Depakote and Obsessive Thinking

Josie

We are weaning difficult child 2 off from her Depakote. It was originally given to help with mood stability and headaches. It hasn't helped her headache and her mood has been very stable, so we were getting rid of it to see what happened.

She was taking 1000 mg for a few months and we weaned her down to 500 for a few weeks. This is her fourth day without any. Her mood still seems fine as far as explosiveness, but she does seem to be obsessing over one thing or another. I wouldn't call it an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) thing yet, because it is more about wanting something and that is the only thing she wants for Christmas, but a few hours later, it is something else.

We have had to change some of her other medications, too, during this time and they could also cause an increase in obsessiveness. I'm trying to figure out if we should put her back on the Depakote again. This is the perfect example of why we should only change one at a time, but her physical illness and treatment means nothing is constant anyway.

Has anyone noticed Depakote affecting obsessions one way or the other?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have an adult friend who is on depakote. He's already slightly obsessive so it's hard to tell - but it's a possibility. He started on it about a month ago.

I'll ask if he's noticed anything, or if his wife has. Would also be interesting to see difference or similarity between child and adult.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
FWIW, my difficult child 2 was VERY obsessive before starting Depakote and it has helped tremendously. She may need to go back up on her dosage.