Another school year has ended

mistmouse

Hi All...Many of you won't remember me, but some like Sue and Martie will definitely remember.

Another school year has ended, at least for my difficult child. She is out four days early because of her grades and perfect attendance allowed her to take her finals early. Her MAP testing exempts her from having to take her Algebra and English finals at all.

This was my daughter's eighth grade year of school, I guess in most places that is middle school. She will be going to ninth grade next year and so will officially be in high school.

For those who remember, you know we had quite the battle with the SD and difficult child to keep her in school at all in earlier years. We have struggled with getting them to follow the IEP, and specifically the integral part of her IEP, the BIP. Well, I am happy to say that this school year, difficult child was not sent home from school even one time. She had no significant difficulties and even has learned to manage some things for herself. For example in her advisory class in the mornings (which is only 30 minutes) she had other students who not only teased and made fun of her, but also threw pencils and erasers at the back of her head. Instead of having a meltdown and therefore being the one removed, she went to a teacher and asked to be changed to her advisory class and told her why. Of course nothing was done to the other students, but my difficult child handled it appropriately.

Some of this is due to maturity in some ways on my daughter's part...she now cares if others see her having a meltdown. Part is due to the staff following the IEP, and my difficult child thinks it is due to the fact she developed a close friendship for the first time this year and this other young lady would sometimes remind her to calm down. I am certain all the prayers said contributed greatly to her improvement.

So, all in all, my difficult child has come a long way. She finished junior high/middle school with A's and B's, a perfect attendance, no major problems for an entire school year (in her annual IEP it was mentioned more than once that she is more and more like other typical teen), and she has developed a close friendship.

So, for those who remember, and those who will be supportive even though they weren't there for the entire saga, there is my positive update. I didn't update sooner because I didn't want to jinx anything. School is over, so I can brag.

mistmouse