Callback mammogram

nvts

Am sending prayers and thoughts of strength and fortitude! You've got the right perspective lady and we're all here for you!

Beth

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Marg, gentle hugs. My sister in law had a double mastectomy and reconstruction over 20 years ago and she runs circles around me. All of us had positive stories to share; I just know that yours will be another one. Fingers crossed.

Suz

LittleDudesMom

Marg,

you have a wonderful attitude! Given the type and the timing, I'm have confidence you will get through this with positive results. You are a valued and precious member of our community and our love travels to you down under.

Give your man a hug from us!

Sharon

ctmom05

Marguerite,

You sound as tho you have a positive, strong outlook - which is an asset in fighting cancer. Know that every so often, tho, even the strongest among us can get shakey knees.

There are web sites especially designed for "progress reports" so that patients do not have to drain themselves repeating the same details over and over again.

We're with you in spirit.

Marguerite

We finally told difficult child 3. He's taking his time absorbing this. I emphasised that the tumour is the size of my thumbnail and is one of the least nasty. I said I will be fine, the doctors are really good at fixing this kind of cancer, I told him of the two people we know well who have completely recovered from this same cancer. But I also pointed out that while I'm being treated, I will need extra support and will be feeling very sick at times because it's important to make sure they get all the cancer. I kept it positive and although an hour or so later he came up to me and gave me a hug (looking very much like he needed reassurance) he seems to be OK after this. I'll of course tell his therapist about it as soon as I can. We may have to cancel Tuesday's therapist appointment, it depends on how things go for me with the surgeon's appointment beforehand.

Today I finished telling my sisters. I still haven't talked to my eldest brother about it. By now they will be calling one another. The general response form my siblings is, "Crikey! You just can't take a trick, can you?" meaning, I've had more than my fair share of problems.

I've had a few of my closest friends call me to talk. One of them has been through this before, in spades - we both doubt that I'll have anything like as bad a time as she had. She is doing great now, even though she had such an advanced, aggressive cancer which had already invaded almost all her lymph nodes. I'm a lot older than she was, I'm menopausal, this is smaller than hers.

Another friend also rang - she's had the biopsies done, they were negative in her case. All are offering support, physical as well as emotional.

I'm in good hands in many ways. My friend who is a long-term survivor - I have the same surgeon she did.

We're just about to head down to mother in law's place to give her some dinner. We've still got to keep helping her as long as we can, especially as she's only just out of hospital today.

Thanks, everybody, for your support.

Marg

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Ah, Marguerite, I'm so sorry. I believe that your optimism will help you win this war. If you could post a picture of yourself I will put it on my altar and light some candles.

It's hard to watch our children get scared. When I was in hospital after an abdominal hysterectomy the nurse let my IV morphine go dry and I was really suffering. The look of terror on difficult child 2's face was an awful thing to see.

Good luck to you and hugs to Marg's Man!

Mattsmom277

Marg, after seeing the other thread, I backtracked to this thread. I'd been away from the computer and not seen your update. You are such a strong woman, your outlook on life is magnificant!!!

I'm so glad you went for the mammogram when you have. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a quick resolution and as easy a journey as possible as you navigate through this.

(((hugs)))

susiestar

Roll With It
Sending many hugs. I am so sorry it came out this way. Know that my prayers are with you every step of the way, every single moment.

Just for info, there IS a new type of surgery for breast cancer. It creates a pocket much like that used for cosmetic implants. An implant goes into that spot once the cancer is out. There are two types as I can find info today - nipple sparing and skin sparing. Each has limits and benefits. I hope you have some choices and can pick the type of surgery that fits best into your life. Hopefully this is a "once only" occurrence and you only have to cope with this just this one time.

Many hugs to both you and your family. I am sure that they will provide lots of support to you. I also hope that your daughter is able to have frequent screenings as a result of this. It is my current understanding that your daughter is at a higher risk, but any offspring of your sons will not have a significantly higher risk, though your daughter's offspring will. I learned this from my docs when I asked because the only relative to have breast cancer was my paternal Gma. My aunt and her daughter and even her son have a higher chance of breast cancer than I do. I don't really understand why her son has a higher risk, but each doctor I have asked says it is so. maybe because aunt's hubby has a history of it on his side?

Anyway, I am sure your hubby is in shock, as you are. One day at a time, I am sure you are handling things. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Oh, could you pm me your email addy please? Thanks.

graceupongrace

Marg,

Hoping & praying for good results. I have had several of those callbacks, the first a surgical biopsy when I was 35. I know they can be scary. I'm glad they're being cautious and thorough. Better than the alternative.

Marguerite

Grace, you missed my update. It IS the alternative. I do have a confirmed diagnosis of breast cancer.

I see the surgeon tomorrow. I don't expect them to put me in hospital immediately, but sure as eggs if I don't go prepared, husband will have to leave me there and drive back home to pack a bag for me. So I'm taking my packed bag, just in case. I expect there will be more tests (Sentinel Node Biopsy, maybe CT or MRI) before they actually go in for the chop.

My sister just rang - a friend of hers who works in a BreastScreen clinic as sonographer said that since the diagnosis is INVASIVE ductal carcinoma, I should not opt for the lumpectomy but should immediately ask for the full mastectomy.

I've decided - I'll let the surgeon advice me. She has done wonders for my friend whose cancer was much worse, much bigger, much more advanced and who ten years later is cancer-free (as far as anyone can say they are).

One way or another, we'll update you all tomorrow night. Either I will be home to update, or husband will do it.

Thanks, everyone.

Marg

DDD

Sending supportive thoughts and prayers as you face the uncertainty. It's wonderful that you have confidence in your health care professionals. That should make the ordeal much easier. I'll be waiting for the update. Hugs. DDD