Day Two. I broke.

flutterby

Fly away!
I got through the irritability, the anxiety attacks - ironically, jonesing for a smoke makes me feel like I can't breathe - and all that. Only slept about an hour and a half last night. Took the kids to school. Went back to bed. easy child woke me because difficult child 2's mom was on the phone and the school said he wasn't there (they misplaced him - he was there). Worried about that until we got it figured out. Went back to sleep. Got up to get the kids from school.

Got home. difficult child was making something to eat. I was reading the board. Doing ok with distracting myself, trying not to think about it.

Then all of a sudden, out of nowhere I burst into tears. I don't mean I got teary. I meant out came this sob and all that. Just like that. *snap*

I will try again tomorrow. :(

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know what I do when I'm blue?

I take a breath. :tongue:

YOU CAN DO THIS!~

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather I'm guessing you're trying to do this cold turkey?? If so it might be easier if you tried the patches or something to help you at least for the first week or so.

I doubt I'd make it thru a single day cold turkey. I say this when I've gone 3 or more days without while in hospital........but yeah. Soon as I walked thru their doors I lit up. Doesn't help that husband smokes either.....or that he chain smokes.

I'm gonna take chantix again when I'm done with school. Hopefully it will work well again.

You can do it. One cigarette doesn't mean you have to blow the whole day either. My bro quit just by waiting until he couldn't stand it anymore for the next cig. Within a few weeks he went from 4-6 packs a day to less than a pack........A year later he was done. But he didn't get rid of his security blanket pack until last month on his 2nd year anniversary. He figured it was stale by then anyway. lol

Hugs

flutterby

Fly away!
I react to the adhesive in the patches. And I'm afraid of the psychiatric side effects of Chantix - with my tendency to get those particular effects.

From what I've read, quitting cold turkey is more effective in the long run - as far as staying quit. Or at least as effective. Can't remember the numbers off the top of my head. I know if I can get through 4 or 5 days, I'll be fine. As far as physical withdrawal, anyway. The psychological...well, I have a therapist now. :)

I have a therapist appointment in 20 minutes. I'm going to talk to her about coping techniques.

I'm so disappointed in myself. But, I'll do this. It's just no fun at all.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yeah. I'm allergic to the adhesive on the patches myself. Not that I found them all that helpful. But I know several people who have had luck with them. The gum burns my mouth and stomach like acid on an open wound.........I've only had luck with chantix.......and no psychiatric effects, or any other really to speak of.

Good luck. :)

mstang67chic

Going Green
Don't beat yourself up about it...it happens. You're much braver than I am. There is NO way in HADES I could do this cold turkey without some sort of help. The patch is working ok for me but for you...there's the gum and there are lozenges. If none of those are an option for you...do what I've done as an added help.

Once I was almost through the left over lollipops from Halloween, I went out and bought a bag of Dum-dums and a box of small candy canes. I have a baggie in my purse that's my "travel kit" with lollipops, candy canes and gum. I alternate between the three and it's helping. I also made sure I bought some healthier stuff at the store today like apples. I want to eat a lot and if I do I'm going to be a whale. The lollipops seem to help keep both my mouth and my hands occupied and I've found myself taking the lollipop out of my mouth using the smoker's hold....between my index and middle finger. LOL I'm waiting to see if I try to put one of them out. LOL

You can do this! WE can do this!!!!!

4-6 packs a day???? Are you serious???? OMG! I think I am bad smoking 1 pack a day and I've gone as far as 1 1/2-2, if drinking. I can't even imagine 4-6 packs a day.

Sorry for the diversion Heather, but don't beat yourself up. Just think of how many cigs you HAVEN'T had since you started. That is a great accomplishment too. During the times I have quit (and yes, there were YEARS in-between starting up again), I used to eat sunflower seeds. Something about having to crack them open and put down the shells - - - just kept me and my mouth busy. My Mom used to smoke menthol and she quit by eating cough drops, so she could feel the menthol hit the back of her throat. Here it is about 5 years later and she still eats those things.

Forgive yourself and move on. It will happen....

Last edited:

trinityroyal

Heather, on my path to quitting, I broke down more than once. Thing is, you had far fewer cigs than you normally would, so right there you've already done great things for your body. You CAN do this. Just take it in small chunks. One day at a time. One hour at a time if necessary. Slipping doesn't mean failure, it just means slipping.

Sending you an extra dose of strength, and many hugs.

Trinity

Star*

call 911........call 911
Check the web site for the American Lung Association for techniques and tips on how to taper down and help stop smoking......

From 4-6 to -zero is dangerous and probably should go a little slower. I would say from 4-6 to 2-3 would be a huge improvements. DF couldn't do the patches either. They made him very sick and they would not stick.

There are other alternatives. You'll get there Heather - You have the most important thing licked already - YOU WANT TO STOP.

I'M ROOTING FOR YOU!!!!

DammitJanet

I broke too. Im gonna restart chantix again. I think it was helping but I just couldnt stick with it right then. Number one I hated their Quitnow program or whatever it is. I dont like the intrusion it has on my life to be honest. They are bugging me...lol. Also I had some major stress right as I started it so it wasnt the best time. Gonna try again in a few weeks.