difficult child has been on medications for 7 days now

F

flutterbee

Lexapro 10mg for 2 weeks, then 20mg. I know it's early, but I've been told that the anxiety portion starts to kick in almost immediately and WOW, what a difference.

My child actually smiles - laughs, even - is much less agitated, angry, defiant and much more open to suggestion and support. She's even sleeping much better. No meltdowns or battles since she started the medications.

Of course, we had a trial pack and I wanted to make sure she was actually going to take it before getting the prior-auth the insurance company needs for about any medication prescribed. So, I called for prior-auth after day 5. Still no answer. The trial pack is gone. If we get no answer, I'll have to cut my lexapro in half for her. There has to be something that says how long the insurance company has to respond. Waiting 2 or more days for a medication that is needed is unacceptable.

The silver lining in that cloud is that she hates taking medications that are cut because she can taste them, but she isn't balking at doing it if needed.

Please keep fingers crossed that this continues. We've been down this road and then she stops taking them and we start all over. I think this time she has more self-awareness, so I'm hoping that this time will stick.

TerryJ2

Way To Go, Heather! That is so promising! Oh, how nice it is when we can see the diff in our kids, and see how happy they can be.
Good luck with-the ins. company. Sigh.

Nancy

Hetaher call the dr and see if they will give you more samples until you hear from the insurance company. Fingers crossed that the medication continues to work.

Nancy

F

flutterbee

Nancy, my brain isn't functioning well today and I didn't even think of that. By the time I read your post, I wouldn't have had time to get to the doctor's office before they closed.

I take Lexapro 20mg and will just cut them in half. I'll have to pick up a pill cutter. However, if we haven't gotten the authorization by Monday, I'll get more samples.

It's ridiculous how long the insurance company takes. And the big problem - this is the secondary insurance. If I had the money, I'd just pay the copay on the primary and get reimbursed, but I just don't have it right now.

Steely

SO glad to hear that difficult child is on medications again for that depression. And that she is compliant! YAY:D
I am sure the insurance thing will be figured out soon.
Hugs.

BestICan

This community rocks.
This is great news! I seem to remember that you and difficult child were having a really hard time recently. I'm really glad to hear that things are improving. Good luck getting the insurance situation worked out.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Heather,
It's so good to hear you are seeing improvement. Lately my easy child has seemed so depressed I've started to think she is either not taking her medications but pretending to or needs something different. I hope your difficult child continues to take the medications!

janebrain

Hi Heather,
when my difficult child 1 was 14 or 15 she was so depressed she just stayed in bed all day (it was summer, no school). She was put on Lexapro and very quickly we also saw a change. She was able to start going places without having to cling to me and she had energy to get out of bed and start participating in life again. It really did help (unfortunately she also had the energy to get into lots of trouble) with her depression.
So happy to hear of the improvement in your difficult child!
Jane

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm so glad it's working for her. I was also going to suggest asking for more samples until the insurance co comes thru.

Keeping fingers crossed Wynter continues to take them with great success.

M

ML

This sounds so promising. I'm really happy to hear that the lexapro is working.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Heather,

What wonderful news. Yup, get those samples.....I love samples. I always insist on a couple of weeks of samples to have in the house for the tweedles....just in case. I never again want to run out of medications, you know, the ones that work. Never again!
:faint::coffee2::hammer::nurse::stopglass:

Do you think I'm making a point here ~ that I've run out of medications & scripts at one time or another? Don't do it! Imagine me with chunks of hair torn out of my head - it was ugly. :scared::wildone::rofl:

meowbunny

I'm so glad the medications are helping. You've both been so miserable lately.

Does W keep a diary? It might be interesting for her to read how miserable she was compared to how she is feeling as the medications help her. It might make a huge difference when she reaches the point that she thinks she doesn't need the medications any more.

In the meantime, I'm doing a happy dance for you. (Sorry, no nekkid chicken dance for this chickie.)