Any recommendations?

busywend

My difficult child has failed gym twice now. Last summer she could not take it due to having to take 2 other classes in summer school. This summer the new principal is not offering it to students that are not seniors that missed their graudation because of gym class - and they will get their diploma in August.

This means next year she has to take 3 gym classes. That is bordering on emotional abuse as far as I am concerned. She fails because she does not go as it is. I just found this out by the way. Nobody ever called to tell me this.

Is there anything on an IEP that I can have added that will allow for alternative physical education? I am not trying to get her out of gym, she should have to take it (and could use it- a bit overweight). But, 3 classes? That means every day and sometimes twice a day! She will have the most major meltdown ever!!!!!!

allie80

When I was in 10th grade, I was diagnosed with exercise-induced Asthma. It wasn't asthma though, it was full head on depression that effected me both extremely physically and mentally but I didn't know that until later. But, because I was having such difficulty in gym class, I was able to opt out of actual class and instead had essay assignments on nutrition and fitness. I spent gym period in the library and had the hour to complete the essay. I was then graded on that.
I would see if that is an option. I wish they would see that there is a bigger issues if she has failed it twice.
I would check with admin and see if they would allow something like that.
Good luck!

S

Samantha

Yes, if it's disability related, the IEP can modify PE or recommend adaptive PE. 3 credits is a lot for one year. I'd call her case manager right away and have an IEP set up.

Sheila

If she's missing class just because she doesn't go (no medical problem), you may have trouble getting the sd IEP team members to go along with you on this, but it's worth a try.

If it's psychologically related, if you can get a letter from her psychiatrist or psychologist, it should help you with-getting the sd team members to agree to some type of adaptive PE.

It is ridiculous that they let this slide for so long.... Fingers crossed this can be worked out.

busywend

difficult child just hates PE. Does not want to do it at all. So, this does rest on her shoulders. Although, they should have been contacting me when she was skipping class!

I made some progress. She can take 2 courses at the Community College in PE. She will still have to take a PE class at the school during her senior year.

I explained it to difficult child. I told her she had to commit to attending gym class in her senior year - the whole year. If she commits to it I will pay for her to take these other classes at the college in the evening. It is the only way she can graduate on time with her class and walk the stage.

We shall see!

Thanks!!!

Sara PA

My friend's son refused to take gym. Just flat refused. When they the school not to let him graduate because of it, my friend threatened to send him to school until he was 22. (Kids with IEPs can attended school until they graduate or turn 22.) It was immediately written into his IEP that he didn't have to take gym thus allowing him to graduate on time with his class. He qualified for an IEP because of a learning disability which was really an undiagnosed visual problem. His disablity in no way prevented him from taking gym.

pepperidge

I have a question. It seems where we are that HS distinguishes between accommodations and modifications. Accommodations is more time on test etc, but passing getting a passing grade on the normal curriculum. But once they start changing graduation requirements, modifiying content etc, then you are into modified diploma territory. If you HS has a requriement for gym for graduation, yes you could get it escused on IEP grounds, but then would you get the regular diploma?

busywend

I believe you can get an IEP diploma due to modifications in the standard requirements.

However, I was also informed that in NY physical education is also a requirement on the IEP diploma.

Andy

My easy child's school allowed the kids to get phy ed credits through non-school fitness programs - If she went to a gym a certain times a week and worked out, the school would accept that.

Have you talked to your daughter about why she doesn't want to go to gym? When I was in middle school/high school, I could not handle the locker room - the noise level was too hard and I did not believe anyone should be changing clothes in front of anyone else or showering together - disgusting. One of those we teach our kids that privacy is private and then throw them into a locker room saying "you are all the same, just change clothes and shower". Totally wrong in my books. I don't know how my parents did it (am even surprised they didn't tell me to get over it) but I was given the opportunity to wait until the locker room was empty before showering and changing. I think because I did have extra sensitive hearing - didn't take much noise to give me a headache or earache.

Explain to her that just making an effort in the daily tasks will give her a passing grade - they can not fail someone for not being able to do something - but they do look at effort. Then, if the locker room itself is the problem (is she being harrassed?) ask if she can wait until everyone leaves to change and shower - or if that is the last period of the day, send home to change and shower. I also remember that locker time was usually unsupervised - without an adult present, kids can get very mean in locker rooms.

Martie

Wendy,

My ex-difficult child did community activities from 6th grade on in place of PE. He had an emotional reaction to being teased, and had not other reason (physical reason.) His psychiatrist wrote the excuse and that was that. We were never required to document his community participation in TKD, although I could have done that.

I do not believe a modification/accommodation of this type can be used to give an "IEP diploma" but I am not certain about NY state, which has strange diploma rules.

I think th community college idea is a good alternative because if a child has not gone to gym, what is the chance of going to three gym classes. Therefore, three gym classes in an IEP is inappropriate becasue it is a "st up" for failure.

Martie

busywend

Oh yes, I have talked until I am blue in the face about gym class.
Tried to find out why she did not change, particpate and now not even show up!

Each report card she was failing gym class & we could not get her to see why that was so ridiculous to us. Now she is paying the price.

But, I could not set her up for failure - and possibly dropping out. So, even though she made the choices to end up with 3 gym classes her senior year - I am still going to help her be successful if I can.

Thanks for your support!

KTMom91

Does NY require four years of core PE classes? I just found out that, although our district requires four years of PE for graduation, the state of CA only requires two years of core PE classes. Since Miss KT was in marching band, only two semesters counted towards the core requirement. She was going to take PE next year, but somehow talked her way into taking it during the summer instead. Double check the requirements; I've found our district is very heavily on board with NCLB, and I've had to do lots of fussing.

Sara PA

I never heard of an IEP diploma. My friend's son -- the one that had not taking gym written into his IEP -- graduated with a regular diploma. He was fully mainstreamed and taking regular classes.

Martie

Sara,

If students graduate "with their class" mainstreamed or not, they should get a regular diploma. If a student "ages out" at 22 working on IEP goals of self care, for example, usually an IEP diploma is granted. It is fairly harmless in my opinion because the students who receive them are usually so obviously severely disabled that no one would expect grade level performance from them anyway. Disability activists for those with severe disabilities would not agree with me that this is harmless, however.

I think the question originally came up becasue NY state has a history of differentiated h.s. diplomas that have meaning for gen ed students. Most states do not do this, so it would not be an issue.

Martie