Anyone know Blackadder?

Marguerite

easy child 2/difficult child 2 was watching this TV phenomenon today - every flippin' series of it. So every time I walked past (on my infrequent trips to that end of the house - I AM supposed to be resting this leg) I saw different incarnations of the main characters.

husband walked in on it tonight and commented, "I wonder what our CD friends would think of [mentioned the actor's name] in this costume as George? Do you think they would even recognise him?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_(Blackadder_character)

So, folks, here is the challenge. Look at the rather foppish fellow in the Regency outfit, add a five o-clock shadow, some wrinkles and a US accent and can you tell who it is?

Yes, it's "House". Hugh Laurie.

If you can get your hands on any of the Blackadder series, especially form Series II and on, I think you will enjoy it.

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
That almost makes HOUSE look Hysterical.

He is such a tremendous actor.

I haven't seen Blackadder - but will look for it.

trinityroyal

Love, Love, LOVE Blackadder! One of my favourite all-time shows.

If you get a chance, try to find episodes of Jeeves and Wooster. It was a British TV series based on the Jeeves and Wooster books by P.G. Wodehouse. It starred a very young Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, another fabulous British actor.

Also, if you're a Hugh Laurie fan, check out the interviews on YouTube.

Trinity

witzend

"And he says 'Hello, Mrs. Ploppy!' and I say 'Hello, Mr. Ploppy!' My how we did laugh!"

I love Blackadder! One of my favorites was "Jeeves and Wooster" with Hugh Laurie and Steven Frye. Laurie is hilarious as Bertie Woster! Quite the piano player, as well. You should see him do "Minnie the Moocher" in his uppercrust British way, with his manservant, Jeeves, calling out the reply, "Heidi Heidi Heidi Hi, Sir."

Marguerite

I'll have to track down the Jeeves & Wooster stuff. I remember an early TV series of it, back in the 50s. Oh dear, I feel old...

If you're into PG Wodehouse, try to find "Wodehouse Playhouse" with Pauline Collins and John Alderton. From the 70s sometime, I think.

We saw an interview with Stephen Fry (Parkinson) with Cher as another guest. Cher was sitting there during Fry's interview. When Parky asked Stephen Fry, "When did you first realise you were gay?" Fry replied, "I think it must have been when I was born. I looked back over my shoulder and said, 'That's the last time I go up one of those things!'"

You should have seen Cher - she fell off her chair, laughing so hard!

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Marg,

I love Blackadder - watched it for years when I was living in Seattle. Now I'm searching out DVD's to start over again.

witzend

I've heard a lot about the Wodehouse Playhouse. I'm on the hunt. Linda, check your local library for the Blackadder (and Jeeves and Wooster) videos. They're pretty popular, so you may have to go on a waiting list.

'Chelle

We LOVE Blackadder in our house, we have them on video. Should get them on DVD now. My husband's favorite is Baldrick, he thinks he's hilarious.

Marguerite

ILMS, husband wanted me to make people guess as well.

'Chelle, if you like Baldrick (Tony Robinson) there are some other really good things he has done. "World's Worst Jobs" is a beauty, he goes through some of the worst jobs of various ages of civilisation and explains (by actually trying them out) just why those jobs were so bad. Very entertaining, watching him work as a fuller, for example, which required him to stand semi-naked in a vat of stale urine and tramp the cloth for hours until the fibres fluffed up. Or a tanner, or a lime-burner. The point of that series was that although history tells us a lot about the lives of the famous and infamous, a lot of it wouldn't have been possible without a lot of very anonymous people doing some very unpleasant jobs.

We've seen him do a number of documentary programs. He is really very good.

Marg

I have never ever heard of Blackadder!

But Mr. Laurie could give me an exam ANY time.

Anyone with tween or teen kids? Remember the live version of 101 Dalmations, with Jeff Daniels as Roger and Glen Close as Cruella DeVille?

Hugh Laurie played Horace, one of the "bad-uns". He was fantastic.

'Chelle

Marg - I think we've seen all the Worst Jobs in History. They're very interesting, and gives an insight into how the "little guy" lived back then. There was one episode, and I can't remember the name of the job, but it was essentially being the person who wiped the King's backside after he used the toilet. He said that nobles would vie for the position. Nowadays people would just think EEWWW do it yourself, but back then it got you close to the king and could get you more influence. From there he kinda followed it down the chute so to speak and showed how they would clean out where the stuff from the "toilet" ended up. And they would only clean it out a couple times a year so it was quite the job to shovel up. Another EEWWWW. They're very interesting shows, if anyone hasn't seen them and gets a chance to.

witzend

Nowadays people would just think EEWWW do it yourself, but back then it got you close to the king and could get you more influence.

Oh, I thought you said "get you more flatulence."

:rofl: