Craving busters from Trader Joes

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Trader Joe's sells packages of 100-calorie dark chocolate bars. They're my new secret weapon when I have a chocolate craving, and they're not tiny! (about 2x5 inches). If I want something sweet after dinner, I have one of their frozen Fruit Floe bars. The Caribbean ones have mango, papaya, pineapple and coconut - yum - and they're only 80 calories. They also come in strawberry and lime, and again aren't small (same size as the Froze Fruit bars, only not rock hard).

Another staple is TJ's fat free Greek yogurt. One cup has 100 calories and 20 grams of protein. I just add honey and fruit for a quick and yummy breakfast.

Has anyone else discovered delicious low calorie/low fat foods that have become staples?

Genny

Genny,
I'm so jealous!!! I wish there were a Trader joe's near me. Sadly, whenever I am near one, I can never get anything perishable-they're too far from home. The yogurt idea sounds great, I have to try that with something fat-free from the supermarket.

I try to eat fruit for late-night munchies, or I'll eat a small 1/2 cup of dry cereal-(OK, it's Fruit Loops!)
Other snacks:
fat-free mozz. cheese sticks (60-80 calories)(Polly-o, Sargentto etc.)
fat-free, sugar-free Jello pudding 60 calories-(in the dairy section) (you have got to try the banana fudge by the way!)
-Alyssa

trinityroyal

I have discovered the most delightful yogurt. It's low fat, low carb, made with Splenda.
Comes in many flavours, including mango/pineapple, vanilla, strawbery, peach (mmmm....peach), etc.

It's smooth and creamy and tastes like dessert. The vanilla one is like pudding, and the lemon one is like mousse. I use them where you'd normally use whipped cream. They are SOOO good

(Astro Source is the brand name, I think. I will check next time I'm near the fridge.)

KTMom91

OK, I have to confess that I read the title all wrong. I figured that busters must taste pretty good, if someone was craving them, and since I didn't know what busters were, I'd better find out because I might like them too.

I must be getting hungry.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Another thing I love from Trader Joes are there small packets of cashews, almonds, and dried cranberries. They are delicious and since they are in small packets I don't overeat. They are a great protein boost!

Marguerite

You need to be careful about eating sweet things such as fruit or fruit juice - it's still sugar, even if it's fructose or glucose. Something I've learned (sadly, because I LOVE fruit) is that while you can have a lot of vegetables (certain kinds) in unlimited quantity, fruit should be restricted to one or two serves a day, max. The exact amount depends on how strictly you need to diet. The exception is strawberries, which don't seem to pile on the sugars in the same way.

A suggestion with that yogurt - instead of adding honey, make a savoury dish instead. I add yogurt to casseroles especially curries. Just don't let the dish boil vigorously after you've added the yogurt. Or you can add more yogurt about ten minutes before serving.
Tzaziki is made from a good Greek-style yogurt. Grate cucumber (continental or Lebanese for preference) and add about equal quantities of cucumber and yogurt together. Squeeze in some garlic (fresh), add some salt to taste, a splash of vinegar and if you've got it, some freshly chopped dillweed and/or mint. Serve with chunks of bread or vegetable sticks. It also works well as a dip for meatballs or spread onto flat bread as a base for salad and meat, like a souvlaki or wrap of sorts.

And people often use honey as a sugar substitute when dieting - the only advantage is that because honey has a stronger taste, you might use less of it. But gram for gram, honey contains just as much sugar as that white stuff in the supermarket they call sugar.

As for the various assortment of nuts, dried fruit etc for breakfast - why not incorporate them into your own home-made muesli? I've had to make my own muesli because I can't eat rolled oats (which seem to be in all commercial brands). My doctor advised me to switch to as much wholegrain as possible, so I've used brown rice in various forms as the basis for my muesli. But I've added the dried fruit I like (not too much -although it's surprising how little you can get away with especially if you get used to having less) and also my favourite walnuts. I'm the only one who really likes walnuts so it's a treat for me to have them. My muesli - to about 8 cups of cereal ingredients (puffed brown rice, rolled rye, bran - 2 cups alone of that) I add a cup of crumbled walnuts and a cup of raisins.

So for those of you who like the various dried fruits - try adding them to your muesli. You can get away with more sugary things in the morning, too - you've got all day to burn it off.

And you have given me ideas - I think I'll include dried cranberries in my muesli next time. And I know it's possible to get dried strawberries too. Might have to chop them up, though. I don't want big pieces - I get a big sweet lump, then have to wait for ages before another. Better to have twice as many smaller bits!

Marg

LittleDudesMom

Genny,

I love the triple ginger cookies from Trader Joes!

I am actually so pumped that one is coming to my area. I stop and shop at TJ's every time I'm visiting my Aunt and Uncle in Maryland and stock up. I was actually driving with my cousin and easy child last week in our city's west end and saw a new shopping center being built with a "Trade Joe's" sign! I was soooo excited!

Two of the things I love from TJ's is the canned artichoke hearts, my fav, and all their fabulous cooking sauces - Thai, Indian, etc....

Sharon

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Marg,
How could you tell that I have a sweet tooth, lol? Yes, fruit is my downfall, but much better that the cookies and sweets I used to eat. I limit myself to three servings a day - typically one with breakfast, one as an afternoon snack, and one after dinner. If I have one of the frozen fruit bars I count it as a serving of fruit. I've been working on increasing the number of vegetable servings I eat as well. I track everything I eat on SparkPeople.com, and I now eat anywhere from 5-8 servings a day of fruits and vegetables!

As for the honey, I try and eat 1-2 tablespoons of local, unpasturized honey a day. My dad was a beekeeper and I'm a firm believer in it's therapeutic benefits. I almost never eat refined sugar anymore (except in my chocolate!;)).

Genny