A question about homebound

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerriH

My daughter is in the P hospital again.

One of her major triggers is the school: we have known this for a long time but in the past she has held it together. School is where her friends are and she WANTED to go.

We are having a meeting tomorrow AM to figure out what to do about her schooling: she is 16 and very clever. Her therapist suggested homebound, and the principle of her school says that homebound is not for cases like this.

So we are having a meeting tomorrow AM to decide what to do about her education, and I know nothing about homebound.

I googled it, gather that is when they send a teacher with a weeks assignments to her home every week. But, I have found NOTHING as to when they do homebound? I find no criteria, no nothing!

Are there guidelines as to when they do homebound? I expect no trouble with the doctor signing permission, but, one expert says she should qualify and the principle says she would not.

Suggestions? Info??????

svengandhi

My son was on homebound for a month last year because he fractured his leg and was non-weight bearing.

He was entitled to a certain number of hours a week (but our SD went over) with tutors in various subjects. We would take him to the public library just so he could get out of the house. His teacher from school (he attends a non-public school for Learning Disability (LD)/dyslexic kids) sent home his assignments. We had about 8 - 10 hrs per week for math, English, social studies and science. His foreign lang was ASL and there was no tutor. The work he did with the tutors was what his school assigned.

He would do the work with the tutors and then I would scan it and email it to his teacher.

TerriH

I just got off the phone with my childs therapist: I had asked her to call because I wanted to know what the school was going to reccommend. Being a fairly cool lady, she did!

This is important to us because the school meetings for us are actually sales pitches: If I ask what they are considering they do NOT! say until they have decided, and then they call us in for a sales pitch. We can TRY to change their minds then, but, they will only accept minor changes. The school KNOWS what the school WANTS, and they use a united front approach, LOL!!!!!

I got used to it!:mad:

At any rate, they want her to do half days. Bless her heart, the therapist then suggested homebound until she is READY to come back, and the social worker says that he will consider it ! YES!!!!!!!!

So now I know what will be covered at the meeting tomorrow, and I can be prepared and have my arguements marshalled.

Sheila

Homebound is suppose to be for short term type situations.

It is appropriate for your situation. If 1/2 days don't work out, keep it in mind. Also, if she's ever homebound, be sure and require that she be transitioned back into school -- not just one day she's homeschooled and the next day suddenly thrown back in with a full day schedule.

Schools get in the habit of doing "x" when "y" happens and sometimes forget to take into consideration "the unique needs of the student." In their defense, they've faded some heat in the past for using "homebound" as a means to get rid of difficult students.

tictoc

Hi,
Just saw your post today...How did the meeting go?

My son had serious self-regulation issues in kindergarten last year and we decided to take a break from school while we worked on medication issues. We did not need tutors to come in so we were able to use a non-medical option for his leave. We simply used a "long-term leave," which can be granted for a number of reasons, including being out of town. It was very easy to do. If we had needed tutors, we would have had to use the "homebound" option.

Good luck.

gpsych

Homebound is suppose to be for short term type situations.

It is appropriate for your situation. If 1/2 days don't work out, keep it in mind. Also, if she's ever homebound, be sure and require that she be transitioned back into school -- not just one day she's homeschooled and the next day suddenly thrown back in with a full day schedule.

Schools get in the habit of doing "x" when "y" happens and sometimes forget to take into consideration "the unique needs of the student." In their defense, they've faded some heat in the past for using "homebound" as a means to get rid of difficult students.

I just wanted to second what Sheila said about transitioning the student back to school. Make sure that she's eased back into a full-day schedule. When changing settings from more restrictive to less restrictive, it's always a good idea to proceed slowly in order to prevent overload. Generally, the school won't want to do this because it utilizes resources for monitoring the student's progress, but good data regarding the transition still needs to be collected so we don't move too fast or too slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.