Could the medications be working this fast?

TerryJ2

difficult child has been on fluoxetine/Prozac for 2-1/2 wks now.
He sat at the kitchen table with-me this a.m. and chatted happily. That's a first!
Yesterday, he refused to wear socks to school (I should have put that on my pet peeve list on WC, LOL!) and then called me an hr later and said his shoes were giving him blisters, and "You were right, Mom, I need socks." Wow! A first! Mom was right! Then he added, "Could you bring me some socks?"
"Maybe, maybe not. I have a cold. I'll see."
I never brought him the socks.
NO meltdown. Just acceptance. Another first!
Also, last week, he forgot his lunch. I brought it to school just as they were eating, and he had ordered ... all deep fried, wheat foods, like chicken strips. I handed him his lunch and he folded the top of the ordered food and handed it to me! Whoa! Another first!
I played classical music on the radio the other day and he didn't seem to notice. Normally he fights me for it ... he wants his rap. Another first!

Don't get me wrong, he's still got his moments. But this is amazing.

Maybe it's just maturity?
(And yes, I have lowered my expectations, so when he does something "normal" I am elated. :laugh:)

crazymama30

Sounds great. Could be the prozac. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know you have to take it for awhile to see it work. Anyways, enjoy it. Sounds great.

M

ML

This is what I noticed when manster medications started to work. Acceptance of things that would previously send him into meltdown mode.

He's on the lowest dose (zoloft for him) and I will not up it if at all possible. It just takes the edge off and gives him some centerdness.... he still has those moments but they are fewer and less intense. He can regain control whereas before he would crash and burn.

I hope this keeps getting better!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I don't have any experience with these medications, so I can't answer to that, but does sound like something good is going on!

Woohoo!

DDD

OMG! How awesome that he "might" have the right medications and can be the sweet child that he wants to be. That happened with one of my children and it was like a miracle. Fingers crossed. DDD

'Chelle

The doctor mentioned it takes 2-3 weeks for medications like Prozac to kick in, and the "upswing" of mood start to occur. So it could be the medication. It's what I notice with my difficult child when taking Zoloft, more accepting of things, and a willingness to do what he HAS to do even though he doesn't want to.

Crossing body parts that things keep getting better.

jal

TerryJ2 - I can attest to it. difficult child started the same medication in the middle of Jan and after about 7-10 days he was doing what your difficult child is doing.. It is like waking from a dream. He is compliant, happy and succeding at school. He has gained confidence and the anger and major tantrums are gone. If he has a tantrum now it is very mild and appropriate for his age (6). A little crying and in a few its over and done. Can go to the store now with-no meltdowns about not getting something.

It has saved our life. We enjoy him so much more now. I actually want to see him when I get home rather than wanting to go somewhere else.

susiestar

Roll With It
Wow!! What positive changes!! I hope they keep up!

does your private school offer the free and reduced price lunches with help from the Federal Government?

If they do, you can get a prescription from the doctor for none of the allergic foods to be served to difficult child. thank you had a list of NINE foods when he started school. They simply kept foods he could eat (I supplied the classroom AND lunchroom with his Tofutti cream cheese so he could have cream cheese crackers if they had a snack he couldn't eat or a lunch he couldn't eat.

They can't alter the lunches with-o the doctor's note and then signature on another form. But once that is done they will monitor his lunch choices and only serve what he CAN have. Takes a great weight off your back.

If they don't have the federal assistance they should still help. But with the fed assist it is mandatory that they follow the doctor's orders.

Just a thought.

The improvement is awesome. Sounds like the prozac is working.

Susie

TerryJ2

Thank you all. I've still got my fingers crossed, too. (Hard to type that way, though. :) )
Thanks for the heads-up on the fed lunch program, SusieStar. I hadn't even thought of that.

BusynMember

Prozac made me a little "happy" (almost too happy) at the two week mark, but it still didn't reach it's full effects. Expect changes. It takes six weeks. I've taken three SSRIs and none were the same at two weeks as they were at six. Two were worse at six and one kicked in for a great effect, but it took the full six weeks. I still take it fifteen years later.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I actually did start seeing a more calming affect in myself with Zoloft at the 2 1/2-3 week mark. It only improved from there.
I had said before that the only reason I stopped taking it was that I needed more medications and I only had a Family doctor on at the time. She was not comfortable doing the BiPolar (BP) medication Dance!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I LOVE HIM -

A SOCK SNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GO BOY!!!!!!!

Love,
Your sock snob Auntie!