"Can you buy me some grades?" -- **updated**

Marguerite

Sounds like difficult child really pulled out all stops and is motivated. It's not easy for them and he's done well considering how bad it has been looking for him.

Marg

LittleDudesMom

:smile: I am totally shocked by this :smile:

:crying: I can't believe you won't buy that poor boy some grades!

:grrr: I'm very dissappointed in you Sheila.

Sharon

WNC Gal

I have a hunch we are in for some challenging school issues in the future too... our daughter has always been a stellar student - coded as intellectually and academically gifted in school - well liked by teachers and involved in extracurricular activities. But nine months ago she inexplicably began to "fall apart" and has been hospitalized ten times in the past nine months. We withdrew her from her middle school in late October in anticipation of her finishing 8th grade and starting 9th grade at a therapeutic boarding school. However, she only lasted 2.5 weeks before getting "kicked out" for suicidal and other self-injurious impulses. She was actually doing ok on schoolwork at the TBS.

Fast forward to Feb 1st after nearly two and a half months of hospitalization at various programs... her treatment team recommends that we take her home to home school as she will never "go along" with the TBS and will use her SI and suicidal impulses as her trump card to get out. So we give it our best and set up a top notch homeschool with subscriptions to some of the finest online curriculums, her own new laptop, school supplies, subscriptions to cool newsletters for kids her age AND a gym membership to work off her stresses.

Well - it didn't go well at all. She basically tried to sleep all day instead of studying, complained constantly of being bored and lonely, and whined about how difficult the math was ... we even got her set up with Sylvan on-line tutoring which is very good and entertaining AND hired a middle school teacher to work with her after school.

Half-way through our homeschooling "experiment" she crashed and needed to be hospitalized, then 6 weeks later tried to overdose so we are now faced with placing her at a PRTF.

She just hung up on me during a phone call to her at the hospital because she told me that she didn't finish her end of grade tests at the hospital because they were too hard. She thought that was ok because we (her family) would be giving her a national test later. I had to tell her that right now, it may be a while before she comes home and is able to test at her leisure with us....

I guess I would welcome any suggestions you might have for the future and how to approach her attitude toward school now that her brilliant brain is befuddled with BiPolar (BP) and Borderline (BPD).

Dreams die hard, eh?

In spite of all of that, she was BARELY scratching the surface with her 8th grade curriculum. We were

TerryJ2

Maybe he'll grow up to work at Enron.

Sorry...

It was actually pretty funny to read, though.

He sure is picking up the pace! Sounds like there was a lot of work he hadn't turned in. It's so aggravating when you know they've done it and it's shoved in their desks somewhere.