baby bottles linked to behavioral problems?

klmno

Wonderful... here I have been suspecting steroid and other treatments that were given to difficult child as a baby for allergies and ashmaatic wheezing. So now it could be the name brand bottles being washed in very hot water in the dishwasher- which of course, I used.

TerryJ2

Yes, I remember this. But in regard to cancer, not behavior. Anything is possible, though.
It is basically a very bad idea to microwave anything in plastic, as the heat will cause the plastic to degrade on a molecular level and start floating around in the water. Plastic is known to be carcinogenic and some plastics are more carcinogenic than others.
Never BOIL baby forumla in plastic in the microwave. WARM it in a glass container to slightly above rm temp and then transfer it to a plastic baby bottle. (It stands to reason you wouldn't give boiling water to a baby anyway.)

Here's a good explanation, and a link to the same article: http://www.bisphenol-a.org/whatsNew/20080131.html

Although this study was small in scope, the finding of no difference between old and new bottles is good news. A persistent myth about polycarbonate bottles is that they degrade with use. That myth was not confirmed in this study. Even a nine year old bottle was no different from the new bottles.
The finding of increased migration into boiling water is not news at all. It is a well known general phenomenon that migration levels increase with increasing temperature. That phenomenon has been confirmed in many earlier studies of migration of bisphenol A from polycarbonate bottles.
The further finding that migration into room temperature water remained elevated in bottles previously filled with boiling water is only part of the story. Although the researchers suggested that filling a bottle with boiling water might result in long-term effects (e.g., a permanent increase in migration levels), the study only examined migration once after the treatment with boiling water.
In a far more comprehensive study,(2) researchers at the University of Athens examined migration of bisphenol A from polycarbonate bottles over repeated cycles to determine what happens during real-life repetitive use of the bottles. These researchers also found, not surprisingly, that migration into boiling water was higher than migration into water at a lower temperature. However, the researchers also found that migration levels quickly declined to a baseline level after only 4-8 use cycles, even when boiling water was used in each subsequent cycle. Contrary to what was suggested, these more detailed findings indicate that increased migration with boiling water is a transient effect that quickly recedes with continued use.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Interesting. It did say the newborn rat was hyper after exposure.

I think eventually we'll find a lot of answers to our questions about the "how" and "why" of our kids are going to be in obscure things like this.

Star*

call 911........call 911
my kid was mostly breast fed - so what's HIS excuse.....? LOL

Terry - thanks for the update - I really never knew you were not supposed to heat stuff up in plastic in a microwave -

But I've been VERY leary of those new steam bags for veggies. I just keep thinking - HOW can anything plastic be good for vegetables?

:confused:

klmno

I buy the steam bags, take the veggies out and cook them in a little boiling water. They have better flavor than canned vegies but don't take as long to cook as raw. Works for me!!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am with Star - I breastfed for 13 months, what is Wizard's excuse???

Studies about this have been circulating for quite a while. This is one reason we used the disposable bottle liners. I needed them for storing breastmilk (which you never boil), so we just used them for Wizard, then for the other kids when they came.

I HATE the way the veggies taste when cooked in those bags. They have a strange taste that really bugs me. So we heat them in my French White Corningware (I wanted the set of this for about 10 years before someone finally clued in to them on my Xmas list! thanks stepMIL!!!)

Food really does get a strange taste if you microwave it in plastic, in my opinion. But I have some very strong sensory issues, so......

Susie

skeeter

My son that was actually diagnosed with ADD is the one that was breastfed until he was 13 months old, and never had a bottle at all........

TerryJ2

Right. But overall, my hypothesis theory is that ADD is very genetic, and that if I had to place my bets on anything after 2 yrs of age, I'd go with-lights and movement triggers like TV and video games.
I think the ADHD link could be an allergy that some kids have to certain plastics that makes them hyper. That doesn't mean they WILL be hyper. It's merely a statistical observation. The cancer link is all but proven, on the other hand.

Steely

This research has blown the top off of many plastic water bottle companies, not just baby bottles. This new evidence (albeit controversial) has caused the number one maker of plastic bottles, Nalgene, to recall all of it's water bottles, and replace them with new ones that are BPA free. My store carried hundreds of these bottles, as did the store I worked at before for a different company - both retailers have removed every bottle with the number 7 on the bottom of it - to ensure that none of their plastics have BPA. You can do the same when you are shopping, look at the plastics you are purchasing and look to see if it has a 7 on the bottom. If so, that type of plastic contains BPAs, and I would not purchase it - like bottled water.

As for soup and canned products, I am not sure how we protect ourselves. However, I have decided that with contaminates left and right in our household, like teflon, pharamaceuticals in our drinking water, BPAs, there is only so much we can do. We have probably already been damaged, and did not know it - and will continue to be damaged with other things still undiscovered. Our world is on a steep slippery slope to disaster. The industrial revolution has spiraled out of control, and it should have stopped years ago.