Experiences of rTMS for depression?

SuZir

Ache and his doctor decided against ECT for treatment at this point and instead rTMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) was started. Schedule for treatment is once a day, five days a week for four to six weeks. Idea is to stimulate a certain part of the brain that doesn't work well with people suffering from depression. Apparently it isn't quite as efficient as ECT, but risks are also much smaller. Not similar cognitive and memory effects some have with ECT.

Way too early to know if it is effective with Ache, but apparently every third or half of the people with treatment resistant severe depression seem to get at least some help or even remission with it. Apparently first treatment had been quite uncomfortable but next two he has now received were not bad at all.

pasajes4

A lady that attends our support group has a device that is implanted in her neck which send impulses to help with her severe depression. It has been a life saver for her. Several members have ECT treatments for depression and they say it is the only thing that has worked for them. I hope your son benefits from whatever they choose to use.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
SuZir, I am hoping for a good outcome. Remission would be awesome!

Keep us posted.

InsaneCdn

ECT can always be done later. If there are lower risk options, I'd definitely be going there first. Ache has a good doctor!

in a daze

Keep us posted Suzir. My son was looking into this. His psychiatrist doesn't think too much of it. I read a lot of conflicting literature about it. I hope it helps him. I didn't know they were doing it in Europe.

SuZir

Ache is treated at university hospital, so I guess doctors at least are aware of up to date possibilities. Ache was told that rTMS is bit less likely to be effective than ECT, and even if effective the effect may last shorter time, but compared to ECT it is almost risk free. So worth the try. Apparently they believe medications alone are not effective enough with Ache.

I think they have only been giving rTMS bit over 5 years in this hospital, so rather new thing to them.

SuZir

It seems this may actually be effective with Ache - or at least something has been. Biggest change is with his affect, he actually seems to be alive again. That of course means he is also more grumpy and obnoxious, but at this point it is welcomed change. Flatness is scary.

They are talking about discharging him before weekend. He could get a day hospital place, but logistics would be difficult and he would miss half a day anyway because he needs to continue to attend rTMS in the hospital he is now and the day hospital placement would be almost an hour away from it in smaller city other direction from us than the big city where this hospital is. Also apparently biggest thing they do in day hospital is try to relearn a structure, because many people with mental illness end up having very poor daily structure and sleep patterns. Ache has never had that problem and currently his TMS treatments are scheduled for mornings, so if that would continue after release, it would be easy to structure his day around that and some work helping father in law and sister in law.

Last edited:

Copabanana

Suzir, I am glad for you that Ache is responding to treatment and they are looking towards discharging him. Take care.

COPA