Going to my MADD class tonight.

Californiablonde

I spoke about it with a couple of people in my alchohol group last night. They said that the women there are brutal. They scream and yell to get the point across. I do not like screaming and yelling. It gives me anxiety attacks. One man at my group told me that in his class, there was a little girl who stood up there crying over her mother who got killed by a drunk driver. That's even worse. I already feel guilty for something I never did wrong. I hope this class goes by quickly. It's supposed to last for about 2 hours and 15 minutes. My coworker tells me to just tune it out and think about something else. I am not that heartless. I can't tune out other's people's rage and heartbreak. So I will sit through it and be as strong as I can. Hopefully I won't cry. I have been dreading going to this thing for the past month. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I think, but I'm already expecting the worst. Wish me luck.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
CB, there's a HUGE difference between driving drunk, and what happened to you. Yes, you do have to go - but remember the difference.

L

Liahona

If it helps you get through the class without panic attacks its not heartless to tune it out; its a survival tactic. Over 2 hours of someone yelling at you or crying at you for something you DID NOT DO? I'd be mad. I'd pick a spot on the wall and stare at it. If it helps you can think over and over "I'm sorry you are hurt, but this isn't my fault." Or "I'm not the one who hurt you." Over and over again.

Californiablonde

Well it wasn't as bad as they said it would be. Nobody yelled although there was a mom who lost her four year old son that did shed a few tears. Before the moms got to speak, they had an attorney tell us the consequences for a second DUI. It's automatic jail time. Now I'm really paranoid about my medications. They don't make me drowsy or dizzy, but I'm worried that if I do happen to get into another accident, they are going to blame my medications even if they may have had nothing to do with it. Also, the consequence for driving with a suspended license is an automatic ten days in jail...yikes! I am hoping and praying I do not get pulled over while taking the kids to the boys and girls club on the way to work or picking them up after. My lawyer says he doubts an officer would arrest me for taking and picking up the kids to/from work, but now I'm not so sure. I am going to drive extra careful and hopefully I won't have to face the issue. Well anyway, the class is over and I am very relieved. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and thank God it's a one time only thing.