difficult child and progress

Wiped Out

Staff member
It has now been over 7 weeks since we last increased difficult child's medications. Since then he has not had any violent episodes!!!!!!! :dance:

His swearing has continued to decrease as we continue to time him out every single time he is swearing.

We have been able to have easy child babysit him for short periods while he is awake four times!! :princess:

He also had a great first week of school! I did feel sorry for him on Friday as I went to pick him up. husband had told him to wait in husband's room after school for me to get him. He did and the sub had a fit, yelled at him and called the office. When I went to pick him up the sub was rude to me and told me he was in the office because he didn't belong in the room. Seems she really reamed him out and he was just following directions. When I went to pick him up in the office I could tell he had been crying. The principal said how well he had followed directions. When I got him in the car he just melted down-totally crying and upset by the way he had been treated. He doesn't cry easily so I'm not happy with-that substitute. :nonono:

I'm not happy we haven't had his IEP implementation meeting that was supposed to happen before the school year-it is now set for Sept. 17th. After everything we went through last year I thought for sure meeting would happen as they were supposed to and the reading program would be in place. I am going to be very adamant they follow his IEP this year! My poor guy is in 5th grade and still reading at a kindergarten level.

We have a psychiatrist appointment. tomorrow and don't have much to report-just that he is doing really well. Oh and sometimes I'm a bit worried because since the Topomax increase we have noticed more word retrieval issues.

I honestly don't remember him having this good of a stretch EVER!

Of course, he is still very much difficult child but it is nice to see some progress! :dance:

F

flutterbee

Wonderful update! :princess:

I would be spitting mad at that sub. Her behavior was completely uncalled for. Shame on her.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh WOW! Sharon, what a fabulous update!!! :bravo:

I am truely impressed with how well difficult child is doing. And that easy child has been able to watch him a few times!! This is definately progress!!

Too bad sub teacher reemed him over following your directions. But He Followed Directions!! Awesome. :thumb:

Keeping my fingers crossed this lasts for a long time and proves to be a wonderful year for difficult child!! :smile:

tiredmommy

Sharon,
I'm really happy he is doing so well. Try to hold some of this joy in your heart for the next time he backslides. It's a true gift to know he can move forward and maintain this long.
I remember feeling guilty the first time Duckie reacted with tears rather than raging. A mother shouldn't be happy that their child cried, but it was so much more appropriate that I couldn't help but feel a little joyful.
Fingers crossed and prayers said that you get more of the good from difficult child for a long time to come.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:dance: :princess: :bravo:

Sharon, thanks for sharing such a positive update!!! It does a mom's heart good to have these bits of time - almost makes it all worth while. :smile:

Sharon,

I'm so happy that difficult child is doing so well!!! Way To Go difficult child :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:!!!

I'll be thinking of you on Sept. 17th... Our SD stalls things too. It gets me so angry :grrr:!!! I'm also surprised after reading your posts last year that the reading program isn't in place yet :grrr:...

I think you're smart to stay on top of things this year!!! I've found, at least in my SD, that being too nice gets me absolutely nowhere!!! But, as the old saying goes, "You get more with sugar than with vinegar", so I'm always extremely polite and pleasant no matter what I have to do to get what difficult children need... (I just crumble at home later :sad: when I'm alone). It's a full time job in itself!!! We have to wear so many hats at once - actress, negotiator (SP?), researcher, etc...

You're an excellent:warrior:mom!!! I know difficult child will get that reading program ASAP!!!

We can celebrate :smile: with a cyberparty later :smile: :smile: - Marguerita's ok??? WFEN :flower:

Fran

Former desparate mom
What a great update. 7 wks is a long time for your difficult child. I'm just tickled to hear his swearing is decreasing.
The sub was obnoxious. Being mean to kids no matter the reason speaks volumes of her/his character.
Good for difficult child for handling it. What a nasty situation.

Keep up the good work. This is progress. I always try to remember steps forward and build on it. If he can do this, then he can do other things. It gives us a bit of hope for the future.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

what great news! :bravo: :princess:

The sub was obnoxious but difficult child held it together - that's progress! He could have been disrespectful and obnoxious back.

My difficult child began to gain more control and maturity in fifth grade. I'm keeping my body in pretzel status in hopes this continues :smile: (for both of us).

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! Your support really does mean so much!

We had his psychiatrist appointment. He was thrilled to hear how well difficult child is doing. He even said if he is doing so well next month I can call and cancel his appointment. and we'll just keep the November one. I never thought I would see the day when we wouldn't have to go every single month!!

After talking to husband today he said the principal even thought the sub was a grouch. I also talked to my best friend who teaches at the school and she said the sub was even rude to her!

WFEN-Margaritas-yumm! I haven't had one in a long time!