a large auditorium. They have a group of teens that carry the boxes to peoples cars who need help. (Like me and seniors...lol)

Cory loves the food.

Andy

That does sound like a positive experience. When you are struggling, you don't need rude people to make you feel worse.

The negative volunteers are why I am so poor at asking people to help out on a project. If someone says no, I leave it at that. I am not going to badger someone into doing something they really don't have their heart into doing. So, I think those volunteers who do not show joy in their work probably don't really want to be there but someone nagged them to help out. They finally agreed just to get the person to leave them alone.

The food shelf is often helped out by organizations of "We have to do this because it is the right thing to do" type of people. Occassionally you do get a group of stuck up "I am better than they are and it is my civil duty to help out" kinds of people who do it just for show, not really to help. There is not always joy in that. Yes, it is the right thing to do, but you should do it gladly, not with a "this is a burden" type attitude.

It is so nice to hear that there are kind people who really like to help.

donna723

Along those same lines, one of the churches here has a "clothing closet" too, for anyone who needs it, and they have tons of nice childrens' clothing. It has almost turned into an exchange for kids clothes. My sister in law and niece go there often to get clothes for niece's 3 year old and 6 month old. Most of them are very nice brand name clothes too, just like new. They outgrow them so fast, and when they're too small for them, they take what they've outgrown back and re-donate them and find some bigger ones!

susiestar

Roll With It
It is a truly awesome program. We now have 2 churches who participate. There was a 3rd, but the church went bankrupt. Neither one has EVER made any of us feel unwelcome or snootied upon.

I am glad you had a great experience.

The monthly menus now offer a choice for those with food allergies also. I encourage everyone to try them!

Mattsmom277

We have a program kind of like that (I think) here in town, strictly for fruits and veggies.

We have a local food bank. I went several years ago. The volunteers? I was shocked. Why give of yourself and your time to people you obviously loathe, look down at, sneer at, don't respect? There was ONE kindly person working there. The person who "signed me up" grilled me in an inch of my life. By the time I was "okay'ed" for some help, this person knew my income, its source, my entire household list of bills and amounts, and I was made to validate my budget weekly for groceries etc. I was stunned. I never returned.

About 2 years ago I was told about a nearby church. They were wonderful. You can call once a month but I've only used them once. You phone on Tuesday mornings between a certain hour and they merely ask your first name, address and the ages of the others in your household. Then you stay home and that afternoon, two people arrive with fresh groceries. Meat, dairy, grains, veggies, fruits, canned goods. When you have school aged kids, they provide lunch treats, meat etc. I honestly cried when they brought in the groceries. They left me with dignity and you could see no judgement, just a desire of theirs to help someone who needed it. I have since donated to the church food fund even though I am not a member of the church and have never attended there.

I'm so glad your experience was positive!

Lothlorien

I'm glad you had a good experience. There is a local chapter in my area. It's a good reminder for me to tell people about it. I forget that it's available here.

tiredmommy

We have a local church participating in angelfood ministries, their motto is that "if you eat, you qualify". We live in a middle-to-upper-middle class community but groceries cost a lot. We picked up our second box yesterday. husband is especially pleased because he's on a mission to control costs wherever possible and the quality is good.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks for the url, Daisy I ordered a box for my mother. I want to see if it's something she will eat. If so, she will be on their list every month. I can order and pay for it on line and mail the receipt to my brother who can pick it up. Heck I offered to pay the local grocery store to delivery her an order of groceries but they said no. : (

I'm even going to try it for easy child. He has no food plan at school and has to manage on his allowance.
I'm hoping it works out. Thanks so much TM for clarifying that it's for anyone who struggles to stretch their dollars.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Fran I hope it works out well for your Mom, and easy child too if he can use it. That senior's box would've been wonderful for mother in law when she was still living at home.

For Travis at school I took him to the Meijer's down the street and walked him to the frozen food dept. He can get banquet dinners for a dollar and they have a wide variety of them.....sometimes for 89 cents! He'd checked out eating in the school cafeteria and OMG it was just too expensive. All he has to do is pop these into the microwave has he has a whole meal......and mother in law always enjoyed them. He can have supper every night for just 7 dollars a week!! At the school cafeteria it would've been 7 dollars a meal.

Fran

Former desparate mom
easy child's program is a campus away from the main campus so there is no meal plan. The 4 kids have use of their own kitchen so I stocked him up pretty well before I left. easy child decided to cook a few nights a week if the other's cleaned. (trust me when I almost had to pick my jaw up off the floor since I don't believe I have seen him boil water without me standing behind him with a stick to beat him with) If it wasn't microwaveable, he didn't care. Now he calls me for inexpensive recipes. I sent him a college student survival cookbook. LOL.

Mom is in what they call the "donut hole" with her medication coverage. What it means is that she has exhausted the amount allowed with her supplemental coverage. She must pay out of pocket for all prescriptions until she gets to 3800.00 then will be kicked into the next tier of coverage on her supplemental. The prescriptions run about 550.00/month. Almost 1/2 her monthly income. I have applied for some aid for her but it hasn't kicked in yet. She has very little to survive on and every penney saved is help for her.

crazymama30

I so wish we had an angelfood ministeries here. I have an appointment at the, blech, foodstamp office. If that fails, husband may have to hit up the food pantries. I just don't have time to stand in line and he is not working, so he can!

Daisy, I am glad you had a good experience. It is nice to find kind people who do not judge.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
For Travis at school I took him to the Meijer's down the street and walked him to the frozen food dept. He can get banquet dinners for a dollar and they have a wide variety of them.....sometimes for 89 cents!

LOL - Daisy - Near Travis's school there is a Save-A-Lot and also an Aldi's. Next time I run, let me know what he needs (general, they have different stuff) and I'll pick up some extra for him! Also I have an upright freezer and you know they're more efficient when full. ;)

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I have used Angel Food Ministries since husband died. It's a wonderful program ~ my niece & I order & split the costs & food. It's worked out wonderfully for us.

The church I pick up at has quality coffee & donuts; encourage you to bring laundry baskets & if you are disabled will carry the food out to your car.

There was a great deal of respect, lots of laughter & a feeling of community even though I'm not a member of that church.

All in all a good place to go if your dollars just do not stretch as far as they once did.

Star*

call 911........call 911
We've been using them on and off for years....

I think this time we're going to use the fruit order -

Has anyone ordered their steak?

THanks Daisy -

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stepto2 I was wondering if there was an Aldi's near him!! I'll remember that and when he gets low I'll let you know so if you've got to shop anyways..... He's got the money, he just has to stretch it as far as possible at least until he can find work.....and that's not looking like it will be until winter quarter. Thanks! :D

Starbie......husband and I just had our steaks tonight in fact. I needed something I could whip up fast as I was starved (school does that to me) and needed to hit the books.

They were tender and delicious!! I was thrilled with them and so was husband. :)