Got a bunch of poems published!

TerryJ2

Woo hoo!
I'm thinking it's still okay to post the name of the book where this poem was published, and also, I'll post the poem here. It's copyrighted in the book, Sweetbay Review, 2011, which just came out two weeks ago. This one still tugs at my heart. It is one of my favorites because it is all true, and the moments that we are able to enjoy our g'sfg are so few and far between, I absolutely had to write it down. Someday, I'll show it to him. Right now, he couldn't care less. Or worse, he'd bite my head off.

The other poems accepted recently are mostly about my dad or cousin. Two are in Sweetbay, and two are in Red River Review.
I've also got two chapbooks finished and floating about in cyberspace, one called "Welcome to the Neighborhood," and the other called "Wings and Muses." Wish me luck; I've never had a collection published before.

Transience

It’s five minutes before next week,
sun slanting across kitchen butcher block,
his smile spread like blueberry jam,
dimples chiseled with Big Screen charm.
Confidence is easy as a forearm draped
next to a chessboard before cornering
a bishop. His eyes twinkle, mesmerized
as his older sister flicks hair over her shoulder,
embellishes tales of sorority sleepovers,
frat pranks, professors with shoes
on the wrong feet. She inhales her CocaCola
and chokes on her own punchline,
spewing snot across the table.

And here he is, at the table. Eye-to-eye.
Snortling. Breath coming in clumps.
If it could last until the moon rises
over tomorrow—oh, if only.

Malika

I like that, Terry (and I'm not an easy critic...) It's a big buzz getting stuff published, isn't it?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:bravo::bravo:

Way To Go! Although poetry is lost on me. I've tried for years. I just don't "get" it.

Now if you put it to music......that might change. Lyrics I can usually "get", go figure. lol

TerryJ2

Thank you! I'll work on some music ... ;)

Just got an email that I got two acceptances from "Chest" magazine, a medical journal that publishes health related poetry. Wow!

T

TeDo

Good for you Terry. I am very happy for you. Thanks for sharing this one. I wish I could write like that. I am soooo jealous.

:bravo::fan::happyguy:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Congrats!!!

I love to write, esp poetry. But... Never really had anything published since HS...

TerryJ2

Thank you.
Now that difficult child had me watch those videos (see other thread), this poem seems so ... Disney-ish. But hey, I'm a mom. This is what I do. :)