difficult child's grades from summer.

klmno

He made above 90 in math, biology, and english (these are the only core classes they take during summer). He made a 65 in PE.

Lord, help me!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Those are AWESOME grades for his academic subjects! (Right? 90+ is an A?)

What happened in PE? Did he just not participate? I thought he was swimming again...

svengandhi

I had to laugh. One semester I got a 100 in social studies and a 66 in PE. It doesn't count in your GPA so I don't give a hoot about it. I tell my kids just pass gym and it works - they get A's and B's to show me up.

klmno

As far as the good grades in core subjects- he was in 8th grade (middle school) last year and missed over 20 days before his incarceration in Feb. and never took his standards of learnings tests. Once he was inacarcerated, they put him in detention, psychiatric hospital, and then commitment to state Department of Juvenile Justice so while technically he had education, he didn't have much. Because of this, the facility school put him in remedial 9th grade classes over the summer to see if he was ready to go to 9th grade. So while I'm very pleased with the grades- they were remedial 9th grade classes. Since he did so well they have him in regular classes now for the regular school year and they are giving him the opportunity to earn an advanced diploma. He's now taking advanced english, biology, algebra, civics, PE, spanish, keyboarding, and a required JROTC class.

As far as PE, he clams up and will do something physical as an alternate but won't play basketball with boys in Department of Juvenile Justice. Oh well- I'm not sure what to do about it. I was given the impression that since difficult child was willing to run or sweep a floor instead of participating in sports that this was acceptable- as in "passing" but obviously that's not the case. Unfortunately the swimming was not a part of the PE class- neither is the JROTC. I wouldn't be worried about it except that kids have to have PE credits for high school graduation and difficult child just can't get over his sensitivity about other guys feeling like he doesn't match up. I understand his feeling insecure but obviously, he needs to find a way to deal with some of it. Hopefully, it won't be as bad once he's out of Department of Juvenile Justice.

Since you all seem to be reminding me that difficult child has done very well, I will have to write him and give him praises! Thank you!

I failed a PE class in junior high school myself- it was because I told the teacher that I didn't like her. LOL! But I worry about difficult child's severe concern about other boys' approval that it is stopping him from doing something like this.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
I think he did very well. In my entire school career I had one semester of gym. In all 12 grades. So he is already ahead of me, lol! Sooner or later he will figure out he has to pass it and he will get it over with.

At least he is doing schoolwork!

Sorry it is so frustrating for you.

klmno

I know- I'm happier with this than I would be if he made 100 in PE and 60's in core classes! I'll brag on him for it since you ladies have made me feel better!