Getting Asperger's evaluation

victorearose

Had IEP a couple of weeks ago. I asked for Asperger evaluation by school and also getting private one on Dec 3 by the local Children's Hospital.

Assistant Principal actually told me that having AS diagnosis would not change IEP from what he has now with diagnosis of "ADHD with tics". And she was on the Autism Team at her previous school. :rolleyes: Obviously, she knows all about it then, doesn't she?

I am anxious to get the diagnosis. Wondering what they will do with it. I feel a little guilty. Wondering if we had the correct diagnosis 5 years ago, how much better would his life be now. Everything I am reading says that EARLY intervention and retraining is key. I feel sad for him. I feel tired, emotionally drained most days. Every day, almost, there is some thing.

At school this past week he thought kids were talking about him at lunch; so he was distracted trying to listen to determine if they were or not. He didn't finish eating on time. So, here is the catch-22: stick with the routine and go to recess but be hungry or stay in and finish eating but the routine is then messed up and that, as you know, is not compatible with life if you have AS. So, he followed the teacher's direction and changed seats to finish eating; slamming his tray down, making his milk fly off and hit the wall. Then after eating, he cleaned his mess up (high five for responsibility) and went outside, still mad. Then he climbed a fence. Teachers thought he was eloping and called the prinicpal who took him to the office to cool off.

I am getting to where I have to prioritize ... he did not hurt or threaten to hurt himself of another student ... so we are good. I say "sorry you had a tough day ... what could you have done differently? What will you do next time this happens?" It seems like an incredible task to think that he has AS and that means my job as parent, is to teach him all this stuff that peers and society would normally teach him. Situation by situation ... talking ... strategizing ... planning ...

I'm exhausted already!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
As far as the diagnosis of aspergers goes and his IEP, head over to the Special Education forum and I'm sure our brilliant ladies over there can give you some really good advice.

Because that just doesn't sound right to me, of course I don't know what he has in his IEP either. But also the evaluation is more than likely going to pinpoint his trouble areas, which will be helpful with the IEP and getting it more geared for his needs.

Never a dull moment in raising an austistic child. I think your priorities are right on track. Let natural concequences take care of the rest.

And yes, it sure can be exhausting. But honestly, I've had alot of fun raising Travis to go along with all the hard work and the bad moments.

Hugs

Marguerite

Don't beat yourself up over the delayed diagnosis. I'd been asking questions about difficult child 1 for years, since he was a toddler, and been told, "He's just a boy - boys take longer to mature, boys are more clingy, your older daughter just happens to be a remarkably advanced kid, your son by comparison is just normal."

He was 6 when we were told he had ADHD. He was 15 when we were told it was Aspergers (plus ADHD).

Early Intervention? Not even difficult child 3 could get that to any degree, but with both boys - look at them now! Absolutely amazing.

All we can do is our best. We can't do any more. And chances are, whatever you're doing for him yourselves is as good as anything he could get.

Marg

smallworld

I agree with posting over on the Special Education 101 forum. The moderators Martie and Sheila are amazing.

I do know that diagnosis itself does not determine what services and accommodations are in an IEP, but the individual needs of the student do dictate. So if speech therapy, social skills, Occupational Therapist (OT) and PT are now identified as needed for your son to access his education, that is what the school will need to provide.

Good luck.

Janna

Exactly, SW. My son is Autistic. That doesn't mean he gets "extra" if he doensn't need it.

So my question to you would be, what does your son NEED? Does he need Occupational Therapy and isn't getting it? Speech therapy? An aide? What?

If the IEP is already tailored to your son and he's doing well, the school doesn't have to give you anything else.

So, for example, if he NEEDS Occupational Therapy, isn't getting it, the school is being difficult, you get an O.T. evaluation AND the AS diagnosis, he would get the O.T.

But they're not going to say "oh, little difficult child is Asbergers so now we're gonna give him this, this, this and that".

Although sometimes I wish it was that way LOL!

I agree with everyone, just keeping working with difficult child and doing the best you can. It is a learning experience and process for us all (the school included) - with an emphasis on the "process" part. We only got an AS diagnosis for our difficult child this year - and he is 16 years old. It's not going to change his school services that much, but I do think it will change the way his teachers view him. I can only hope that it will be a change for the better!