Hershey's cocoa

K

Kjs

OMG - I decided to clean out my cupboards. I had to move all my baking stuff because I keep buying baking stuff that I already have. I just keep shoving it all in the same cupboard.

When cleaning out the cupboard. In the back I found a TIN of Hershey's Cocoa. LOL...It was from my MOM's house. My dad died 13 years ago.
It is a real TIN. Has some really good recipes on the tin. Even has Cocoa in it. easy child wanted to try it. Back then they didn't put expiration dates on products.

Had a recipe for hot cocoa - using a mixer to whip it.
Also had a recipe for chocolate frosting. I'm going to try that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
First of all, done the frosting and it's to die for!! And second I make the homemade cocoa. LOVE IT. Nothing like hot chocolate so best to warn anyone who hasn't had it before. The taste is much richer.

Speaking of the frosting...........when I was back in hs I attempted to make it for the first time..........somehow I came out with the most delicious fudge type thing. lmao My Mom cracked up laughing, but she ate it right along with me. It was good! Never been able to do it again though. So I've no clue what I did, I thought I'd followed directions.

Mattsmom277

OMG!! Sounds yummy.

I have two words for you ...

HOMEMADE BROWNIES

S/O uses cocoa in a homemade brownie recipe. I've never seen a recipe so simple but turn out the most scrumptious pan of brownies. I could easily make it. But I have S/O convinced he's the only person on the planet who can make it like he does. So now he brags on his hard to make brownies (snicker). He also, when wanting praise (and he's a glutten for praise lol) is known to just whip up a batch on the sly when I'm soaking in the tub or something. There is a method to my madness (insert evil laughter).

yup, I vote that aged cocoa goes into a pan of brownies!

lordhelphim

one of those foods that just don't go bad! i nominate pots of creme or just plain ole pudding!

oh and thanks i'm off to make hot cocoa with-the new caramel/vanilla marshmellows i bought last wk. yummmmmmm:D

ctmom05

Oh, we're talking food here? I have something to go with your cocoa, ladies; Apple - Strawberry Oatmeal Bars. I made some tonight; they're just out of the oven. They taste and smell wonderful!

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup diced fresh apple, cooked - then tossed with 2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons strawberry jam

In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add butter and vanilla; stir until crumbly

Divide mixture in half

Press 1/2 crumb mixture evenly into an ungreased 8" or 9" baking pan

Drain cooked apples, toss with brown sugar, place on bottom oatmeal mixture layer

Melt jam in microwave - takes about 2 cycles of 10 seconds each; pour over apples

Press the other half of oatmeal mixture into 8” square, place on top of filling(I used an extra baking dish to press the top crust into & them lifted it out in sections with a spatula to place over filling; it was easier that way)

Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes

Cool; top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired

mstang67chic

Going Green
I've made the frosting too. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

As for brownies.....I haven't baked any yet but I made a big batch of dry mix. I used Susiestar's recipe from the Recipes lost or found thread. It takes two 8 oz tins of cocoa. It smells wonderful!

witzend

The chocolate frosting recipe is excellent. If it has a chocolate cake recipe on it, you should try that too. It's super moist and yummy!

The only problem I remember with the tin is that it had a round lid, and you couldn't level you measuring spoon.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Two 8 ounce tins of cocoa, 'Stang? .. .. .. is that for 83 dozen brownies???????

LOL See my thread on this. It's a recipe for one of those dry mixes you give out as gifts. I wound up with 13 full batches of the stuff and had to mix it in a huge stock pot.