Good and Bad but mostly good

Wiped Out

Staff member
Today was difficult child's first wrestling tournament this year. Now that he is in 5th grade he is wrestling with 5th and 6th graders-a big step up.

He is still such a beginner. The kids he wrestled today were not. difficult child was the shortest and heaviest in his bracket. He was very mismatched.

The coolest thing happened. His first match the dad of the boy difficult child was wrestling could see the mismatch. He actually started coaching difficult child and I think had his child (not to difficult child's knowledge) wrestle so difficult child didn't go down right aways.

Then his next match was also a mismatch and the dad (again difficult child didn't hear this)had his difficult child not take the quick pin-he said let him wrestle, let him get up.

For all three of his matches the guy that was helping difficult child continued to do so along with difficult child's coaches. A few other kids were there cheering difficult child on.

At the start of the last match, even the ref said something to encourage him. The parents of all the kids he wrestled cheered him on and had something encouraging to say to him throughout the day.

At the end of the last match (difficult child lost all three) the guy who had been helping difficult child told husband he had never seen a happier kid on the mat (and that was with difficult child losing-he was a really good sport)!

So I had tears in my eyes on my ride home. difficult child had a great time at the match and was none the wiser that others went a bit easy on him. I know maybe they shouldn't have but they had their hearts in the right place and it really touched me.

Also it was neat to see difficult child hanging with this boy 2 years older-they did last year during wrestling. The older boy is a great mentor and considers difficult child a good luck charm. It was sweet to see difficult child going to check on him

O.k., now for the not so good. Of course, when he got home he went right back to being a major difficult child but I'm choosing to savor the good parts of today.

It's been a while since I've been able to share something positive about difficult child-it feels good to be able to do that today.

Oh yeah-he even shocked me by sitting quietly watching other matches for a very long time trying to learn new moves-I don't think I've seen him that still for so long ever!

tiredmommy

Sharon-
Thank you for the wonderful update, even if difficult child reverted back to his usual ways at home. I'm a firm believer that all kids need people from the outside to offer encouragement. Bless that man for helping your child continue to love his sport rather than become discouraged! :its_all_good:

4sumrzn

Tears are flowing for me and YOU!!!!!! I am so happy for you. I'm not certain I will ever be able to witness the kindess of others during sports for my difficult child (I do in other areas).....how heart warming. Thank you for sharing that special moment! How wonderful for your difficult child during THAT time too :wink:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story of human kindness. It doesn't take much to be a positive influence. Those adults did a good thing. :tissue:
Your son is a winner to me.

LittleDudesMom

:woohoo:
Sounds like it was good experience for difficult child. How great to hear that sportsmanship is alive and thriving!
:woohoo:

Sharon

Those adults (and the KIDS!!) did a wonderful thing!!

This will come back to them 10 fold, and they must know it. How nice for you to have been able to enjoy that.

F

flutterbee

:tissue: How cool is that?! :tissue:

I think I'd be sending a fruit basket to that dad. What a great guy. And I'm so proud of difficult child for being such a good sport. Way To Go difficult child! :bravo:

What a great mom day for you! :princess:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:cheers: :woohoo:

Sharon, give difficult child a great big hug from this cyber auntie. I'm so proud of him. He's showing some growth in certain social/team settings. :woohoo:

:smile: to you Sharon, for savoring the good - not the bad. It's best to hang onto that part of the day & let the rest slide.

Coookie

Aw Sharon. :tissue:

Brought tears to my eyes too. :frown: We all know how important it is to hang onto those good moments. :smile: What a wonderful group of parents. :smile: and kids. :smile: AND good for difficult child too!!!! :smile:

Hugs

TerryJ2

Oh, Sharon, what a sweetie! That dad is a keeper!
Clearly, it helped Ggf with-a great learning experience.
And kudos to you for choosing to savor the best part of the day instead of his ptooey difficult child behavior later.

:bravo:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks-it was very cool and I'm so thankful for those people yesterday. Many of these people we will never see again but I will remember them for a long time!

Nancy

What a great coach. And Way To Go difficult child. He made you proud. It says a lot that he is such a good sport.

Nancy

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know - some parents out there really ARE parents. It's nice to find them OUTSIDE of the board.

Glad he's wrestling - DF wrestled when he was in HS and he still talks about it now and then - of course that's probably when he "accidentally" hits the button for WWF or WWE and I look at him like ARE YOU CRAZY? lol

Hugs
Glad to hear from you
Star