Glad to have found this website!

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by joneshockey, Jul 6, 2010.

  1. joneshockey

    joneshockey Guest

    I have a 3 1/2 year old son who has been having severe behavioral problems at home and school. He is VERY defiant and aggressive. He often hits, throws toys, kicks, spits, scratches, and bites both his older brother and both my husband and I. (often unprovoked or while being disiplined) He also calls us "stupid", tells us to "shut up", etc. He has been going to weekly counciling through a phycologist for the past 6 weeks. We also have been to our local outpatient evaluation center to try to rule out ADHD, ODD and Bipolar Disorder. I was VERY dissatisfied with this evaluation becuase they never worked with him one on one or anything, they just sat and talked to me for 2 hours straight! Due to his age and lack of diagnostic information, they were not able to come up with a conclusive diagnosis, but have said he has Distruptive Behavior Disorder, not otherwise specified... I really feel that it HAS to be much more than that. His father was diagnoised with bipolar disorder at the age of 19 and exhibited the same types of behaviors as a child. His phycologist that he sees weekly believes that he has many other issues going on. We are currently on a wait list to get in to see a phychiatrist, but have been on hold for over 3 weeks already! I am hoping that this website will help me get the support that I need, since many of my friends have now pulled away from my family because of his behavior.
  2. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    While you're looking at possibilities, check out the sticky at the top of this forum on "Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. It's a good book which can turn around behaviour problems when you find a different approach to discipline. Some kids do not respond well to discipline by imposition of control from outside.

    Also go to and look for their online Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) questionnaire. It's not officially diagnostic, but whatever result you get, print it out and take it to appointments. It can help 'gel' the sort of issues you're having with him.

    Forget about other people's opinions of your parenting. You're the ones living with this; you need to work it out yourself and to both be on the same page.

    Sorry you have problems, but glad you found us. Welcome!

  3. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    I would see a neuropsychologist, not a Psychiatrist, for an evaluation and agree that you should look into Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD).

    Any "friends" who are no longer your friends...never were.

    Welcome to th board. You have friends here.