difficult child HAS A NEW HOBBY

hearthope

Wanted to post something positive about my son...It has been so long...

He has taken up boxing :hammer:

There is a gym here (I wasn't aware of it before) and an ex-marine trainer that sees potential in my son and has sort of taken him under his wing.

All I know is that currently he is up at 6 to go to work, gets off at around 4:30, then heads to the gym and comes home by 9:00.

He wanted to box when he was younger and I said no way.
I have my own fears of head injuries.

But...He sought this out himself
He arranged transportation to and from
Instead of hanging out with his buddies doing @#$#@,
he is in a gym training.
And as far as anger management, well, he has something to take all that aggression out of his system.

I don't like it, but I like the fact that he is setting a goal, he plans to box a match this fri, so he is trying to get as prepared as possible to win.

Just wanted to share that I do see a small slither of light......

AliceLee

Hearthope, I see that as a positive hobby for him, too. Its keeping him busy, in shape, and is an outlet for agression. Hopefully he uses one of those helmet-thingies when he's training. It's way better than drinking/drugging!!!

saving grace

Thats great. It takes alot for our difficult child's to seek out and follow through with anything positive. Good for him. This choice seems to be a great outlet for his anger and also puts him in an environment that could teach him how to be a man.

Grace

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I agree. I think this is wonderful! My difficult child used to just thrive under the attention of a male role model (in his case, male shop teachers) and it helped him so much. I hope your son doesn't get hurt, of course, but hopefully this coach will teach him how to box and dodge the punches that would really hurt him....not to mention the added bonus of working off a lot of negative energy that won't be directed at you!

Fingers crossed!

Suz

Loris

That's fantastic! Sounds very hopeful, to me. Sound as if he is starting to be responsible. His mentor will also be helpful, I'm sure. Great news.

KFld

Sometimes that is what it takes is something for them to pour all their time and energy into. Hope he continues and gets something really positive from his training.

hearthope

I am not getting too excited, I have learned the hard way that his ideas come and go like the wind.

I hope he stays with it, only time will tell.

We sat down and went over the expectations we have if he is going to remain in the home. After a little defensive backtalking, we managed to all come to an agreement (that in itself is amazing)

So we are making tiny,little baby steps in the right direction and just taking one day at a time.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
After paying money for football and wrestling equipment I learned to wait two weeks before I put the money out for any athletic activities for my difficult child. This came in handy when he finally decided hockey was going to be his "sport". He didn't last longer than seven days in any of these activities. That was when he was in high school, but hoping your difficult child can stick with it.

:faint:

hearthope

before he turned in to a full fledge difficult child, my son played baseball, basketball and football.
His true love was football. He has played since pee-wee and was truly a gifted athlete.

He stopped playing in his 10 grade yr and has never returned.

I am hoping that being back in the gym working out brings back good memories for him. He used to live in the gym working out.

Maybe some self satisfaction and positive energy will make a difference