difficult child wants a tutor

K

Kjs

difficult child is excited about high school next year. He ASKED if he can have a math tutor so he can really understand Algebra before school starts.

Sure. Sounds wonderful. But HOW and WHERE do I find one?

All I can find is Sylvan, Huntington and others as such. I can't afford those. I just want a person who can spend an hour or two a week with difficult child. He did ok in math, just wants to really understand it.

Any idea's on where or how I can find one? difficult child suggested a friends sister who is in honors math. 17 years old. He asked her and she said yes.

Later he adds "she's really hot". I also do not have a book. Where would they begin, where would we get the book..Library?? Would he actually listen to her or would he be in a different world??

meowbunny

He might moon over her a bit but if he's motivated and she can keep him on track, it might work out well. If not, try for a another student who's not as cute and preferably male. Sometimes, though, a cute girl is the best motivator for a young male teen to do well.

For books, try the library, used book stores, online educational book stores.

Oh, and wow! on wanting to be tutored. It is rare for our kids to admit they need help, let alone accept it.

jannie

trying to survive....
I would contact the school and find out about a summer packet. In our school system they pass out "optional" math packets which will help get ready for the year. If they don't have packets, then perhaps you can check out a book for the summer or just go to school type of teacher and/or homeschool book store and I'm certain they have an algebra workbook. I think it's a great idea to get a tutor. The high school may also have names of tutors. An honor's high school student may be ideal.

JJJ

Your local library should have the book or you may be able to sign one out from the school (especially if he is on an IEP).

LittleDudesMom

Good for him for wanting a tutor - I guess you just have to see how it goes with her. I was going to suggest your local university or contact the high school for a math honors student. As for a book, call the high school and see if you can go up and pick up a freshman math book. A teaching store, costco, or your local office supply store carry workbooks.

Let us know how it goes.

Sharon

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Very cool - difficult child wants a tutor (can your difficult child convince my difficult child to do the same??!!) I would start with the school - see if they have "peer tutoring" . I think the "hot" girl may not be a bad idea. It couldn't hurt to see how it goes and see if difficult child is learning anything from her. My understanding is that peer tutoring can be very helpful. As said before, if he's that motivated - he will learn from her. Good luck! Keep us posted.
-Dara

mstang67chic

Going Green
I would definately start with your library. If things don't work out with this girl, they might have a program. Ours has a literacy program and also has tutors available in various subjects.

Good for him for doing this on his own!

JodyS

Many teachers tutor over the summer. Check with your school for recommendations. We have used them before and the one teacher we had did not charge if her grades and test scores didn't improve - amazing! I would let the tutor pick out or recommend the book.

W

Wonderful Family

There are a ton of online resources in which you can dowload packets - one is www.math.com; our local public school district also has loads of links to different sites. You can download the subjects of interest and then let the tutor work with them. With homeschooling such a popular choice; and google on the subject will turn up the items of interest. I do this for teaching science/biology since difficult child's school isn't as strong in this area.