Eyeshadow and other good deals...

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'll bet we can all agree that money is tight in this economy. I think I've tried every brand and almost every color of eyeshadow over the years. I've spent a small fortune on Merle Norman, Clinique, Ulta and other name brand shadows in search of something that didn't end up smudged or in my eyelid creases after a few hours.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that L'Oreal powder eyeshadows are what I have been looking for all this time! No smearing, no puddling, no creases and at a fraction of the cost of the other brands. :bravo:

I won't give up my pricey Lancome Definicils waterproof mascara, but I took great pleasure in tossing all of those *other* eyeshadows!

Now that I'm a believer, what good deals can you share?

Suz

Mattsmom277

I swear by Mac studiofix compacts. Flawless skin, perfect color matches, no clogging of pores. It's a powder and liquid in one sort of. If you get the right shade you can't even tell you have foundation on which I think is fantastic as I hate foundation for those creases on your skin that it cakes into or amplifying dry skin or leaving that tell tale "ring" around the bottom of the face where the foundation ends. It is pricey but to me is worth it when I can afford it. It also lasts a very long time so helps balance the cost over cheaper makeup that requires frequent applications.

katya02

Solace
I recently found some nice Maybelline matte eyeshadows that are nice for work - no glitter or shine. They don't crease or wear off quickly. And the price is great.

H

HaoZi

With most eye makeup I have to go with Rimmel. Nicely priced, and one of two shadows I've been able to find in years that does NOT irritate my sensitive eyes and get all over my contacts (the other is Neutrogena Mineral whateveryoucallit). Since moving north I have not found a foundation I can wear because my skin dries out too easily and the heavy moisturizers break me out, but that was always a hard fit for me, everything is too orange or too dark on me, I'm lighter than all the "pale" shades and just a tad too dark for the goth foundation. Mostly I stick with shadow, mascara, moisturizer, and lip balm.

nvts

I know NOTHING about makeup, but if I was to have something on my wishlist, it would be a foundation that would hide a really dark spot next to and slightly below my right eye that moves down the side of my face to just below the cheek line. It developed when I was preggers with difficult child 1 and would intensify when I was pregnant with the rest of the crew. It's still pretty dark and very noticeable.

It would have to be light weight though because I've never been one to wear makeup so if it's heavy feeling, I don't feel comfortable.

Great. Makeup neurosis. What next?!! :groan:
Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Interesting Beth. Did docs ever give you an explanation of what caused it?

I haven't wore make up regularly for several years due to finances. But I have to say I love the L'Oreal products. Not all of them......but their liquid eyeliner is a MUST for me. Pencils try to rip off my eye lid lol Those marker type things aren't much better. I've always been pleased with their water proof mascara, their foundations and their face powder. Oddly I usually go to Cover Girl for my blushes.........they're colors match my skintone better and it doesn't disappear after 2 hrs. ugh

My all time fav is Mary Kaye. My budget just never allowed for it. All their stuff is great........well never tried anything but the face makeup. Sigh Someday.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Beth, I've developed splotchy pigment patches on my forehead at the hairline. I bought some Porcelana fade cream -- I remembered the commercials from when I was a kid. And it's done a pretty good job of slowly fading the pigmentation. I have to be sure I keep sunscreen on it or it will come back in the summer. I think it was $7 or $8 for a jar at Walmart. I thought maybe it was from hormones, but my dermo said no, it's just some people's luck -- and I remember my dad had the same pattern on his forehead. So I guess it's just genetics in my case.

graceupongrace

Suz, I used Definicils for years -- wouldn't touch another mascara. Then about a year or two ago, I discovered Maybelline Define-a-Lash and like it just as well. HaoZi, I like the Rimmel eyebrow pencil. Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer is a good substitute for pricier lipstick.

I still splurge on foundation and blush because I haven't found any bargain products that work as well as the pricey ones.

susiestar

Roll With It
I swear by ELF cosmetics! Not only are they very inexpensive, they have a LOT of specials available by email, excellent brushes, and some of their basic products are sold in Target. Jessie has found that their acne coverup actually helps heal her acne with tea tree oil!

I have yet to find products that I DON"T like of theirs!! www.eyeslipsface.com - if you buy over about $30 or $35 you get a free subscription to a magazine - which magazine changes every couple of months. it is a nice benefit.

I find that the low cost of the products means a smaller quantity, but always plenty of product to last quite a while. It means I don't mind throwing them away after a few months - which EVERY woman should do to prevent infection!

DammitJanet

I hardly wear make up which means shopping for make up is a huge chore for me when I have to do it for some special occasion like my Dads funeral. You would have laughed your behinds off at me wandering up and down the isles at walmart trying to figure out exactly what I needed. I kept thinking that everyone said some powdered mineral stuff was good but dang...I didnt know which one! Or a clue how to use one. Or what shade to get...lol. I finally settled on a small jar of something...think a cover girl mineral powder and some eye shadow and some colored lip balm. I didnt want lip stick. Too much. I just wanted a muted look. I think I pulled off looking just slightly made up but not like I actually went all out to dress for a party.

LittleDudesMom

Like Mattsmom, I'm a Mac fan. I use the studio fix base as well. I also use Aveda products. I have very sensitive skin on my face and even though these products are a little more expensive, they last and they don't aggravate my skin.

Now, if you want to see makeup, you should see easy child's vanity. She has my grandmother's old bedroom furniture and has one of those vanities where the top lifts up and there is a mirror and a place for all your makeup. It looks like a Mac store or a hollywood makeup trailer!!!!

Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Speaking of makeup...i'd like to try a mineral powder foundation and i know some of you use that...whats a good one to start with?

DDD

I love the Bare Minerals products but I'm not much for makeup. With my recent higher profile I have added mascara and my
eyes still water. I'm not allergic to anything else but my eyelashes just don't like being messed with, lol. I bought a solution to remove mascara a few years ago and that didn't work well either. Anyone have a good product for mascara removal? DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
D3, I always use waterproof mascara because I'm such an easy weeper. The one Merle Norman product I still splurge for is the face wash that comes in a light pink tube. It lathers great, smells heavenly, and removes makeup, including the mascara, easily and gentl, without drying out my skin. I like having one product do multiple things so I don't have to buy something separate for washing my face and another for removing makeup.

Shari, Bare Minerals is a good brand and you are young enough to use it. I have so many wrinkles and crevices in my skin now :916blusher: that the mineral foundations settle in these lines and make me look ten years older. :bag:

Suz

KTMom91

I love the Burt's Bees lip shimmers - a hint of color without being too heavy. Same with the Physician's Assistant Berry Minerals eye shadow.

Mascara and eyeliner change on a regular basis, and I'm bummed that Maybelline stopped making the Auburn eyebrow pencil.

DDD

Thanks, Suz. You mentioned the Barely Minerals causing you problems before. Even though we have never met in person I am betting you must have applied it wrong. Your skin can't be less taut than mine, for real. Maybe try it one more time with
just a dust on the brush? I'm sure you look terrific with the products you use but the BM's evens out my complexion and doesn't emphasize wrinkles at all. Your cyber buddy, DDD

trinityroyal

Cherry Chapstick.

Due to all the sensory nonsense, I have a hard time wearing any makeup at all. I end up scrubbing at my face with those horrible paper towels that they provide in public washrooms (may as well use sandpaper) and pulling my eyelashes out to get mascara off, off, OFF!
But Cherry Chapstick keeps my lips from being dry and has a hint of reddish colour.

susiestar

Roll With It
ELF has awesome mineral makeup and is WAY less expensive than Bare Minerals. I have used Bare Minerals for a long time (years) and never seem to use it all up but I end up having to toss a LOT because the germ factor (makeup NEEDS to be tossed regularly to avoid getting infections - with the health issues I get sick if exposed to much of anything so this is VERY important for me). I get the same results from the eyeslipsface mineral makeup as I do from the Bare Minerals stuff. The ELF stuff feels lighter on my skin so I have gotten to actually prefer it.

ANY mineral makeup looks better on well moisturized skin, but you need to give the moisturizer 5-10 minutes to soak in or else your makeup will soak in also. I usually put the lotion on, get my clothes ready, put the makeup on, then get dressed and it works out well.

H

HaoZi

Again for the mineral foundation I use Neutrogena mixed with L'Oreal. For whatever reason the combination works better for me than either alone.

DDD

Suz, just want you to know that I tried to edit my post eliminating the ly after Bare. Guess the computer knew it was false pride trying to type. :916blusher: DDD