Another Call from Principal- ISS this time

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
He was chewing up his math book in math class and spitting it out at other students. He was rude to the teacher and principal and kept repeating he needed a challenge and that was why he was acting up. (math comes incredibly easy for him but there is no advanced option). So he has 2 days next week of in school suspension. But there is some classwork he can't do, outside of class, so I'm not sure how he's supposed to get all his work done by the end of the quarter. (end of next week) I started to tell the principal that we were hanging in until our 11/11 meeting at the school and he just cut me off with "I don't know what we're going to do with him until then; he keeps destroying school property."

Would you punish him at home too?

I honestly cannot stand this principal and have no idea how we're going to get through 5 more years of education. The accursation in his voice is almost more than I can take. difficult child started an anger management workbook last night. He seems serious about it too. But what happened in Math today doesn't sound like it was an issue with his anger.

I feel like I'm burning up the boards lately!

Californiablonde

My motto has always been what happens at school stays at school, and what happens at home stays at home. For me personally it makes our lives much easier if we don't double punish them for something that happened away from home. Of course there are exceptions. If my kid were to bring drugs or knives to school you better believe they would be consequences at home, but for something like what you are describing I would say let the consequences stay at school. This school he is at sounds rather harsh. Is it middle school? If so, thank goodness you will only be there a couple more years till he gets transferred to high school. I am sorry you are having problems right now and the school doesn't seem to be helping. I hope for both of your sakes that the meeting goes well next month.

InsaneCdn

Would you punish him at home too?
NO.

At home, we work to get to the bottom of the real reasons for problems at school and work to find solutions (which takes way too long but...)
But you don't get punished twice for the same offence.

I WILL punish for school issues if the school does not... for example, if I catch my kid being a bully, even if the teachers miss it, I will call it with the normal at-home result. But not double trouble for one problem.

TerryJ2

So you've already spoken to them about more challenging math and they have nothing to offer? And he's already got a 504 or IEP? Then no, I'd leave it at ISS.

dstc_99

I would leave it at ISS.

Can you provide him with a math book that is the next grade level up. Once he is done with his assigned work he could then complete an assignment out of the next grade level book. Have the teacher hold the book so that they know he isn't doing it during their teaching time. Then when everyone has time to do work he can get the upper level book. Have him bring home what he does in that book to you for review.

Its the same concept as giving a kid with ADHD a play area that they use once they are done with an assignment.

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
I have emailed with the math teacher about getting some more challenging work. difficult child says he finishes ahead of everyone else...then just can't sit still. DSTC, I like your idea about the 8th grade level math. With all these suspensions he is basically teaching himself anyway.

Terry, no IEP...yet. We have a meeting on the 11th to discuss evaluation. I also just spoke to difficult child- he also refused to go to the resource room when his math teacher ordered him there because "that's where the slow learners go; I will NEVER go there." He's not sorry & now wants online school. He was a bit taken aback when I told him it wasn't free.

DDD

Not only am I "out of the loop" now but I've had a mega stressful day which totals up to perhaps not the best inpur.
on the other hand, our State and many States now allow enrollment in advanced classes thru the State via the internet. Have you specifically checked to see what is true where you live? If they are going to "bore" him. You may need to call your State Board of Education and ask for advice. Years ago when I did that in fear and frustration I was surprised to speak with a woman who "got it" and offered specific suggestions. Maybe you can luck out too. Fingerscrossed.DDD

BusynMember

Nope. I would let the school deal with stuff that happens at school. Is he only disruptive in math? If so, then that's something to work on. If he's not, then it won't matter if he is challenged more or not...he has, for whatever reason, trouble staying still and some kids destroy things because of sensory issues, high anxiety, any number of reasons that they can't control. He isn't being "bad." You have yet to hit the "why" of his behavior and it takes time whether school principal likes that or not.

C

Confused

You already got great advice and I agree with everyone!!! Having more math ( advanced) would be great for him! Some principals just dont seem to be there for the kids.. I mean really there. I wish you luck and hang in there..hopefully this meeting can help out!

dstc_99

I might even consider talking directly with the math teacher. I know in my daughters math class (which is eighth grade) they have challenge questions that the teachers don't assign them to do. They are given the option to do them if they want. Maybe the program the teacher has also has challenge questions that she doesn't give out.

on the other hand instead of buying a book I could save you some money and just send you copies of my daughters work daily. LOL

Also have you looked in to http://www.k12.com/mnva. It is a free online school for kids across the country (I pulled the one for Minnesota up for you). My daughter is currently attending the Washington one. I love how they have daily assignments but if they chose they can take extra's. IE: if he loves math he can take 10 classes a day and progress as far as he wants. They have a full time and part time option so if he wants he can take certain classes through the online program and others he can attend normally. It also generally allows them to play sports or be part of school clubs.

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
My worry with online school is that I have to work during the day and difficult child isn't very motivated if he's disinterested in what he's learning. I don't know if I can keep up with my full time job as well as home teaching. This is a kid who can't even remember to take his medications, so he does require supervision. on the other hand, I don't want that to be the only option left to use AFTER he's expelled because then he definitely would not be able to play sports or participate in clubs.

He does have problems in Language Arts (first class of the morning) and Science as well. The problems in Science are mainly due to getting his work done without an ipad, and in Language Arts it's before class when they're not supervised.

Gwenage

I have the same concerns about online schooling too.

That said the higher book works with my kid. We just make it out like its a test of his intelligence.

svengandhi

If you have 5 more years of schooling for him, does that mean he's in 7th grade? Maybe he can be assigned to an 8th grade math class? My difficult child used to shut down because he was bored. When he was in first grade and not reading, his teacher assigned him math word problems on a 4th grade level on the theory that the math concepts would interest him and he would work harder to read them because he wanted to be able to solve them. It worked until the idiot principal found out about it and said no enrichment was allowed for kids who couldn't read! We ultimately wound up changing schools. He's in college now, with credits earned from the Calculus BC test, among others.

Also, every year in our district, they always send a couple of 8th graders up to the HS for math because they are just too advanced for the regular advanced curriculum. My difficult child could have gone but the kid he hated most was going so difficult child refused, which was find with me. He was already one year ahead in math, two wasn't necessary.

The chewing up of the math book is a different issue. He shouldn't be doing that but I wouldn't punish him at home if he's getting ISS. Just be careful about that. My oldest son, who is mildly Aspie, LOVED ISS so much that he would deliberately act out so he'd get it.

Good luck.