Anyone use a portable room air conditioner before?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am looking at a portable room a/c. Just wondering if anyone has used one and how well they work.

trinityroyal

Are you talking about a Mr. Slim type unit that is wall mounted? Or something like a portable heater that you can simply plug in. The Mr. Slim works really well, but I don't know about the other kind.

mstang67chic

Going Green
We have a smaller window unit that goes in our room during the summer. I couldn't tell you the BTU's or whatever it is but it works pretty good. We had our central AC replaced this summer and the window unit actually helped the old central air some.

Previously we had one that would occasionally freeze up. I'm not sure if it was because it wasn't draining right or what but we'd just flip it to fan only until it thawed out and then switch it back to ac.

Depending on the size of the room you'll be using it for, you may want to do research on unit sizes and how much space they cool.

Also...from a difficult child standpoint....you'll have to secure it. "SOMEONE" broke into our room by pulling out the AC unit once. ahem. So....I dug into husband's scrap wood stash and cut a 2x4 down to the size needed to keep the window from being opened further thus allowing the removal of the ac unit. I also propped the outside section of the unit up with a post cut to size to help it stay stable and not put so much of a strain on the window frame.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
This isn't wall mounted...its a "Boston Products" 9000btu a/c. It looks like a filing cabinet that's on rollers and is vented out a window.

I've read they only cool a room 5-7%. Other places I've read they cool almost as good as a regular a/c.

We currently supplement the house with a small window unit, but I am looking at this one to use instead of installing the window unit each year, plus we can use it to supplement the a/c in our camper and use it in the horse trailer (which has no a/c and we're planning a week long trip in July....)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Good point, Stang.

I always screw the window unit to the window frame itself, but that certainly wouldn't stop someone from hefting up the whole thing...I never thought of that, but if we use the windwo unit next year, I'll be adding some reinforcement to it.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Yep...it needs secured. I didn't really do it from a general security standpoint. I should but didn't. Our windows have little clip things that flip out to keep the window from being opened beyond a certain point but they are located so that the windown is only open a few inches. I'm sure someone could dislodge or get around the 2x4 I had in the window but it would probably make a lot of noise and be heard.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If you can get up to Northern WI, I have one you can have for FREE. I got it a few years ago and it is the biggest hunk of junk I've ever wasted money on.

Not only was it expensive, but it didn't cool for flip and weighs a ton.

I have the unit and the hardware for mounting the (included) exhaust system to a window.

My advice? Stick in a good window unit of an appropriate size and go with that.

tictoc

We have three of them. All of them are Everstar brand. We couldn't live without them. We acquired ours over the last three summers (one each summer...they are expensive) and the first one we bought is the best. The most recent one is the worst (and loudest), but okay.

They don't work as well as window units and they generate some heat around the venting hose, but they work well for us since we have an old house and some of our windows don't open all the way or are too big to accomodate a window unit.

I've never heard of the brand you mentioned. Look around and see if you can find some online reviews.