Another dog concern

klmno

First, I apologize for starting threads about my issues lately without responding to many. I have felt swamped the past few days and hope I can make this up to people.

The same dog that had to spend the day at the vet yesterday for apparent toxicity has a very swollen red eye. It's not the eyeball itself or the piece of skin in the corner(I don't remember what that's called). It's the eyelids- both upper and lower. They are VERY red and swollen and have been since I brought her home but sometimes it looks worse than others. It is only one eye. There have been no signs of blood or scratches like I would expect if a cat swiped her and I've never seen another animal in our fenced yard except a turtle a couple of months ago. Last night I thought maybe it had something to do with being pumped with fluids but now I'm wondering if it could be a snake bite or something.

I remember when I first took her to the vet yesterday, she cried when they tried to look in her mouth. Now I'm thinking it wasn't her mouth that was hurting but her snout and eye. She has been eating fine but sleeping a lot.

donna723

I don't know ... I would have the vet look at that one! They can check to see if there is a scratch on the cornea - that could be very serious if not treated promptly.

Usually with a snake bite there is severe swelling, and it happens very soon after the bite. We had one that got snake bit years ago and her whole head swelled up like a basketball!

TerryJ2

Hmm. The garbage could have been a red herring.
The only time I've seen swelling like that was from bee stings. It went down after 2 days.
Poor doggy!

flutterby

Fly away!
You need to have that looked at. Depending on what it is, if not treated promptly you could end up with a dog with chronic eye infections or worse.

By that piece of skin in the corner, do you mean the third eyelid? It's not uncommon for that to become an issue, but I can't think of the diagnostic term.

donna723

"By that piece of skin in the corner, do you mean the third eyelid? It's not uncommon for that to become an issue, but I can't think of the diagnostic term."

I'm not sure what the exact scientific term is, but in Bostons they call that 'cherry eye', it's when that membrane in the corner of their eye pops out, swells, and gets irritated. Usually it goes back down by itself but once in a while it takes surgery to fix it.

I'll have to check and see the exact dosage but it's a good idea to keep some Childrens Benadryl around to give to your dog in case of a sudden allergic reaction. If they get a severe allergic reaction from an insect sting or other allergy, their throat can sometimes swell and close, just like with people. Some use the Benadryl pills but our vet said to use the liquid - It's either 1 tsp per each 10 lbs. or each 20 lbs. I think it's 1 tsp per 20 lbs. but I'll check my 'sources'.

klmno

Well, this morning her eye doesn't look so bad but she wouldn't eat her morning treat and just threw up undigested food from yesterday- including a couple of treats from last night that had been swallowed whole. I can't really afford another vet bill right now. She ate fine yesterday and the rice from the night before must have been digested ok. I think I'll try making her some more of that after I have my coffee.

Lothlorien

What about just calling the vet? Vets are usually pretty good about stuff like that...especially when they know you don't have the money to keep going back and forth.

After my dog went through the urinary tract infection and putting her on the medications for incontinence, it took a few weeks for her stomach to get used to things. I had to make her rice for a couple of weeks. I put liverwurst in it. She still eats liverwurst (about a tbs) at each meal, because I have to grind up her medications in it.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
K--

I think you need to contact the vet. ASAP!

Dogs have lots and lots of loose skin under their fur....so we humans don't always notice if our puppies are "getting puffy"....all that skin and fur hides it pretty well. Swelling or puffiness is most obvious on the face and after what your dog has been through I would be worried about liver failure--first symptoms are "puffiness" or swelling from fluid retention, dark-colored urine, and digestive issues such as vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Get your dog in for bloodwork! Now! They will need to do a CBC to check the level of liver enzymes and anything else that might be out-of-whack.

Rattling some beads for you!

--DaisyF

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yikes.

I understand the finance part....but could you call your vet and ask for ideas? He might be able to give you some suggestions of more things to look for to determine how serious it is. Obviously, getting her to the vet would be best.

Hugs. Keep us informed.