erbaledge

StepTo2 - I am very similar to your mom, my kids rarely miss school unless it's a doctor appointment. I'm not one to keep them home for an upset tummy, cramps, headache, etc - unless it is seriously disabling them.

Smallworld - you said "If your daughter has never been stable" - that sentence, makes me go ummmm... Ever been stable? For how long? I don't ever recall her being stable for a whole month, if we are lucky 2 or very rarely 3 weeks in a row - but then she still has all her physical complaints, defiance, etc. I guess I'm not sure what 'stable' would qualify as.
Good point on the otc cure - yea, I don't want her to not trust me, so that pretty much rules out the otc cure well that and I don't think I could do it.

Haozi - I would say difficult child is a complainer. Not really a worrier unless you count phsyical complaints, then yes. I don't know, I guess it depends on what you mean exactly. I wonder what constitutes distorted thoughts? I think she most definitely has a distorted thinking process - I think it's what it would be called. Where I may tell her: You might be able to watch tv tonight - she will interpret it to me saying 'You can watch tv at 6 PM' or whatever time makes her happy - that happens with everyone she's interacting with and a lot of the time - she makes things or hears what she wants to hear - if that makes sense.

Going North - good point on the otc cure.

DJ - yeah, sounds like a good idea - but with my difficult child it might work very temporarily until she realizes she was tricked and then loose trust and I don't want that, nor social service issues - even if her remedial said do it - I'm gonna pass. Too many negatives.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, I did play the game tonight once she returned from school.
I had her come straight to the kitchen for 4 pm medications - then I was looking her over (checking for symptoms), felt her head, asked how tummy was (she's FINE she said at that point, lol. Then she started getting upset saying her remedial worker told me to do this). I keep playing along, saying how sorry I am she has an upset stomach, and to ensure that her siblings don't get sick and to ensure she gets better that she would need to rest in her room all evening. That did NOT fly well at all, and she had a small fit (30 mins) - I did resort to a warning of a consequence (removal of items I bought this weekend for her) - gave her 15 minutes to figure it out. And VOILA! To her room she went.

I also let her sleep through dinner, only because I wanted to avoid the issue of her having a fit because I was going to make her choose chicken noodle soup or ramen noodles since she's 'ill' - sorry no need for homemade tacos if your tummy hurts. She ended up choosing Ramen, then went back to bed after medications and a few saltines.

This worked! I was amazed - but it only worked because she was asleep! lol

dashcat

My gft did this and NOTHING that I did - or did not do - seemed to make a difference. She loved being fussed over so, Janet - as over the top as your reaction was lol! - she would have loved most of it. She's a sweet-aholic so, when she'd complain of a tummy ache, I'd blame the sweets and withold them. She liked the attention of being denied sweets! There were times I failed to take real illness seriously (for which I felt horrible) and times when I was forced to take her to doctors, for Xrays or keep her out of school because she escalated her compaints to the point where teachers and coaches would call and INSIST that I take her to be treated!

It drove me mad.

She still screams bloody blue murder over paper cuts and stubbed toes, but at least she's out of school and I can selectively ignore it.

When she was in high shcool, I was at the school helping to decorate for a dance. she was on a ladder across the room and got her finger stuck in the ceiling tile frame. She screamed, she hollered and everyone - including me - ignored her. finally someone realized her finger was really stuck and freed her. She STILL brings this up (and it really wasn't a big deal - she wasn't injured even though it might have hurt a little) and I always point out that we ingnored her because she was ALWAYS bellowing about sort of injury....
Sigh...

erbaledge

My gft did this and NOTHING that I did - or did not do - seemed to make a difference. She loved being fussed over so, Janet - as over the top as your reaction was lol! - she would have loved most of it. She's a sweet-aholic so, when she'd complain of a tummy ache, I'd blame the sweets and withold them. She liked the attention of being denied sweets! There were times I failed to take real illness seriously (for which I felt horrible) and times when I was forced to take her to doctors, for Xrays or keep her out of school because she escalated her compaints to the point where teachers and coaches would call and INSIST that I take her to be treated!

It drove me mad.

She still screams bloody blue murder over paper cuts and stubbed toes, but at least she's out of school and I can selectively ignore it.

When she was in high shcool, I was at the school helping to decorate for a dance. she was on a ladder across the room and got her finger stuck in the ceiling tile frame. She screamed, she hollered and everyone - including me - ignored her. finally someone realized her finger was really stuck and freed her. She STILL brings this up (and it really wasn't a big deal - she wasn't injured even though it might have hurt a little) and I always point out that we ingnored her because she was ALWAYS bellowing about sort of injury....
Sigh...

Wow, that sounds a LOT like my difficult child! And the last paragraph - we have many times warned difficult child about crying wolf, even had her read The Boy Who Cried Wolf, and write papers on it too - all to no avail.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We've had to explain to Onyxx that her complaining all the time and there being nothing wrong meant we didn't take it seriously otherwise. I've also developed a phrase - "Are ya bleeding? No? Then figure it out yourself!"

As for Jett - there was one day he was sitting on the floor downstairs and Onyxx pretended to trip over him. He started crying and carrying on that she had kicked him - and walked up the stairs rubbing the opposite side. I was laughing so hard I could barely explain to husband. And Jett quit doing that when I pointed it out...

smallworld

About my "stable" comment: The goal of medications is to stabilize the child. If they are not doing that job, you need to push the psychiatrist to change the medications. All three of my kids are stabilized on their medications. That means for YEARS. We do tweak from time to time (in other words, go up by a small amount) to account for hormonal shifts, but my daughter M has been on the same medications for 2 years, my daughter A for 5 years and my son J for 2 years. Their moods are steady and even, and we have no raging whatsoever. That's the goal.

erbaledge

Well I think the school/I/remedial worker all stopping her from going to the nurse every day for erroneous physical complaints has spiraled way out of control! That combined with us trying to talk with her yesterday about how she's failing two classes badly.
After a five hour admit process she is now at the hospital psychiatric unit. Ugh!

erbaledge

Ugh, if anyone can tell me how to make it so I can send a PM that would be great. It says the setting is 'off' and I don't know how to turn it back on - as I would like to send a PM to smallworld.

Either way - gg15 is Hospital psychiatric unit. They are changing up her medications:
Current - prior to entering hospital
Clonidine - 0.05 mg @ 4PM & 0.1 mg @ 8 PM
Lexapro - 40mg @ 8 AM
Abilify - 20 MG @ 8 AM & 20 mg @ 4 PM
Clomipramine - 100 mg @ 8 PM

What they are going to change it to:
Seroquel - 50 mg @ 8 pm
Cymbalta - 30mg @ 8 am
Clonidine - 0.05 mg @ 4PM & 0.1 mg @ 8 PM
Clomipramine - 100 mg @ 8 pm

I also tossed out the idea of eliminating the Clomipramine to see if that may be causing the somatic complaints.

smallworld

Hi, click on "Settings" at the top right of the page. Then click on "General Settings" at the left column of the page. Under "Private Messaging," click on "Private Messaging on." That should do it. Let me know if you have any questions.

I look forward to hearing from you!

erbaledge

Ugh! Can I just SCREEEAAAMMM!!!!
difficult child is now telling the hospital groups lies! I don't like it one bit! Staff's words "she's trying to one-up other patients stories about their home lives" - one whopping lie: that I'm an alcoholic! I AM NOT - nor do I hardly ever drink! And there's more. And she's trying to make her home life seem so bad - um hello! She would have a great life if she would do the main basics things that are asked of her - and even when she don't, she pretty much has a good life!

And they want me to go up there to the hospital to have a counseling session with her? Are you kidding me?
I'm sticking with my first thought - she is doing this all for attention, sympathy, and "i'm the victim" thinking!
During the group session that she was trying to one-up everyone, when the person running it shut-it-down and moved on to other kids. Well, of course, after the session, difficult child says she wants to kill herself again and is now sitting in the seclusion room over night now!

Even if I wanted to give her a taste of how she says she has it at home when she returns, I can't - because she runs the show! I can't get her to do anything, most of the time! The only thing I could do is remove everything from her bedroom, except the bed, blanket/pillow, seven days of clothes - do I resort to that? Or am I just wanting to do this by just being angry at how she makes it seem here? I can't double up her chores, because she rarely does the whopping 2 a day she has to do here (ya they are simple for a fifteen/near 16 yr old - like sweep floor, or vacuum floor)

I don't want to go to no session! Not there, not with a therapist that really does not know the whole situation/background/my daughter. Because I refuse to sit in a session while the therapist gets snowballed into all her mis-truths!

If she were seriously feeling like she was wanting to die - am I right in thinking that she wouldn't be coherent enough to come up with all of these lies and stories she is manifesting and sharing?

And how do I as her parent - NOT take this all so personally? I have a hard time not doing so. Any tips on that?

smallworld

Obviously, I don't know your daughter, but did you ever consider that she either is having distorted thinking (from her illness or from the medications) or that she has a personality disorder? If either option is true, you can't believe that her words and actions are based in reality.

erbaledge

Obviously, I don't know your daughter, but did you ever consider that she either is having distorted thinking (from her illness or from the medications) or that she has a personality disorder? If either option is true, you can't believe that her words and actions are based in reality.

Yes I have thought she may have some type of distorted thinking/thought process - but then I wonder does she do this on purpose or is it her mental illness and how do you know?
As far as personality disorder, I think it's been mentioned that she might, or something - in the past several of the more hardcore diagnosis have been mentioned - though no one is willing to diagnosis her them.

smallworld

In order to get a diagnosis of distorted thinking or a personality disorder, your daughter needs neuropsychologist testing that includes projective testing. Has she ever had neuropsychologist testing?

erbaledge

In order to get a diagnosis of distorted thinking or a personality disorder, your daughter needs neuropsychologist testing that includes projective testing. Has she ever had neuropsychologist testing?

Not that I know of - I do remember asking for this when she was in Residential, but I got shot down, I don't remember exactly why though.
This is what she has had done:
Okay, here is what it says:

Basis of Evalution:
Record Review
Behaviorial Observation
Clinical Interview
Reynolds Adolescent Depression Scale - 2nd Edition (RADS-2)
Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children - 4th Edition (WISC-IV)
Team Consultation
Parent Consultation

I believe you had said that didn't include projective testing, per that older thread.
Is this something they do in the hospital? (or can do?)

DammitJanet

My son isnt your dtr and when I did what I did, I knew exactly what I was doing and why. I didnt hurt him in the least. I just kept making him think he was getting sick because I kept giving him all this attention. Normally I dont pay that much attention to them when they are sick with a slight cold or something. Basically I was using reverse psychology on him to make him think he was sick. He didnt actually get enough of the OTC stuff to make him really ill, just feel a bit under the weather with me goading him on. Mine is easily fooled. He was also 10 I believe and trying to walk out of school with no one to watch him which was extremely dangerous.

He found out a day or so later what I did but I told him...if you try the sick and need to come home thing again, you better really be sick because next time, you are going to be put in the hospital. He didnt try me.

erbaledge

Well, I talked with the Psychiatrist that is treating her in the hospital, this is also the same one that treated her during her other two hospitalizations in the past year.
I mentioned the Psychological Testing - he said he could order them, however he wanted me to read up on Borderline Personality Disorder, and then get back to him. As he feels she fits that, though he will not diagnosis it yet. He also said she has some type of Mood Disorder, and of course CD. I don't like Mood Disorder as a term - it's too circumventing. And I already knew the 'Mood Disorder' - but it's always good to hear the same things in my opinion.

So, I'm reading up on Borderline (BPD) - ya know what? Wow! Does it fit her to a T! And it so explains her reactions to things, explains how the past 3 weeks have went.

Do other parents have difficult child's with Borderline (BPD) on here? I do have at least one question, and sure I will have more.

I'm thinking of telling the doctor that yeah I am agreeing with his assessment.

smallworld

If the psychiatrist is thinking mood disorder, the medications that she's on could be making her worse. The medications that treat bipolar disorder -- mood stabilizer plus atypical antipsycchotic -- are more in line with what she should be taking.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Erbaledge--

My daughter has been diagnosed with "emerging Borderline Personality Disorder" and what you are describing sounds familiar...

The one-upmanship thing? UGH! My home life is worse than yours because.... O yeah? Well MY life is worse because...
And some of the things she comes up with are so completely ridiculous that she gets others "playing along" with even crazier stories of their own.

She's told folks we've dragged her to crazy church people to perform exorcisms on her...
We keep her locked in a closet and beat her with chains...
Her Dad once beat her so badly she nearly died...
She overdosed on painkillers (more than once mind you) and had to attend rehab...
We like to inflict punishments and abuse her even though she never does anything wrong...
She is like a slave in our household and has TONS of chores to do...

and (my personal favorite)

We don't ever buy her any ice cream.

Docs usually listen with a very sympathetic ear....smile, nod...and then ask me about the "real" story later.
For the ice cream? I just had to laugh because number one - there's ice cream in our freezer as we speak
and number two - that's it? That's the worst "abuse" you can think of? No ice cream?
Wow! She really IS suffering!