Another post on use for crockpot

DammitJanet

I made a dish for Thanksgiving and I thought I would post it since Susie reminded me with her crockpot post.

This is amazing and so darned easy since you use your crock pot. Bread pudding! Who would have ever thought you could make bread pudding in a crock pot? Not me for sure...lol

You can go on crockpot.com and get the recipe but it is the same basic recipe for bread pudding with the big chunks of stale french bread, milk, eggs, sugar, raisins, vanilla. Then you turn on the crock pot for 2 hours then turn it off and let it sit while off for about half an hour or maybe do like I did and have it go off right before the dinner was done and then we had the dessert later. It was still nice and warm and we had vanilla ice cream with it.

It was so good.

Main thing is though...dont attempt to reheat it in the crock pot or it will burn. Buck did this to it and it burned onto the sides. I have no idea why he didnt just put a serving into the microwave. Oh yeah...it was Buck.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I will have to try it. Never had it but it sounds yummy. Now how does one know french bread is "stale" ?? I don't eat french style bread.

Calamity Jane

Janet, that's great. We sometimes use panettone bread (a sweet holiday bread with dried fruit), which is sold in supermarkets this time of year usually in fancy boxes. I cut it up into cubes, put on a big cookie sheet, oven on 200 degrees and dry it out for about an hour. Take it out and let it cool, and use it for bread pudding. Sometimes I drizzle some Nutella, which is sold usually near the peanut butter aisle, and bake as usual. Let cool, sprinkle with-confectioners' sugar and serve with ice cream.

trinityroyal

CJ, that sounds FABULOUS. Someone or other usually gives me a panettone loaf at Christmas, and after a slice or two I'm usually tired of it. Now I know what to do with the rest of it.

InsaneCdn

French bread says fresh in a paper bag for at least 2 days. Leaving it out dries it out, but doesn't really make it stale. It takes at least three days to get stale french bread. I use the stuff for french toast. Whenever we buy it for eating, I leave a chunk laying around for 3 days before freezing it... and when we have enough, we make french toast.

S

Signorina

Challah bread (or any egg bread) works really well too.

Bread Pudding is H's favorite - I make it with a Jack Daniels Sauce - I used to make it every Christmas Eve -- but I haven't made it in probably 10 years. I think it will be perfect this Christmas eve. PC18 HATES nearly every type of dessert (he will occasionally eat jello, won't touch chocolate) but he LOVES French Toast - I bet he would like bread pudding!

Thanks for the reminder Janet! Is it 2 hours on High or on Low?

DammitJanet

sig, I believe High but make sure by going to the crockpot.com website so I dont mislead you okay. It is under the desserts recipes.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Good uses for that day old (or more) marked down bread you can find in many supermarkets. Much cheaper and oh so useful!