difficult child's perspective on testing

klmno

The school psychiatric (and this lady actually is a school psychiatric instead of an ed spec like his regular school has) finished her testing on difficult child but hasn't compiled results and report yet. I have difficult child's side of this which may or may not be skewed. In any case, we have known for some time that his biggest issues at school are executive functioning and memory. (I say "we" but that's the mental health profs and me- the sd never wanted to acknowledge there was anything other than a previous behavior problem.) Memory problems got worse with being on MS's, of course. He's always done well in math and science and scores highest, academicly, in problem solving areas (lord knows, not in real life LOL).

Anyway, he told me that when the lady tested him by reading a paragraph or a list of words or showing him pics, then asking him to recite back what he'd heard or seen, he had trouble with it. No surprise- except that she actually gave him memory tests. What I find weird is that difficult child says when she read a list of numbers off, he could remember them with almost 100% accuracy.

How could that be possible? I had him evaluation'd by a neurologist a couple of years ago and his - oh- the "brain" test- came back fine. But the dr said difficult child could have a language processing problem and recommended "neuro-linguistic" testing. My insurance wouldn't cover it and the sd blew that off and said it had nothing to do with them. Would this be along those lines?

He's not great in English class but does ok in it and reads on grade-level, barely. He hates both those things though. And- there is a possibility that he misjudged how well he did and that he didn't remember numbers any better than anything else. When she called me and told me she had finished testing, she said she had decided to go ahead and do an additional testing on cognitive ability, which tells me that what she originally gave him revealed something- enough to concern her about his cognitive abilities. This is good since the sd has been horrible about wanting to acknowledge that he has any problem necessitating the continuance of an IEP.

Also, she told me that the old sd had forwarded her my completed parent forms that they had given me in Feb. I guess that pretty much proves that the sd was lieing when they told Department of Juvenile Justice that I had refused to consent to any re-evaluation for his IEP, huh?

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Sounds like it!

In regard to memorizing numbers, he could be telling the truth. Maybe because numbers are so objective, in a sense.

All you can do is wait until you see the results.

This is the part I hate. The waiting.

Good luck!