easy child joined

Wiped Out

Staff member
Track today! It actually started a week ago but last Monday she was still in that very depressive funk and decided not to join. Then she came out of her funk and was still interested. A friend of hers asked the coach if easy child could still join and the answer was yes.

I think this could be just what she needs so I am crossing my fingers this goes well. I just hope she keeps her grades up so she can participate!

It's been a while since I could post something positive for easy child! Please keep your fingers crossed this turns out to be a positive experience for her.

maril

I will keep my fingers crossed for her! Good for her. I enjoyed going to meets to watch my son and others when he was in track and field. It was actually quite nice to see him do well and progress in something other than a team sport (e.g., football, which sometimes was quite frustrating for him). Track and field proved to be a confidence builder for him and the kids were quite successful in the most recent season he participated. It was exciting to see records set and generally just to be there. I always enjoyed going to games, etc., when my kids participated in sports.

You go mom! Stand by and cheer her on.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Excellent news. One step forward. It probably took a great deal of energy and strength to take that step. :bravo:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hope she finds this to be her place to shine!

My easy child has entered our city's track meet every year since kindergarten (she placed first the first three years and last year went on to county). But this year because of funding shortages they CANCELLED the meet! Took the wind out of her sails... and although she could go to a neighboring city's meet to qualify for county, she's just not up for it now. I really wish she'd change her mind because it's something she's good at, and I know she enjoys the feeling that comes with competing, even if she doesn't win all the time. Maybe next year...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Marilynne-Thanks-I've heard many positives about track and hope this will really help with her depression. I think it will be fun to be at her meets!

Fran-It is a step forward and you are so right about the amount of energy it took for her to do this. Now I'm just praying she has her grades up enough and enjoys it enough to stay involved.

Gvcmom-It would be great if she could find her place to shine. I know the physical activity will have to do her good. She used to be very fast. In 5th grade she ran a race, not a formal one but just at recess or in p.e., but she was the fastest of all the boys and girls at that time. However, she has done little physical activity over the past several years. What a bummer that your easy child's track meet was cancelled- I hope she will continue to be involved and that they are able to have the meet next year.

Sharon,

This is excellent news!!! I know that running helped me through many rough patches in my life. in my humble opinion, exercise is one of the best things you can do to help yourself through a difficult period.

Your easy child is actually a very strong person - This shows how much she is fighting to get back on solid ground. I have a good feeling about this:D

If easy child needs a new pair of running shoes, maybe the two of you could go shopping for them - Have lunch out, etc... Make it a special day.

Keeping your easy child in my thoughts... WFEN

Star*

call 911........call 911
Track was the best thing that EVER EVER happened to me in Jr. High - High school.

I think your kiddo will find it opens a LOT of doors to many other great things in her life -

Wiped Out

Staff member
WFEN-I agree with you about the exercise being so important and helping with depression. Thanks for the comment of easy child's strength-I hadn't looked at it quite that way but I think you are right. I like the shoe shopping idea, she hasn't mentioned anything yet.

Star-I hope it does as much for her as it did for you!

I had to laugh today. I asked her if she liked practice tonight. She comes back with no, it's running! So then I asked her if she is still fast. She had a big grin and said, "Oh yeah!"

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I had to laugh today. I asked her if she liked practice tonight. She comes back with no, it's running! So then I asked her if she is still fast. She had a big grin and said, "Oh yeah!"

:rofl: Totally something my easy child would say, too! Glad she's still feeling fast -- you go girl!