Help me please

C

cami28926

I have a son with ADHD, ODD, and an adjustment disorder....he has been on medications now since he was 5 and we still havent found the right now for him. He is really good on all pills for about 3 or 4 weeks then suddenly he is back to his old habits. I have tried everything I can think of as a form of disapline. I have suggested multiple things to his teacher as well. His teacher has been veryu patient and open minded but still we can't get him under control in his classroom. I honestly don't even care about how he behaves at home anymore as long as we can get his classroom behavior under control I will be happy. He came home from school today with a note on his daily report card (a suggestion I made to his teacher so I know how he is at school and to give him insentive to be good) the note said that he pointed a pair of scissors at a classmate and said "I am going to cut you' Where does he get this stuff!!! We don't act like that at home....he doesn't watch shows like that here either! Why would he want to hurt someone! I am so lost! I am so hurt too I feel like I am failing him! I don't know where to turn so please if you have any suggestions send them my way.....Thank YOu

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Hi & Welcome-
I have a couple of questions.

Who diagnosis'd him
What medication is he taking now?
How old is he now?
Does he have an IEP at school?

This is a great place, glad you found us - sorry you had to. Other should be along soon to offer their support and advice.

BusynMember

Wow. Has he ever been completely neuropsychologist evaluated? If not, I recommend it. Sounds like more than ADHD/ODD to me. If he is taking ADHD medications and it is a wrong diagnosis (as it often is) then the medications he's taking could be making him worse. Any ADHD medications made my son mean and aggressive. I think another evaluation from a good private neuropsychologist would really help pinpoint the problem. Was your son adopted? Adjustment disorder is something I've only heard in adopted kids. I have four adopted kids.
Good luck!

H

HaoZi

We're in a similar boat cami, no incentive/method/punishment/bribe works consistently with mine, either. If I'm lucky a system will work for 2 weeks, then it's another round of finding something new. Ditto medications, with the time period varying more. Also in Indiana, and running into issues getting a doctor to refer mine to a neuropsychologist (and no way to get medicaid to pay for it without that it seems). All I know is hang in there, and you'll find a lot of supportive people who know how you feel here. I'm really glad I found this place.