Haven't updated in a while

Tymica

I havent updated in a while so I thought I would and hopefully not jinx myself. My difficult child has now been in rehab for 5 weeks. He seems to be doing well and ready to overcome all of the obstacles he has set up for himself. Of course we keep reminding him that is easier said while there than done when he gets home. We went to family counseling today and gave him his boundaries for when he is home such as working towards a plan for the future, getting a job, staying clean, etc...He wasnt happy about all of them but as we reminded him, he tried things his way and this is where it got him, now we do things our way and if he doesnt like it he is welcome to become a ward of the state until he is 18. After that discussion he changed his tune. Since he isn't going back to school he has set a goal to graduate from the alternative school program in December and join the Army as soon as they will have him. Overall, the last couple of visits have been great and his thought processes are clearer than they have been in a long time. He will be coming home in 3 weeks or less and I am very nervous. I am so grateful for the support and advice I have gotten here and im sure I will need more in coming times!

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Childofmine

one day at a time
That is so great thank you! Thank you for posting and giving us an update. I pray that this progress continues and he makes good choices for himself. It sounds like you are talking honestly and straight to him about what is, and what will be. I believe that is huge.

Enjoy these three weeks until he gets out. Make them about YOU. Relax in that, because he is safe right now.

We can only focus on today, thank you. We can't know the future. Let it go.

Blessings and prayers and peace I am wishing for you today and all this coming week.

Nancy

Thanks for the update Tymica. I'm glad he has accepted the boundaries you have set. Does the rehab do any aftercare or follow up? The rehab my daughter was in had an intensive outpatient program that she went into after residential.

Keep us posted, especially when he comes home.

toughlovin

Thanks for this update... and take this time to take care of yourself, sleep easily and enjoy this time.

TL

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Tymica

I never did answer your question Nancy! oops! Since hes been home (a little over a month) he has been going to 1 on 1 rehab/counseling once a week, and then group rehab/counseling once a week. Additionally, he is going to NA 1 night a week and church 1 night a week. So I am hoping he is getting any support and reinforcement there that we might be lacking at home :)