difficult child 3's photo for charity

Marguerite

Wanna see my darling boy's photo? Read on...

husband & I just got back from the official launch of Cystic Fibrosis Australia's 2007 charity drive. Their theme is "Sixty Five Roses" (from the story of a little boy who misunderstood what his mother was saying when she talked about CF - it's what he thought she was saying instead).

CFA (Cystic Fibrosis Australia) asked 65 artists to each do a piece of art in their own distinctive style, on the theme of a rose. The artworks were donated and are being auctioned, all proceeds going towards research into cystic fibrosis. Because our village is full of artists they asked a handful from our area. One they asked is a friend and neighbour of ours.

This event was held almost under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, a few doors down from the wedding we went to a couple of months ago. Definitely a posh affair, although not too much snobbery, thank goodness.

We found out tonight that there is actually a website for the auction house, so if you want to see my neighbour's artwork which includes a lovely photo of difficult child 3, here it is:
http://www.lawsonsonline.com/Auctions/ItemDisplay.aspx?id=4270

The rosebud is from easy child 2/difficult child 2's rose bushes; the sea scene is about half an hour along the south road from our village; he took the photo at sunrise and then photoshopped in the rosebud and difficult child 3. He's promised us a copy.

It was funny tonight - there were about five of our local artists there (not all were able to attend) so husband & I kept bumping into old friends whose work was also on display. We're not really arty people, we just sounded like it. Our photographer mate is a nonconformist - while everyone else was neat, tidy and in a lot of cases, formal - he wore a T-shirt, jeans and a striped unbuttoned shirt over the lot. Sunglasses pushed up on unbrushed, unkempt hair. He looked like I-don't-know-what, but he's one of Sydney's best artistic photographers. And a total ratbag.

difficult child 3 was unable to come along because he is under 18, the legal age for someone to attend a function where alcohol is being served. I think he would have been bored, anyway. He would have known some of the people - two of the other artists have children at the local school, one is the mother of a former classmate.

It was fun to be at such an upmarket social event and feel like we've got cachet because we know a number of the artists there. But there is no glamour for us - hard to have that, when we're used to seeing each other sleepy-eyed in the mornings, wearing trakky-daks (tracksuit pants) as we drop kids off at school or dropping in to the shop for an emergency carton of milk.

So if you want to have a peek at what our beautiful boy looks like, check out the link above. I think it expires on Friday.

Let me know what you think.

Marg

wakeupcall

Oh MARG.....what a lovely photo!! Handsome, handsome boy you have there! He looks so grown up, doesn't he? Thanks so much for sharing with us. He's as handsome as can be...(must take after his mother!!).

Marguerite

Thanks for the compliments, but he actually takes after husband's father (and husband). I think all he gets from me is maybe the mouth (in every way!). He's a fair bit like easy child, although she has my eyes.

What I love about our boy - he has the nature to match. He has the scrupulous honesty and law-abiding nature (his laws, though) so common in autism. When we handle him gently (like rocking a baby in a cradle) we see it. When he's stressed or anxious - very different.

A women who is senior in the charity saw this piece come in and immediately said, "That child has a very familiar 'look' - does he have Asperger's?" She has an older son with Asperger's. It was actually one of the other artists who told me that, another local friend who happened to be there at the time. She introduced me to this woman, we had a chance to briefly compare notes.

Marg

Oh Marg,

What a handsome fella you got there! What a lovely picture.

My nephew has CF, he is now 24 and NO ONE thought he'd live to see his 20's. He is strong willed if not strong in body and has an amazing faith. I am always afraid when the phone rings late in the night!!

Sounds like you had a nice evening out, I love art shows, art of any kind!! I just drag husband along with me every chance I get.

Hugs,
Vickie

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
What a handsome young man!!! What a wonderful keepsake for you if you get a copy!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Marg,

Thanks so much for sharing this absolutely beautiful picture!!! difficult child 3 is so handsome!!! It is so nice to "meet" difficult child 3!!! All of your hard work, excellent parenting, and love for difficult child 3 really shines through in this post... WFEN

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
What a wonderful photo, Marg. The caption also gave me chills (not in a bad way). Very special.

Suz