Eyebrow threading

mstang67chic

Going Green
Has anyone subjected themselves to this??? I had it done today when I passed a bodega that offered it in the mall. Granted, I was due for some sort of eyebrow treatment but it's not like they haven't been touched in years. The lady said that the first time is the worst; it gets easier the more you do it. THE MORE YOU DO IT??? People go BACK for this more than once??? Ok yeah....I love how she shaped the wooly worms I call my eyebrows but Eeeesh.

:faint:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have gone with the threading for quite a few years - its a much better alternative than someone smearing hot wax of your face - much more precise than a big gob of wax landing on a part of your eyebrow that you DON'T want messed with, not to mention a big red piece of skin. Eldest gets her mustach done by threading. Once your eyebrows are in line, its really fast and takes a while to grow back, unlike wax or normal plucking

Crazy, both Vietnamese and Indians pluck their eyebrows using a piece of sewing thread. They make like a cats cradle between their fingers and hold one end of it in their teeth - its hard to explain

Marcie

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I have a sister who has her face threaded to get rid of fuzz. She swears by it. The other sister uses hot wax on her caterpillars.
I just tweeze.
I had a face wax to get rid of the facial fuzz. It felt smooth like a baby's behind but I am cheap and don't want to set myself up to have it done every 6 weeks.
</span>

gottaloveem

I work next to a salon who threads, I did have it done one day.

I found out later that it isn't sanitary, and people have got

infections because the thread does go through the persons mouth.

I wasn't that impressed with this method, I prefer tweezers.

Marguerite

Whatever method you use to remove the hair, if it involves pulling it out by the roots (plucking, waxing or threading, as you guys describe it) it will take the same time to grow back. The only difference is if you're using one of those methods and the hair breaks off instead of puling out the root. Then it grows back as fast as shaving.

This sounds like it would feel a bit like those depilatory coil things which were all the rage about 20 years ago. Maybe a bit gentler - those things were vicious!

These days I use cold 'wax' (NADS) on my brows and an electric epilator everywhere else. And I do mean everywhere. No razor any more, not for years, because of infections. With time the epilator doesn't hurt nearly as much and really deep roots no longer draw blood. The way I used to be - I'd have needed a blood transfusion after a Brazilian. Now I can barely feel it and I can whisk away hair for six weeks, in only a few minutes. Mind you, the bathroom floor looks like it's moulting... and don't let those tiny blades grab your skin, THAT hurts, even if it doesn't cut. So dry skin pulled taut, please. But great for those facial hairs we try to pretend we don't have. I can't see them, but I can feel them and the epilator can find them - I can feel it enough to know when I've got them out. In the time it would take me to find one hair with the tweezers, this gadget has done the whole under jaw area.

NADS - an Aussie invention, it works like wax only it is room temperature. Not hot. Any residue washes off in cold water. The eyebrow treatment comes in a cute little pencil applicator which you click up to squeeze out a little more gel. It feels like thick honey. All natural. No wax. The woman who first made it for her very hairy daughters (the name is an acronym of their initials) has become a millionaire. her name is Sue Ismael.

Marg

ScentofCedar

Eeeewwh.

What about laser hair removal?

And I never did understand just what threading is. You don't mean they tie a thread to a hair, do you?

And why would the beautician put the threads in her mouth?

Oh, Marguerite, you are braver than me. I used an epilator once when they first came out and never, ever used it again.

Barbara

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hey Marg, I've used NADS, but didn't know the history. I prefer just getting everything waxed off ever few weeks and I tweeze in between. difficult child is a really hairy young lady and she needs to be waxed.

A million years ago, I tried that epilator thingy and it hurt like heck. I never tried it again. I would love to go get a bikini wax for the summer, but I'm chicken. I'm a slave to the shaver.

The threading was done everywhere when we were in the caribbean last year. We were curious, but it looked uncomfortable.

Marguerite

The epilator hurt like blazes the first few times I used it, but I found that if I used it on regrowth it was nothing like so bad, because it only hurts when it's pulling a hair. If it's pulling a lot of hairs all at the same time, it hurts a lot. But if it's only pulling a few (because the others haven't all grown back yet) then it's much easier to deal with.
And after many uses, it DOES get easier, although if I let everything grow like blackberry bushes all through winter and THEN use it, it hurts almost as much again.

I'm finding underarms and bikini area are no longer a problem - doesn't hurt at all now.

If it's a big problem, try a stiff drink first. But only one, so you don't snag your skin through being too relaxed!

And there's nothing like motivation - getting a phone call from a friend to meet at the beach in five minutes and you pull on your swimsuit to discover you look like Mrs Tiggywinkle - I whip out the epilator and mow furiously. Any pain - the salt water will fix that fast.

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
For those of you who have never heard of it, here is a link to a picture and an article.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...%3D10%26hl%3Den

I do like how they turned out. My wooly worms seem a lot more clean and defined than when I have them waxed. She also trimmed them too (which I do but she did a much better job! lol). I normally don't wind up with much of an arch but I finally have one!!! I'm just not sure if I want to try it again although I know it shouldn't be as bad the next time. We'll see how brave I am. :rofl:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Gosh...I'm jealous. I have very little eyebrows. They only go half way...then nothing. doctor said it was a genetic thing. My dad is the same way.

Abbey

Marguerite

I'm jealous of you, Abbey. At least you can use eyebrow pencil, very lightly. Without depilation, I look Neanderthal. Come to think of it, even afterwards...

Marg

ScentofCedar

Thanks for the link, Mustang.

It sounds like the woman having the procedure done actually enjoyed it.

It wonder what other kinds of non-invasive, less painful, beauty secrets are out there that none of us knows about.

What an interesting thread.

Marguerite, you are so funny! :smile:

Barbara

mstang67chic

Going Green
Looks like I can't back out of going again to have this done a second time. I was talking about it in one of the online book groups I belong to. One of the other members lives just a couple of hours south of me and she's going to drive up so we can both get it done. The difference though is that she's looking forward to it. (I think she's sadistic) She claims that since she has a bunch of tattoos, eyebrow threading should be a breeze. We'll see.

Marguerite

Your friend sounds more like a masochist - they're the ones that enjoy pain. It's the sadists that like to inflict it (unless you meant that she's being sadistic in pushing you into doing this again?)

I remember a supposedly sophisticated joke when I was a teenager - a conversation between a sadist and a masochist.
The masochist said, "Hurt me!"
The sadist thought about it for a second and then said, "No."

I do wonder if your friend can take it - it's a bit like easy child, who can ride on the scariest, nastiest roller coaster, but is terrified of flying even in a 747. And for our holidays she booked our transfer flights - she booked a Beechcraft. Nineteen seats. No way can she avoid a window seat - I suspect that if the engines slow down we'll be asked to stick our arms out and flap.

Do let us know how your friend goes. That could be fun!

Marg