Great story about a boy with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) and his companion dog

buddy

The science behind Iyal's cognitive leaps is still in its infancy. Alan M. Beck, the director of the Center for the Human-Animal Bond at Purdue University's College of Veterinary Medicine, is among those intrigued by it. There is a real bond between children and animals, he told me. The younger the child, the greater the suspension of disbelief about what an animal understands or doesn't understand. According to Beck, more than 70 percent of children confide in their dogs, and 48 percent of adults do. The absolutely nonjudgmental responses from animals are especially important to children, he says. If your child with F.A.S.D. starts to misbehave, your face may show disapproval, but the dog doesn't show disapproval. The performance anxiety this child may feel all the time is absent when he's with his dog. Suddenly he's relaxed, he's with a peer who doesn't criticize him. The hypothesis is that the sudden drop in Iyal's anxiety level & the sudden decrease in his hypervigilance, the lowering of his cortisol level and the disarming of the fight-flight physiology frees up cognitive energy that he can use for thought and speech. A child with a disability feels freer not to suppress his ideas and behaviors when he's with his dog, Beck says. There's a level of trust and confidentiality he has with no one else. And it's a good choice: the dog is his true confidant and friend.

I loved reading this story. I have talked to places that work with kids who can have tantrums and even be aggressive and they are willing to work with us..partly because we have had pets successfully for years and he bonds with them.

But even minus the dogs, this is exactly what I have been saying is happening at school with Q.

Toward the end of the story it talks about his being bullied caused him to bully in effect....but in reality he has such poor boundaries, it is just about being desperate for peer attention. Very sad and very familiar.

Thanks for sharing the story. Really amazing how many kids have disabilities like this. And more than a little frustrating that for many, it was completely avoidable.