Diet Studies that I could put a fast finger on . . . for Deano & anyone else

Deano & anyone else interested:

I've copied & pasted some info that I could get my hands on quick (sorry, it is 25 pages on my Word document). Don't let the autism headings keep you from reading some of them. The research in Autism is going to help the professionals with our children, because Austism is where the $$ are going right now. Biological treatments that help autism will help many of our children too.

Happy Reading! Straw
biggrin.gif

(This should keep your doctor busy for a while if he reads them and looks up all the bibliography!
smile.gif
)

IS AUTISM A G-ALPHA PROTEIN DEFECT REVERSIBLE WITH NATURAL VITAMIN A?
Mary N. Megson, M.D., F.A.A.P.
Developmental Pediatrician
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Medical College of Virginia Hospitals/
Virginia Commonwealth University
Pediatric and Adolescent Ability Center
7229 Forest Avenue, Suite 211
Richmond, VA 23226
(NOTE: This article was copied and pasted from Dr. Megson's website at http://www.megson.com)
Abstract
Autism may be a disorder linked to the disruption of the G-alpha protein, affecting retinoid receptors in the brain. A study of sixty autistic children suggests that autism may be caused by inserting a G-alpha protein defect, the pertussis toxin found in the D.P.T. vaccine, into genetically at-risk children. This toxin separates the G-alpha protein from retinoid receptors. Those most at risk report a family history of at least one parent with a pre-existing G-alpha protein defect, including night blindness, pseudohypoparathyroidism or adenoma of the thyroid or pituitary gland.
Natural Vitamin A may reconnect the retinoid receptors critical for vision, sensory perception, language processing and attention. Autism spectrum disorders have increased from 1 in 10,000 in 1978 to 1 in 300 is some US communities in 1999. Recent evidence indicates that autism is a disorder of the nervous system and the immune system, affecting multiple metabolic pathways.
Autism has been defined by DSM-IV criteria as a childhood behavioral and neurological disorder with onset prior to three years of age. Autistic children and adults have qualitative impairments in social interaction and communication, including either a delay in or complete lack of language development. Furthermore, many people with autism engage in restrictive patterns of behavior including rigid adherence to routines and/or repetitive motor mannerisms such as hand flapping (1).
Autistic spectrum disorders have increased from 1 in 10,000 in 1978 to 1 in 300 is some US communities in 1999 (2). Recent evidence indicates that autism is a disorder of the nervous system and the immune system, and it affects multiple metabolic pathways.
This study of 60 autistic children and their families suggests that inserting a G-alpha protein defect, namely the pertussis toxin in the D.P.T. vaccine, (3) into genetically at-risk children causes autism. This toxin separates the G-alpha protein from retinoid receptors. Those most at risk report a family history of at least one parent with a pre-existing G-alpha protein defect, exhibited in disorders such as night blindness, pseudohypoparathyroidism or adenoma of the thyroid or pituitary gland (4).
This hypothesis asserts that treating these children with natural cis forms of Vitamin A may have the effect of reconnecting the hippocampal retinoid receptor pathways that are critical for vision, sensory perception, language processing and attention (5).
Many of these especially vulnerable children have tissue types of HREs DR 3, DR4, and DR5 (6). These particular tissue types form the tightest bonds with blocked RAR and RXR retinoid receptors (7).
Autism is a true developmental disorder. Many of these children are exposed to wheat at nine months, followed by exposure to the measles antigen at 12 to 15 months (8). The human measles antibody that is produced cross-reacts with intermediate filaments, which are known to be important for maintaining tight junctions and gap junctions between cells, gut mucosal integrity and cell to cell communication (10)(11).
Many of these children, who need natural, unsaturated cis forms of Vitamin A found in sources such as cold water fish like salmon, or cod, liver, kidney, and milkfat, are not getting this in the modern diet. Instead, they are dependent on Vitamin A Palmitate, found in commercial infant formula and lowfat milk. Unfortunately, absorption of Vitamin A Palmitate requires an intact gut mucosal microvilli surface at the right PH, in the presence of bile for metabolism (12). However, many of these children already have damaged mucosal surfaces due to unrecognized wheat allergy or intolerances.
The Role of Vaccinations in G-Alpha Protein Defects
When the live viral measles vaccine is given, it depletes the children of their existing supply of Vitamin A (13), which negatively impacts the retinoid receptors. Natural Vitamin A, in the cis form, is important for activation of T and B cells for long-term immune memory to develop (14) and is necessary for natural killer cell function (15). Scrimshaw, et al. (1968) reviewed over 50 studies of infection and nutrition and wrote, "no nutritional deficiency in the animal kingdom is more consistently synergistic with infection than that of Vitamin A" (16).
If artificial Vitamin A Palmitate binds the now free G-alpha protein, it deactivates by 90% the "off switch" for multiple metabolic pathways, involved in vision and cell growth, and disrupts hormonal regulation and metabolism of lipids, protein and glycogen (17). Measles, mumps and rubella titers are either significantly elevated or negative, in spite of one or two doses of the vaccine given to many of these children. Fish oils contain one retinoid metabolite, alpha 14 hydroxyretroretinol that has a role in T-cell activation, vision and growth of lymphoblasts (18). Further research is needed to understand the complete role of these metabolites in the immune system.
At 18 months of age, when the pertussis toxin is added, as "lymphocytosis proliferating factor," it creates a chronic autoimmune monocytic infiltration of the lamina propia in the gut mucosa (19) and may disconnect the G-alpha protein pathways, leaving some G-alpha modulated pathways unopposed. Consequently, the non-specific branch of the immune system is turned on, and without retinoid switching, cannot be down-regulated. The metabolic consequences could be far-reaching.
These 60 children and their families reveal possible consequences of losing the "off-switch" in G-alpha protein modulated pathways through abnormalities in lipid, glucose and protein metabolism in hormone regulation and in oncogene suppression and autoimmune disorders.

Well I will archive this one and I have saved the info to hit my doctor up with it. Like it will do any good!!!
Thanks

------------------
7 yr old girl Bipolar/ADD/ODD
Currently on a new natural treatment (wish me luck)
off ALL medications!! Distributor of Blue green algae!
Fav. Funny quote- "Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll
probably still be a dog. There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy

"With out God, my life would fall apart"