Aspirin and Hives

susiestar

Roll With It
I have been getting what are apparently hives caused by both cold and hot - ugly red raised patches on skin for no apparent reason other than I got hot or cold. I was looking for some info on this because it is a big problem for me lately and I found this:

Aspirin sensitivity is observed in up to 67 percent of persons who have recurrent outbreaks of hives. Aspirin alters the metabolism of free fatty acids so that it favors the production of leukotrienes. These are hormonal messengers that make the walls of blood vessels more permeable to histamine. Aspirin also makes the lining of the intestines more permeable to allergens, increasing the risk of reaction to common food allergens such as cheese, chocolate, eggs, milk, pineapple, shellfish, and strawberries. At least one study found taking a single adult aspirin daily for three weeks desensitizes the immune system to aspirin and also to foods, but the benefits vanish if aspirin is discontinued.

I know some of you get hives or have kids/family who do, and thought this might be of interest. It won't help me because I am allergic to aspirin and sulfa drugs - the nasty throat swelling, horrible rash type of allergic. But if it could help one of you, I thought I would post it.

Lothlorien

Interesting. I get hives from the cold....always have. Missy does too. I'm not much of an aspirin taker.....only when I get severe headaches and then it's Excedrin.

I've been on a cold urticaria web site for a while now. A lot of people have good results from going gluten free. You might want to give that a try.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've long suspected that auto-immune disorders, many allergies.......ect are directly related to what goes into our food supply even long before we ever see it. (not just processing to prevent spoilage but before that.......genetically altered grains, livestock fed those altered grains......not to mention the antibiotics, hormones, ect ect) I have recently found via some research some very disturbing information. Some even more disturbing info from more local farmers. And while I've never been huge on the whole "go organic" thing.........(one reason is the cost can be outrageous), Let's just say I'm more than a tad PEEVED off that the govt has this national campaign toting how utterly unhealthy cigarettes are, when our food supply is unsafe to put into our mouths. Smoking is a choice, food you don't have a choice, you have to eat.

easy child and I really started looking into the food supply due to Brandon's chronic diarrhea issues. He also has chronic skin issues, as does Connor. Aubrey used to but hers seems to have finally gone away for the most part.

I will be really happy when I harvest and can my own garden. It's somewhat unnerving to easily find facts to back up your suspicions. I can't really afford to go "organic" per se, it's just too expensive to buy in stores. (and you still have to be careful of what you buy) But at least we've found a local butcher we'll be checking out.......and found a local organic co-op for fruits and veggies until ours ripens. (greenhouses) The co-op is more expensive (not as bad as the store except on eggs), but we won't be using them that much out of the year to matter.

I'd try the gluten free diet. And maybe Loth can tell you, I'm still researching gluten, but from what I'm gathering.......it appears that if it's an "organic" source, people aren't reacting to it, or if they are it is a MUCH smaller amount.

susiestar

Roll With It
I wish going gluten free would help. I have tried it four times over the years to help wth different issues. For me it isn't even part of the answer.

Lisa, you all might think about finding someone who raises cattle and sharing a side of beef or even a whole steer. If you get one from a rancher who who doesn't use all the chemicals/modified feed/etc... and have a good place to process and pack it, the cost can be about what the grocery store charges per pound for regular meat or just a little above and is MUCH higher in quality. It is also leaner and you can have it cut/ground/whatever in the ways that leave you with the cuts you truly like. You just need to have the freezer space. going in with easy child and Nichole and even Travis would make it feasible to split if you all saved up for it a bit. It is a big chunk of $ at one time, but the quality is truly worth it. Plus once you figure out the per pound price, you would probably be surprised at how much lower it is than store bought organic meat.