Good diets anyone?

Californiablonde

Okay so last year I had a bad break up with a previous boyfriend and I gained 25 pounds from stress eating. This is the most I've weighed since difficult child 2 was born, and I was HUGE back then. I have been trying like crazy to lose it. I dieted all summer long. So far I've only lost ten pounds. I have fifteen more to go. The weight loss is coming off way slower than I had hoped. I've lost weight in the past, and it's never taken me this long to lose it. Pounds came off easily in my twenties. Now that I just hit my forties, it's taking forever! I am getting really impatient. Right now all I am doing is counting calories and making sure not to go over 1200 a day. I can eat whatever I want, as long as I don't go over my calorie count. I'm also taking thirty minute power walks. I'm losing on average between one and two pounds a week. I am not happy with my progress. It feels like it is taking forever to get this dang weight off. I was hoping to have all of my weight lost by the time Thanksgiving comes around, but at the rate I'm going, that isn't happening. Anybody have any weight loss secrets they can share? Any diets you've tried that have shown good results in a small amount of time? I'm really getting desperate, especially since my boyfriend made a comment about me needing to lose weight a couple of months ago. Help!

BusynMember

A diet called the Volumetrics was rated #1, with Weightwatchers right behind. I am losing lots of weight on a combo of both...they are similar. Remember, without exercising it is really hard if not impossible to lose weight. Every diet book will tell you that. Volumetrics is very healthy. Diets like Atkins and South Beach are fad diets. Nobody can maintain those diets forever. I'm not a fan of stuff that isn't really healthy.

Good luck :)

InsaneCdn

You're losing 1-2 lbs a week and you want to lose FASTER?
I'd say you're doing fantastic as it is. If you really want to keep it off, it's better to lose at a steady pace... like... 1 to 2 lbs a week.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Ditto what IC said. One to two pounds per week is considered an excellent weight loss and is the healthiest and safest way to lose. If you lose too fast, it causes metabolic changes that could damage certain organs and create saggy skin, which in my opinion is even worse.

I've been on weight watchers since mid-May and I've lost 16 lbs...which is considered excellent because not only did it come off slowly, but I was able to go with the ebb and flow of life without feeling deprived or restricted. What has helped me to stay on track, aside from my clothes fitting better, is being mindful of portions and really making healthier decisions about what I put into my body.

I only have about ten more pounds to go and I will be at my goal weight. The best part of it is that I FEEL better and my clothes fit better and I'm doing it at a reasonable pace.

Please reconsider your desire to lose more than 1-2 lbs a week. You're actually right on track for a decent weight loss and a good pace. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will happen for you. And tell your boyfriend to stfu. Lol.

Californiablonde

The funny part is my boyfriend needs to lose at least forty pounds so he needs to keep his mouth shut. He told me losing weight will help me look younger. So now I'm fat and old. Got it. What a self esteem booster, huh? Guess I will just keep doing what I'm doing and try to be more patient....sigh.

InsaneCdn

No, he doesn't need to keep his mouth shut... he needs to put his money where his mouth is.
Make it a challenge... can he get to his target weight before you get to yours?

Californiablonde

He's not even trying to lose weight. Even my oldest son Paul says he is fat and needs to keep his mouth shut. He eats king sized Reese's Peanut Butter almost every day, drinks Monsters like their going out of style, and eats a double cheeseburger plus fries at his favorite fast food joint all the time. I wish he was thinner too but I don't have the heart to say anything to him about it. And saying losing weight will help me look younger is such BS. Now that I am heavier I get carded at Walmart almost every time I go and buy wine. Never used to happen to me when I was super skinny. I really do love my boyfriend but sometimes he irritates the c-r-a-p out of me with his comments.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Men always lose weight faster than women.

I echo the Weight Watchers recommendation. It's sensible eating you can live with, in my opinion. I have a couple of friends that have had success with South Beach as well, but that's tougher to stick with and many people gain back the weight later.

Two pounds a week is perfect. It took time to gain the weight, it'll take time to lose it.

I once asked my doctor what he thought of the various diets. His response was that none of them were worth much. He called it simple math: burn off more than what you put in. And eat healthier foods.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's not healthy to lose more than 2lbs a week. It actually increases the chances of you gaining the weight back PLUS more. Last thing you want.

Portion sizes, trust me. Look up REAL portion sizes. You'll be amazed. It doesn't take long to get used to.

Exercise. Again, no extremes. I did the gym, thought I was doing good until I started doing good ol' fashion heavy housework and yard work and saw that it was a MUCH better workout than any machine in the gym. I also walk the dogs 2 miles a day and getting ready to increase it as Maggie now requires a longer walk. You'd be stunned at how much a brisk walk can do for you with little to no risk of injury.

Lose the soda, even diet. I don't like soda, hard on your teeth and hard on your stomach not to mention a TON of extra calories just to attempt to quench your thirst which it is formulated NOT to do. (so you drink more)

Make healthier choices of foods. An apple vs a candy bar........both have sugar, but the apple has lots of vits for your body and is good for your teeth. But be wary and read labels well because not everything claiming to be healthy is really any different, often they add in more salt ect...or hidden sugars and fat.

Don't think of it as a diet, think of it as living healthier. Bad thing about diets is, once you stop, you start gaining the weight again however slowly because you fall back into old habits that helped create the problem in the first place.

Don't forget to let yourself have a treat about once a week or so.

:)

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Google the points system for WW, you don't necessarily have to be paying a member to find out that information. There are many sites that explain it and show you how to calculate the points you need, and how to count them. The benefit to joining is using the tools they provide, and the support groups, they definitely make it more effective. But that doesn't mean you can't use the basic concepts on your own. What I took away from WW was focusing on higher fiber, lower fat, lower calories. And drink water.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
As Garfield put it: Diet is DIE with a T.

I have actually never truly dieted in my life. My weight's done some up-and-down. When I married XH I weighed 125. When he and I moved to OK 2 years later: 144. When I came back 7 months after that: 95. I'd have been a great Halloween decoration. I looked like a cadaver.

2 years after that, when I met husband, I was at 135. When we married, 140... Then we hit a rough patch in 2009 and I dropped to 110. Hormone injections, etc. and when I got preggers with Bean, 154 - and I am 188 now.

After I have Bean, I am going to work toward 135-140 again. It was a good balance for me at 5'3". I figure I'll be at about 175-180 when I deliver, and it will take a while as I will be nursing. However, something to keep in mind: a Wendy's SINGLE cheeseburger is about 2 portions. The meat, about 1.5 - the bread - OMG. Add in all the other stuff (cheese, fries)... Yeah. Something I love is fiber. Unsalted Triscuits, unsweetened oatmeal with fruit, apples and oranges, green leafy veggies - all have vitamins and are good for you. One of my favorite snacks is unsweetened Raisin Bran. I love dry cereal.

A 6-oz steak may look small, but it's MORE than enough; a small baked potato WITH the skin and minimal toppings is awesome. Diet soda is your enemy - the false sweetener tricks your tastebuds into telling the brain you're getting calories when you're not, which will make you MORE hungry. Normal soda is not a friend either, because you get SUGAR but no nutrition - your body stores that sugar as FAT because it wanted REAL FOOD.

Lisa's serious about portion sizes. Most of us cannot imagine being able to eat an entire 5-course meal - because we don't "get" that, in a 5-course meal with wines and sorbet, the portions are what we think of as TINY.

Unless you require the calories (marathoner, farmhand, etc.)... Cut back on portion sizes slowly - and watch your body shrink, too. :bigsmile:

B

bigbear11

I am using myfitnesspal.com. It also has an app for your phone as well. So far so good. You input your information and tell your weight loss goal and it tells you your calorie goal for the day. The program has most every food imaginable (fast food joints too) plus the option to create and save your own recipes. You can track each meal and see how you are doing for the day. I have done WW before and it is actually quite similar in concept. Can also input exercise and see how much calories you burned. Best of all its FREE!!!

For me, it has been very eye opening to see just how badly I eat. I spent two weeks dutifully recording everything I ate... scary!! So now I have a weight loss target of 1.5 pounds per week. I don't always make that but I am on a downward trajectory which is the goal. Plus I don't feel like I am dieting... instead I am making more informed food choices. If I make a pig out of myself at lunch then I can compensate by doing something ultra light for dinner. You might want to give it a try. You can share your info and progress with others too but I'm not much of a social media person so don't really use that part. Definately give it a look.

B

bigbear11

Great! You'll have to let me know how you like it!

One thing I forgot to mention that is helping me too is to weigh every 2 weeks. I used to step on the scales daily with an "official weighin" once a week. I found myself getting frustrated if I didn't see loss and then would give up because it didn't seem to matter what I did. By doing less often, I think I give my body time to reflect my good efforts. Helps me stay motivated and engaged. Just a thought!

1-2 pounds a week is fantastic! Good for you, tell yourself at least things are moving in the right direction when you feel that isn't enough. If you try to lose too much too fast you'll mess with your mentabolism, also you may have trouble sustaining a lower caloric intake for the day. You are doing great. Keep going, imagine how much you'll weigh by Christmas by losing 1-2 pounds a week, or by the summer, keep up the good work!

N

Nomad

I think you are doing very well, if like you say, you are eating 1200 a day and exercising regularly and losing 1-2 pounds weekly.

If you want to lose more like 2 pounds consistently per week:

I think you are going to have to tighten up a bit. Right now you are doing pure calorie counting and to get to two pounds consistently, you might have to just tweek things.

Also, you might try to lower it to 1150 or even 1100 a day (that would be a bare minimum though). There are studies that say calorie counters usually make something like 10% errors relatively often. 10 per cent on 1200 calories is 120= 1320.

Drink lots of water and eliminate soda (diet or otherwise), and record your food/calorie intake very strictly. I see you are going to use a pone app and that is excellent!

Also, personally, I think you should weighseveral times a week....like M, W, F (and probably one consistent day over the weekend) and record your weight on a special calendar ONLY for this purpose. Have a digital scale and the calendar in the bathroom. Studies show that weighing often, for MOST PEOPLE, is helpful.

Eat LARGELY FRESH/HEALTHY FOODS. If you are not doing so already, take a multi vitamin/mineral. Again, there is a study that shows people who take a multi vitamin tend to lose weight ever so slightly faster.

Even though you should eat mostly fresh/healthy foods, keep a FEW (like two) WW Dinners or Lean Cuisines around. Do not have them often (chemicals/salt,etc.) but have them once in a while. Studies show this helps. The reason behind it is twofold:
1. It teaches us portion size/portion control.
2. It is a safe guard in case of emergency/if you come home starving, you can eat something that is portion controlled in a hurry and you wont be tempted to eat something STOOOOPID.

Other things you could try would be to greatly lower your intake on any obvious sugars (see below), and reduce your intake of flour items. Don't necessarily eliminate them, but eat sugar rarely and flour only once in awhile. I say don't eliminate them, because I have seen (and done) strict low carb and then when you eat a carb...you balloon up. We also need healthy carbs for energy. And you don't want to feel deprived. But, really pay attention when you go to eat a sugar (in particular) or a flour item.

Pay attention to any potential allergies like to wheat, corn or dairy. If you strongly suspect something...get rid of it! Consider talking to your doctor about it too.

Hang out with folks who are positive and happy about you losing weight...not always easy to find. People who will encourage you and you do the same for them (if they are struggling too).

All of the above + exercise, recording, water .... should very well help you lose two pounds consistenly per week, which means things will go a little faster and that might make you feel better about it all.

But, I personally think Weight Watchers can be very good. The support is wonderful!!!

I never fully understood why people knock it. I believe the price is reasonable. Although times are a bit tough now, it is not crazy expensive given the support and literature you receive. You usually get lots of ideas...honestly, I do not think it is that bad financially.
I have heard the newest program is particularly good. I never never wanted to say here, but I will tell you now, that I use to be a WW Leader a long time ago. I paid attention to the folks who did very well. I DID notice the following consistently at that time:

1. People who attended the meetings regularly did better. If they honestly had a conflict and just came in to weigh in, that really helped. Support HELPED. Losing weight, like raising a difficult child, is HARD.
2. People who drank a lot of water and either eliminated or practically eliminated soda (including diet soda) did better.
3. People who exercised, even a little, did better.
4. People who greatly reduced sugar (I mean obvious desserts like cookies, cakes, candy, etc.) did better. It is not that they never had something like this, it is just that they didn't have them often. Similar with bread. Again, it is NOT like they eliminated bread, but just reduced their intake. Pasta, again, once in awhile and 1/2 cup serving. (Hound Dog is right...some of the portion sizes are fooling and surprising!) Hard to do...but it can be done. Enjoy these things, but definately in moderation.
5. People who immediately forgave themselves when they messed up and immediately got back into a good routine did better.

For women, this usually meant several pounds of loss the first week (for some folks like six pounds!), but then averaging 1.5 to two pounds each week after that. That is a very appropriate amount of weight to lose. Young people, men and people who were very disciplined often lost 2 pounds a week (average).

Some women, like those with bad hypothyroidism, who were on certain medications, had a difficult menopause, etc. didn't do quite as well, but if they stuck to the above list, they absolutely did lose weight, just slightly slower. When these women were steadfast and patient, they met their goal weight. If they were honest about following their program and were not losing weight, it usually meant that they needed to see a doctor...perhaps needing to get on thyroid medication. Also, it sometimes meant that they had to do better at recording their food intake...sometimes they were forgetting something that they were eating. Honesty, consistency and patience are key.

Hope this helps. I am serioiusly thinking of going back, doing what you are doing and/or checking into that Volumetrics. Stress, difficult child and other things, got the better of me.

Oh well. Goooooood luck! You will feel GREAT when you get to your goal weight (whatever program you use).

Hang in there!!!

Last edited:

LittleDudesMom

Another fan of myfitness pal! I actually eat 1500 calories a day but exercise 4-5 days a week (well, not right now since the surgery but I'm walking). I lost an incredible amount of weight by changing the way I eat and the way I move. Eating five meals a day and exercising I have lost 40 pounds since I started on May 23rd. I've lost a total of 31 inches off my body! I started a weight loss program at a local health center where we had to have total a medical health screenings before starting (and the written consent of our pcp) and attend weekly 90 minute lectures for 10 weeks to teach us about how our body processed food and what effect movement has on our body (one class was on insulin resistance, another on strength training, another on metabolism, etc.), and attend at least 3 classes a week.

But, I was making very poor food choices and not moving at all prior to the start. I do three water aerobic classes a week, one deep water cardio class, and one day of just swimming and finning by myself on Sunday - very relaxing and meditative for me. I believe my huge loss of weight and inches is due to the total turnaround in my diet and the number of intense work outs a week.

Since the surgery in mid-August, I've lost only 4 pounds but can't go in the water yet and am just walking. But I have stuck to my healthy eating. I'm so antsy to get back in the water - probably 2-3 weeks to go!

Good luck! 1-2 pounds a week is a very healthy way to loose! You are totally on the right path.

Sharon