Alternative education?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by wakeupcall, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    IF my difficult child continues to cause so much chaos at school, what will happen? Will he be suspended first? Expelled? What does it mean that they "have" to educate him? What pushes them to an alternative school? What does an alternative school do? It's not to this point yet, but I want to be educated about it..
  2. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    If your child has an IEP, he can be expelled for up to 10 days during the school year for school rule violations unless his IEP says otherwise. Again, unless the IEP says different, children with-disabilities are held to the general Student Code of Conduct for the district.

    If there is no IEP, he can be put into DAEP. This is the first step toward sds moving kids to the Juvenile Justice System.

    10 is the "magic" age in Texas. After that, tolerance of misbehavior grows less and less.

    Alternative schools mean different things in different areas. I tend to equate it to a warehouse facility for kids with behavior problems and little academics are taught. That's stereo typing and not necessarily true.

    It's very important that you read and understand your District's Student Code of Conduct. Many Districts' policies and conduct codes are on the internet these days.
  3. Martie

    Martie Moderator

    Is your son IEP qualified?

    This question is of the utmost importance. I cannot stress this enough to you. IF he is in special education, and his behavior is uncontrollable, bad things can happen (such as being restaffed to an alternative school that is punitive.) However, good things could happen, also: difficult child might get into a therapetic school or your SD might have to pay for Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

    There is MAJOR legal protection in having your child qualified for Special Education rather than accepting a 504 plan as "the same." It's not. IF you child is Special Education qualifed, the he can not be suspended for more than 10 cumulative days in any one school year and can NEVER be expelled. A SD can NEVER end it's obligation to a Special Education child to provide a FAPE until the child is 21--with one exception: children over 17 incarcerated in adult facilities have very limited rights to education. However, if you advocate for your child now, you will reduce the chances of having son in that situation at 17.

    Your child is the type that needs strong advocacy to get a good school outcome. Unless your SD is unusually tolerant, they will want to "push him out." You need to know what your rights are to protect him for push out as well as illegal suspension and expulsion.

    I suggest as a good place to start becoming an educated advocate for your child.

  4. wakeupcall

    wakeupcall Well-Known Member

    difficult child has had an IEP (other health impaired) since Kindergarten. For the most part they have worked with us really well. I think they know we ae trying everything we can. He'll move to the intermediate school next year and one only knows what will happen then. I imagine this elementary school (it's a lah-de-dah school) will do everything they can to keep him till it's finally over for them, rather than suffer the stigma of sending him away.