Comprehension issues, please help!

Hi all!

I haven't posted in a while. But I can always rely on my good ole group of parents to difficult child's! lol...

My oldest difficult child, 7 years old has a diagnosis of ADHD and was diagnosis in 2005. She has been on several diff. medications. concerta, strattera, adderall, focalin XR, and we decided medications just weren't the key for her. It just wasn't working for her. So she has been on Nordic naturals Omega 3 Fish oil, adult dose of high DHA. This year she went on 2nd grade and she wasn't ready so we went back to 1st. (Like we wanted to do to begin with and teachers fought me on that one.) Now they are in total agreeance that was the best decision we could have made! So anyways, there has been some improvement seen by teachers saying she seems more alert. Very little improvement has been seen overall.

Her biggest problem overall is comprehension. If you don't have comprehension, understanding and know concepts of things it causes problems in many areas. Anything from doing homework, following directions, concept of age appropriate game, and some games that are below her age level. Saying things and asking off the wall questions, when saying her prayers- she tells God that he is sick and she hopes he feels better soon. My poor child is so sweet, I feel for her! Its almost like she isn't "getting it" anything and everything. She is very very forgetful. She has low self esteem, low confidence because she feels like she can't do it.

I have contacted a Doctor in another State and want to get her in to see him but it is very expensive, so we are contacting our ins first.

I am wondering if there might be something else going on neurologically? Does anyone have a clue what else we could have on our hands? I am clueless!

Thanks a bunch!!!!
Jess

Sheila

It would be the very, very rare instance when only pure ADHD is involved. Unfortunately, coexisting conditions are the norm rather than the exception.

There are any number of things that can cause the comprehension problems. Just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:
inability to read body language
receptive language disorder
expressive language disorder
auditory processing disorder
Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)
and many more....

The only way you will be able to sort it out is to get a thorough evaluation.

It's pretty sad when a child misunderstands so much of what is going on in the world around them. My son had a lot of problems with comprehension. (He's much better now, but he's not "cured.")

Marguerite

I was thinking that Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) needed to be considered.

difficult child 1 was originally diagnosed as ADHD but they finally said Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) when he was 15. No comprehension issues there, though.

difficult child 3 has a diagnosis of ADHD plus autism - the language delay and early issues with comprehension being a big thing. he has caught up but the diagnosis stands - the HISTORY of language delay and comprehension issues is why.

There are other possibilities.

I'm thinking the reason the medications for ADHD weren't working, is maybe because it wasn't ADHD? Either that, or the medications weren't the right ones for hr, there are a number of them and it takes time and fiddling sometimes to get it right.

I hope this helps.

Marg

nvts

The good news is that you caught the issue early, AND there are alternative methods of teaching that may help.

I don't know if you've been asked before but "what type of evaluations have been done" (sorry if I'm being repetitive! :smile: )

Have you had a neuropsychologist? That's usually done in a teaching or Children's hospital. If you have: call them and ask for add'l testing and state the concern. If you haven't, you should try to schedule one asap as they usually take a few months to get an appointment. Ask to be put on a cancellation list.

This is really thorough testing and they may be able to find what's fueling which issue.

I just had one done on difficult child 1 and pointed out that there are two lower-case "daughter"'s in his name, yet he still writes them 90% of the time as "bb"s and he's 9. That's pretty odd when it's part of your name at his age. They did add'l testing during the neuro and it turns out that he does have a "read/write" disorder. :soapbox: (I love those "I told you so" moments!)

Let us know how it goes!

Beth

BusynMember

I'd get a neuropsychologist exam. Something's not connecting and to me it sounds like more than ADHD. My daughter has an auditory processing problem severe enough that she needed Learning Disability (LD) until this year (and she still gets Resource). Often she comprehends better when shown not told. However, she "got it" as far as life, appropriate things to say, behaviors, socializing...sounds like more with your kiddo. Good luck.

My difficult child does the exact same thing! Blurts out inappropriate responses. He did do classwork and lost attention in class quite a bit. He didn't start exhibiting other behaviors (Aspie symptoms) until he was 8.

I might not be a bad idea to have her tested at a childrens hospital. I freaked out when I thought that autism, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) (etc) could be a possibility with my child.

He has little self esteem, to ask him what he's feeling can lead to him crying, and he can't find acceptance from the other kids.
Social interaction is hard.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Exactly what is auditory processing disorder like? How does it effect her? They are getting ready to test her for that in school. She is also being re-evaluated for speech. The school and I have clashed many times, and now because i am requesting more therapy they are doing the evaluation. They have dismissed her maynt times from therapy because they said she was doing so well and met her goal. I have disaggreed but how do you argue them???

Anyways, she does have resource once a day.

Thanks again!
Jessica

She has seen a dev. behavior pediatrician, and has been fully evaluated by the school district. I am looking into a doctors office in NC, its a pedistrician psychiatric and a neuro doctor all in one office. The child sees them both and they come up with the best plan for that child depending on there way of learning and what would be best for that child all around. His name is Mel Levine and I have heard excellant things about him.

Thanks again everyone!
Jessica

Sheila

There are different kinds of APDs. As with everything else, Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) impacts individuals differently.

There are some Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) threads in the Sp Ed Archives. This disorder is also known as Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) (Central Auditory Processing Disorder).
The typical school district would not have the sophisticated equipment required to thoroughly assess for APDs. This is actually the discipline of an audiologist with-expertise in APDs. School districts must contract with professionals that they don't have on staff.

If the sd performs the evaluation via a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), you might want to consider asking for an IEE.

Years ago, it was common for speech language pathologists to evaluate for APDs, but that's not so anymore. I'd view an Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) evaluation performed by a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) as more of a screen.

Ironically though, they audiologist diagnosis and the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) provides the therapy.

I've read a lot of articles written by Dr. Levine. I think I have a book or two of his also.

Doing research is good. The more you know, the better position you will be in to help your child. But don't get locked in on Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).

TerryJ2

Hi Jessica, sorry I'm a day late and a dollar short ... you've gotten some great responses.
My son was held back too. I wish we'd done it as early as you did!
But it was the best thing for him.
He, too, had comprehension issues and he is a poor auditory processor. He is slowly coming along. His teacher puts everything on the board, says everything out loud, and also gives handouts. Can't ask for much more than that!
She also gives assignments for book reports where you can do a paper, a poster, a diorama, or give a speech--a great way for kids to pick their best method, but still showing the teacher that they know their stuff.
We had our son tested by a psychologist who was trained in psycho/educational testing--you can tailor the testing that way if you wish (I found it more expedient).
My son still blurts out stuff when he's not paying attention but he's much better now.
I don't have a clue as to why your daughter would think God is sick. Have you asked her? That is something completely different than ADHD. You've got me stumped.

Good luck!

BusynMember

My daughter was really hampered academically by her visual and auditory processing disorders because she could learn by listening or watch. It affected all areas of her learning as she needs to be do things hands on. Even sports, which she excels at, needs to be shown to her--rules and all. She has really had wonderful interventions and is mainstreamed this year. Also, she is very socially appropriate and has appropriate, sensible conversations with her peers. Your daughter reminds me of kids who may be a little on the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) spectrum. NeuroPsychs are the best for that. They're different than Neurologists--my son is Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and the Neurologist truly didn't know what to look for. He was doing EEGs and testing his reflexes. It really sounds like executive function problems, which can be part of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), but I'd do a neuropsychologist evaluation and see what he comes up with. Could be clusters of LDs that can be helped greatly by intensive interventions. Is she getting any?

BusynMember

My daughter was really hampered academically by her visual and auditory processing disorders because she couldn't learn by listening or watching. It affected all areas of her learning as she needs to be do things hands on. Even sports, which she excels at, needs to be shown to her--rules and all. She has really had wonderful interventions and is mainstreamed this year. Also, she is very socially appropriate and has appropriate, sensible conversations with her peers. And she spoke clearly and logically at a young age--THAT she picked up just fine.
I really have no clue what's wrong, but it sounds like more than just processing problems and I think it's smart to see a neurologist. I would also see a neuropsychologist. The "God is sick" thing stumps me too. My son is on the autism spectrum and he tends to copy what he hears on television (even at fourteen), but he never said things that were off-the-wall. I would follow through on all your appointments (and NOT trust the school district testing). Good luck to you!

Terry, I think her thinking God is sick is very random. I don't nessccarily think that she thinks he is sick but whatever pops in her mind is what she says. For instance if she is sick, she may just say at random that God is sick only because its on her mind. Things she does and says are very random and don't make a whole lot of since.

Like her Christmas list...she won't tell me anything that she wants other than a bike and everything that her sister wants for Christmas is what she wants as well. She doesn't think, literally, she doesn't think for herself and if it takes to much thinking she gets very emotional and upset. She has a very hard time trying and pushing her self to complete something and understand it too!

The audiologist are suppose to be evaluating her in the next 2 weeks. The school district is evaluating her to see if she qualifies for speech again. They discharged her a year ago because "she met her goal" and she has been having such a difficult time now so I asked for a evaluation.

So what is an IEE? Sheila had said something about an IEE, I am not sure what it is.

So what about comprehension disorders? How do they effect your child? I know they effect children differently but your child specifically, how is effecting him/her?

Anyone with comprehension disorders, how does it effect you?

Thanks so much guys!!!
Jessica :smile:

BusynMember

Jessica's Mom (pretty name for your daughter, by the way), what do you mean by comprehension disorders? Have you looked up "Executive Function DIsorder?" If not, put it into your search engine and give it a whirl. The thing is, EFD is usually due to another disorder (fun, isn't it?) It is rare for one problem to stand alone. I really don't recognize her symptoms as any disorder I know of, but the closest I can come, as a layperson with NO degree, is possibly autistic spectrum disorder, high functioning (since she can talk). If she had a speech delay that's another symptom as are sensory issues. Here's an online test you can take to see if she scores as having a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) (which is autism spectrum disorder). It can maybe give you something to think about, either way. Here ya go.

http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html

I hope this can help you a little bit. Keep posting, hon. We care.