Feeling More Optimistic Than I Ever Have

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I have been here for many years and found this site when my son was 15 and had just been diagnosed with Conduct Disorder which I had never even heard of. Prior to this age he was the model son.

Many of you know my story and a lot of the "highlights" and lowlights are in my signature. This site and the people here, my strengthened faith, therapists and friends got me through the five years of hell that ensued as I watched my son go as low as I thought he could go and then some. I know the fear and the sadness and the sheer helplessness that I felt during this time. I thought my son would end up dead because there was nothing that we could do to reach him. I have never felt so alone and full of despair in my entire life. It affected me in every woken moment of every day.

This has been a great week for us. My son just got a good job at Sam's Club and is in school full time. We will allow him to move into our rental home in August when our current tenants leave. We do not want to rent it out again because we are relocating when we retire and just want to let the home appreciate for a few years until we move. It is about 15 minutes from our current home. We are providing him with some basics such as his bedroom set and a few other pieces of furniture. He will continue to do things for us here to earn his keep such as mowing our large yard and and washing our cars. The entire home will not be fully furnished as it is 4 bedroom but he can do as he wishes there.

I'm so excited to see him move into this new chapter in his life and so happy that he wants to do this. He does not date right now or have friends here but I'm hoping that will change once he has his own space.

I read the stories here and I remember when I was there. Please don't give up hope. Life is so full of twists and turns that we honestly have no clue what the future holds for any of us or our difficult adult children. Don't enable and keep pointing them in the right direction. Take care of yourself and say your prayers. Things will get better.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I will be here for a few more years til I retire and won't be at a desk everyday but I'll check in!

Nomad

Staff member
I don’t check SA thread that often. What a wonderful post. Gives so much hope. So happy for you and your family.

Albatross

What a wonderful next chapter in your son’s life RN! You have all been through so much, and your story and presence serve as an inspiration for many people here. I’m so excited for all of you!