headache

buddy

I have such a terrible headache today. I rarely get them like this.....sometimes a little stress headache but medications are not touching this and I already take Ultram for my back.

I was thinking, my mom gave us some oatmeal she didn't want...one kind were these little packs saying only 100 calories or something...I just figured they were little. So I made one and ate it, it tasted funny, an after taste so I checked and it had non sugar sweetner.... I never drink diet anything anymore because I had tons of headaches and someone told me to stop to see and sure enough very few headaches. I am hoping this is what happened. I sure dont want to be getting sick. I rarely get sick.

Do you guys get headaches from artificial or non sugar sweeteners?

DDD

Not me. My sister does though. I'm sorry you are in pain. Decades ago I used to get migraines and I still remember the misery. Perhaps if you really start downing water it will dilute the impact. Sending gentle hugs. DDD

Malika

That's really strange, Buddy... Today I've had a really bad headache, too, all day... as this is Wednesday and no school I've been with J all day and noticing how irritable and shut off this pain makes me feel. So you really do have my sympathy! I honestly think it is VERY possible to get headaches from these kind of sweeteners. I have often noticed how I get diet-related headaches (after parties, or whatever).
PS Have had a hot bubble bath, a camomile tea with honey, J is asleep and I feel somewhat better. I hope you do too.

southermama3

Personally, I'm a splenda and diet coke junkie. So I wouldn't know if any of my headaches are set off by a artificial sweetner.

I do sympathize with you. I have a severe headache today and I feel like I have the flu. My RA Dr started me on humira yesterday and he said feeling like I do is a side effect. He ordered me Ultram (something I've never took) and tbh I'm afraid to take it. I'm afraid it will give me another side effect and make me feel worse. Since you take it does it cause you to feel bad or do you think it will just take away my joint pain?

Everything else aside I hope you feel better doll. =^}

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:hugs: fake sugar does that to me, too, in very small amounts. Larger amounts make me vomit. I hope you're feeling better soon... Water should help...

InsaneCdn

It is a known migraine trigger.
Best pain killer for migraine - if that's what it is - is Motrin gelcaps.
But... you can't combine pain medications... so, you'd have to let the other stuff wear off first.

Other things that help are peppermint, and ginger.

buddy

OK I filled my big water cup and am drinking that now....

Re: ultram/tramadol

For me it is a life changer. When I started it made me a little tired but not sleepy. Now, I had been on oxycontin for a while before that so may have been less immune to side effects? I have a milder form of scleroderma, joint pain, esophogeal and lung damage. I can't take anti-inflammatories and so had been on oxycontin but when I had to stop working out of the house I knew I could pace myself better and more research was coming out on how it can re-set your pain tolerance etc.... so I asked to try something else. I knew I could rest on and off during the day so was willing to have less pain control as long as it was tolerable.

I actually like it much much better than oxycontin. (If I had a higher level of pain probably not). I have been on medications to lower my immune system too and I ended up with pneumonia each and every time... the 105 fever, in the hospital kind so I wont do that again unless my auto-immune stuff flares to a terrible point, becomes life altering or threatening.

So, I take 3 to 4 doses (can take it up to every 6 hours, but often do 8) and have only taken the 50 mg tabs. They are very very cheap if you use generic (depending where you shop.... walgreens here told me it was 58 dollars and Walmart and Sams club charge me 8 dollars! and at that I am sure they are making a profit so what does that tell you??)

Hope if you decide to try it it helps. Your body does become somewhat dependent on it, never feeling high or out of it....but if you take it regularly then you will need to taper off. At least that is how it is for me.

TerryJ2

Yes, I cannot do Crystal Light or any of those.

It could be that, in combination with-sinus issues. Do you run a humidifier in the winter? You're in MN, right? Awfully dry there. I'm in VA, and even with-our temperate winter weather, I wake up in the a.m. and blow my nose and come up with-blood. Just a thought.

southermama3

I broke down and took it and had to take another one but my joints have stopped aching.

I have rheumatoid arthritis I was diagnosis at 17. I've been on methotrexate and high does of steroids which also cause low immunity and I almost always contract pneumonia. I had strep pneumonia last Christmas and I spent two wks in isolation bc the CDC was treating me. I just came off of a 12 wk course of steroids and they had to stop the therapy bc my liver enzymes was dangerously high. I can't take NSAIDs either bc I have really bad ulcers that bleed. So the dolobid they gave me yesterday had me doubled over in stomach cramps. The humira I started has just left me feeling bad like I have the flu. It sounds like u and I have similar medical issues at least I can sympathize with u on being sick.

In the grand scheme of things tho with our children and their problems we cannot take sick days.

Get better soon doll. =^}

buddy

Thanks guys...
Kel, wow, at least I have had not many issues for years. I too get the ulcers and that is not fun at all! Horrible pain. So that is right, no nasids.

I hope the Ultram helps you like it has me... I am grateful something works.

buddy

Terry, Q gets bloody noses a lot. I used to have a humidifier and hated that film everywhere... do you have any that you know of that dont do that?

I think we do need that in this house too. I dont feel like it is a sinus issue yet but do have some small signs of it so it could be just starting.

southermama3

I'm not sure bout u but when I'm pain free and feel good I feel like I'm a better parent. The days I'm sick it's a struggle to not breakdown in hysterics.

DammitJanet

I cant take ultram. I tried that way back when it first came out. We had a hate/hate relationship..lol. The minute that little pill went down my throat it immediately came back up. It was the oddest thing too because I am really good with taking pills and this one wasnt even sitting in my stomach long enough to fall apart. It was down and back up. I tried it several times over the years and even again when it came out in generic. generic stayed down for about half an hour but again...back up. Its on my list of allergies.

buddy

Janet, so not fair.... but you probably need the stronger medication anyway. My sister said it does not work well for many of their cancer patients when they are in pain... those levels of pain are very different.

Kel, yes I always used to comment that it was funny how much naughtier Q was on days when I didn't feel well... (lol, clearly he was the same...just my patience and tolerance was very different)

InsaneCdn

Kel, yes I always used to comment that it was funny how much naughtier Q was on days when I didn't feel well... (lol, clearly he was the same...just my patience and tolerance was very different)

Buddy... I'd say, NOT.
The difficult children are NOT the same when we are not feeling well... because when we don't feel well, we don't react the same, their order and stability is affected, and they may be afraid on some level of losing us.

Moms everywhere are not allowed to be sick.
Why would difficult children feel any different?

buddy

Well, that was my point but I guess I didn't say it as well as you did...

He is influenced by my state..... but when I am not in that state, he would not be getting in trouble as predictably... Poor Q got in trouble one day a month on the same approximate day if you know what I mean.

southermama3

honey when I'm sick I feel like I'm bullied by my kids. They can literally take a ordered house and turn it into chaos on a dime! Then I have to listen to my boyfriend run his trap..ugh.

It is completely true about their fear of losing us. Since my mom died my kids realize death and they are very afraid of it. Anytime I get sick especially if Im in the hospital they cry uncontrollably. However, all the professionals say to not give them a false sense of security bc it will hurt them worse. Its a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

buddy

Oh that is so true. I have always hidden if I am ill. when Q was little he was AWFUL for anyone who normally he loved to be with. He was ugly if I was sick. Now, he is not that way overtly but like for PMS when I say nothing...I am just less patient... I do know it is ME causing the drama.

Malika

There's the other side too (worth a mention!) When I'm sick, J will be quite concerned, in a momentary, five-year-old way. Or if I have an accident - tonight I hurt my hand and he took it between his and kissed it, saying "Are you alright, Mummy?". Makes up a little for the times he's kicked me or pointed guns at me, I suppose...