difficult child 3 - violent rage. Strattera?

klmno

Another example is Celexa and Lexapro. Lexapro is almost the same as Celexa with some marginal differences in effectiveness and side effect profile.

I don't want to hi-jack Marg's thread, but I thought lexapro was an anti-anxiety medication and celexa was an AD- which one do I have wrong?

smallworld

Lexapro and Celexa are both SSRI antidepressants (closely related in chemical composition). Both treat anxiety and depression.

Prozac is the only AD that is FDA-approved for the treatment of depression in children ages 8 and up. Prozac, Zoloft, Luvox and the tricyclic Anafranil are the only ADs that are FDA-approved for the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in children. Strattera is FDA-approved for the treatment of ADHD in children ages 6 and up.

To correct another misconception: A bad reaction to a stimulant or an AD does not a bipolar diagnosis make. Some kids just have a bad reaction or "activation" from theese medications, but do not have the hallmark symptoms of bipolar disorder apart from their bad medication reaction.

klmno

Thanks, Smallworld-both those points clarified things for me!!

I apologize for putting a detour in your thread, Marg!

Marguerite

I didn't think I'd have time - I have to leave in about two minutes - but I have lefta message with the pediatrician, he will be in at 11 and should call me back then. I'm heading out WITHOUT difficult child 3, the receptionist said that since he was in less than a week ago wwe should be able to sort it out over the phone. here's hoping!

And no worries about hijacking the thread briefly - it's all info I need as well, our medications are a little different here.

Must dash.

Marg

Marguerite

I heard from the pediatrician while we were out. He said to take difficult child 3 off the Strattera, he said he was disappointed but not surprised. I could hear his eyebrows rising when I said difficult child 3 had got physically violent as well as abusive and aggressive; I said we had already stopped the Strattera and were seeing him returning to what we recognise as normal. Even yesterday, he wasn't himself; he was quiet and subdued, cooperative but seemed very down. As difficult child 1 said when we told him about this today while we were out, "It's post-tantrum rebound." Speaking from experience!

I spoke to difficult child 3 this afternoon, about how he felt now compared to how he felt on Saturday. He said he felt no different. I said, "So was it everybody else who seemed horrible while you were on the Strattera?"
He said, "Yes, you were all being mean to me, really tough, and I felt it wasn't fair."

I thanked him for being honest and said, "Your brother and sister are like this too, when they have problems with their medications - they don't notice any difference in themselves, they just see everybody else being irritable with them and unreasonable. But it is because TO US, we have problems with your tone of voice, your attitude and so on, you seem much more difficult. I wish I'd had a video recorder on you, because I'm sure if I played it back to you now, you would be surprised and a bit horrified. We're not angry with you, we've worked out that it was medications being wrong for you that was the problem, but we need to learn from this."

It's a sign of how much he's recovered from this, that we were able to say this without him getting aggressive about it. I did make it clear that I was NOT saying it as criticism, I was simply recounting and explaining.

We had instituted a system of working on his Maths (and computer gaming!) for fifteen minutes each per day, all through our holidays (which are our summer holidays, the new school year doesn't begin until end January). He missed yesterday, but otherwise has been quite willingly cooperating. He's supposed to assess his performance (how much work he does; how easy it is; what his "Big Brain Academy" score is on the Wii) to see how well (or not) he is functioning, at what time of day and what medication dosage.

Of course, we're trying to accomplish two things here. First, we're trying to ascertain his stability on medications. And second, he has to catch up on a lot of schoolwork. This way it's fairly painless.

He functioned well academically on Saturday, not so good today. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

husband collects the family from Perth tonight, tomorrow is likely to be busy.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

Marg