DCF Services In General & In CT?

jal

Has anyone used these services before? They have been recommended by our school, therapist and now the psychiatric hospital in order to get difficult child/us support. Any info would be appreciated.

Loving Abbey 2

Not really a Newbie
It varies quite a bit from state to state and experience to experience. I work with DCF in Mass and have worked at DCYF in Rhode Island. In Mass. DCF can be very helpful in terms of providing additional services and case management that most insurances don't cover. For extreme cases, they can coordinate and fund alternate placements. We have so many families who come to us knowing the benefits. But in RI, they only got involved when the child needed to be removed or close to being removed and had so little funding availible that they aren't able to provide must in terms of services. They have a much different image in RI. So it's really hard to say. You can always call to talk to someone there (ie intake) and just ask about what they can offer you. It's really a coin toss.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
There have been so many stories ~ good & bad ~ when DCF comes into play.

Our family has had great luck & many services when DHS (our state's label) came into our home.

Other families truly regretted having DCF coming into their homes ~ it was nothing but a negative experience.

I would recommend doing much research. I would ask the professionals who are recommending this route to what end should this dept be used? Are they willing to write letters to this dept & state their expectations for your difficult child?

Good luck & keep us updated.