Alternative school recommends difficult child stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

maril

Can home school district refuse to let difficult child return?

A plan was made by staff at beginning of school year that in order to reenter home school district, difficult child would have to meet requirements by end of 9-wk. grading period (regular attendance, passing grades, and no problems with behavior). difficult child has met those requirements.

I recently spoke with admin. at alternative school. Unfortunately, he will recommend that difficult child stay at alternative school because he has trouble focusing.

difficult child wants to return to home SD. He feels that is a better educational environment for him.

A few notes: Met with home SD staff in early October. SD psychologist to reevaluate to see if difficult child is eligible for Special Education. (permission form mailed early Nov. and awaiting next steps). Also, at that meeting, the principal made a suggestion that difficult child might do work-study; part of his studies would be done at home SD.

We have a meeting coming up soon to see if difficult child can return to home SD and are doing our best to get prepared.

Last edited:

maril

Also, I did remember there is a (DOE) consult line for parents to call with questions about Special Education, so I left a message there.

Sheila

Unless your child has an IEP, s/he is pretty much at the mercy of the school district.

Your signature doesn't indicate what problems your son has, just multiple challenges. If he has a disability, please advise. There may be a way around this if he does.

Also, a student being put into an Alternative school usually means there's been a behavior problem. If you can elaborate a bit on the reason for the Alternative school, it would be helpful.

maril

Thanks, Sheila.

For years, he has been dealing with ADHD. In addition, he has never been eligible for an IEP (home SD is reevaluating presently). Also, he left the home school district for an alternative school in 2008 because the assistant principal claimed he had little chance for success there (failing classes) and that the alternative school would provide more chance for success; smaller class size, etc.

We always hear what a nice guy he is from school staff.

maril

Well, I called the Special Education consult line and gained more information. I have already received the Procedural Safeguards Notice from the SD (enclosed along with consent form, etc.), and Special Education consultant will be sending me additional information, which will be helpful. She answered questions and shed some light.

Status
Not open for further replies.