Dealing with Yet Another Nut-Job....

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I swear I attract these people!

As many of you know, I am an artist....and it's pretty common for people to ask about getting a painting or a drawing done and then never actually "order" one. And that's OK. I am fine with it. It's also common to try and find solutions that fit within smaller budgets - payment plans and that sort of thing.

Two years ago - a woman contacted me wanting a series of drawings. We discussed her budget...came up with something at a very low price that would work for her....and then she disappeared.

Almost exactly a year later - this woman wants those drawings....only now she wants to be able to sell them on products on her website. I explain to her that that is a Licensing Agreement....and if she wants to do that, we can negotiate a deal for the rights to the artwork. Instead, she presented me with a very bizarre contract that she had written herself (though she claimed her lawyer wrote it) and basically asked me to give her all sorts of stuff for basically free so that she could retire on the sales of this merchandize.

Very patiently, I explained to her that that is NOT how things work. If she wanted to license artwork - I would be happy to do that, but I am NOT agreeing to the contract she wrote. Her response? Nothing. She never responded...and I figured that was that.

So I heard nothing until about two weeks ago (and almost a year since last we had communicated) and now she is DEMANDING artwork from me to be completed in just a couple of weeks and she needs me to sign her contract. I tell her NO. So now she wants to have meetings with me to 'discuss' the contract. Ugh! What's to discuss? I politely suggest that she find another a different artist. She sent a few emails - to which I responded, but she ignored my answers. So I figure that she's just playing games.

So then she calls me wanting (once again!) to discuss this contract. And now she tells me that she wants six, no three, no four drawings....maybe more....but they need to be finshed ASAP and they need to be all sizes so they can be used on books and T-shirts and pillowcases so she can sell them...

At first, I tried being polite, but eventually I ended up practically shouting into the phone "NO! I DO NOT AGREE TO THIS!"

Then I followed up with an email telling her (once again!) to find another artist.

She responded this morning.

She feels that I am not "enthusiastic" enough about doing these drawings for her, plus I seem very "combative" - so she has decided to find another artist.

:warrior:

Combative - eh?

Maybe if I had been more "combative" a bit sooner, I could have saved myself a few headaches!

InsaneCdn

When I saw who the poster was, and the subject line... I was expecting this to be an intro to Ms Ally's replacement!

At least this kind of nut-case, you can just "blow off", because you don't need anything back from them.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
When I saw who the poster was, and the subject line... I was expecting this to be an intro to Ms Ally's replacement!

At least this kind of nut-case, you can just "blow off", because you don't need anything back from them.

LOL! Oh that's a WHOLE 'nother story....there's more about the Ms Ally fiasco, I just haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

And I never wanted to just "blow off" this other person because at first, it really did seem like it was a legitimate job....and goodness knows I could use the money. Toward the end though, I began to think that the woman was Bi-Polar or something. It was just too strange that she contacted me every September and that the ideas just kept getting bigger and bigger....while the amount she was willing to pay me kept getting smaller and smaller...

Malika

I sympathise, DF. I too, as a freelance, have occasionally had dealings with similarly eccentric individuals. Wearing - but they are generally harmless :)

T

TeDo

Did she ever get the original drawings from you? If she did, I would be watching for your drawings to show up on the internet as she'd planned. If she didn't, good riddance. She does sound a little grandiose and the timing of her contacts (every September) does sound cyclical. Hmmmm

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Did she ever get the original drawings from you? If she did, I would be watching for your drawings to show up on the internet as she'd planned. If she didn't, good riddance. She does sound a little grandiose and the timing of her contacts (every September) does sound cyclical. Hmmmm

Thank goodness - NO! I never start work without some kind of down-payment....so all she did was waste my time.

keista

:rofl:

I also was thinking this was a Ms Ally type of thing!

Anyway, NEXT September, when she contacts you again, just tell her to take the contract and sue you in court. That *might* just keep her busy for a while.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Anyway, NEXT September, when she contacts you again, just tell her to take the contract and sue you in court. That *might* just keep her busy for a while.

LOL! Yeah - I'll have to tell her something like that, I'm sure...

The other part of this that has been so weird is that each time she calls - she acts as if no time at all has past since last she contacted me. Meanwhile - I want to say "Hello? It's been a YEAR!"

InsaneCdn

"Here, let me pull up your file and see where we were at when we last talked... Hmmm... what was your name again? how do you spell that? Strange. I can't seem to find your file. When did you last call? Really? It had to be more than 6 months ago, because I close all inactive files after 6 months. Unfortunately, I'm quite busy right now, and don't have time to set up a new client."...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Draw her a picture of a mouse......pulling it's cheeks apart and making a nasty face with a tongue sticking out giving raspberries.........

ON A PERSONAL NOTE? MY BUMPER STICKER SAYS: I AM FLYPAPER FOR FREAKS.

GOOD FOR YOU OH COMBATIVE ONE.......OR IS THAT OBIONE COMABTIVE MOM

susiestar

Roll With It
Weirdos are everywhere. Sure seems like she never lstened to you at all, and really just wanted to take advantage of you. If she tries to contact you again, tell her that you are not the artist, the artist has moved and ehre is the new number- then give her either dial a prayer or some phone sex number.

H

HaoZi

I'm amazed you didn't tell her to call your lawyer whether or not you have one (and tell her she already had number whether she did or not!).

Star*

call 911........call 911
ROFL @ HaoZi---------I gave your artwork to my lawyer.......they're now hanging in HIS/Her office. lol. They were a gift for the information I obtained for getting rid of NUTBAGS like you.