I think it's time to let go of Miss Sally.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My dog, my good girl Sally is 15 years old ~ she's a boxer, basinji mix. husband & I brought Sally into our home when she was a year old & has been through all the ups & downs over the last 14 years.

At the ripe age of 15 she's now declining more than I realized. Sally is basically blind, her back legs have recently started to give out on her & she falls. When she's not sleeping she's constantly licking herself (allergies) & the medications no longer help. A couple of weeks ago Sally had to have a couple of bedsores removed.

I'm taking Sally to the vet this morning as she's really struggling. Her tail no longer wags at the sound of her name ~ she's in constant pain.

I'm asking the vet to euthanize her this morning. I asked, when I made the appointment yesterday, that the vet not try to talk me out of this once again. Sally has had a good life - she's been the one constant in my life over the last 14 years.

Miss Sally is a good girl. I'll update you later. Say a prayer that I'm doing the right thing for her. I feel strangely at peace.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Aw, Linda, I'm so sorry. Like you said, Sally has had a good life and by this one last expression of your love for her, you will give her freedom from the pain she's in. Hugs, it's not easy.

Mattsmom277

Oh :( I'm so sorry about your Sally girl. 14 years is a long time. I'm glad you had her for those hard times over the years. I do think you are doing the right thing and I'm glad to hear that you are finding peace with the decision. I know you will miss her horribly. It does sound though like it is her time. It can't be easy to let go but it can't be easy watching her be in chronic pain either.
Plenty of hugs heading to you today.

muttmeister

Sor sorry. The only big downside of owning a dog is that they have such a short lifespan. You have given her a good life and now you can do this one last thing for her. Give yourself time to grieve. Then you may decide to find a new best friend; not as a replacement but in her honor.
Sending hugs.

LittleDudesMom

Linda,

Most always, the right thing to do is the hardest thing to do. I know you do this with both love and pain in your heart - pain to watch her suffering, love to end her suffering, and a heart full of memories.

Never let anyone talk you out of what you know in your heart is right. Never let anyone talk you into what just feels wrong. It's the lesson we teach our children.

Lots of love and hugs on this difficult day. Let us know how you are doing this afternoon and how kt responds to the news.

Soar free Sally......

Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm a big believer in that strange sense of peace you feel. I think its like your mommy gut...you just know.

You are in my thougths and prayers this morning. Losing a furry family member is so hard, even if it is the right time to let go.

Hugs.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Linda, lots of hugs. I understand very well. It always hurts, but sometimes it's the right thing.

Jody

Linda, Many hugs today. It's always hard. But you do know what's best for Sally. It's that bond that we have built with them, the unspoken one. You will be in my thoughts and prayers all day today. Hang in there!!! It may not seem like it but time does help. It stinks no matter what. But the peace you feel will help you thru it. Many hugs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Linda,

I will be with you in spirit to lend support and courage, a shoulder, a hug and a kleenex. Sally must think you are the bravest most wonderful Mom in the world - somehow they just know what we do is completely out of respect and love. I'm sorry for your hurt.

Hugs & Love
Star

donna723

Linda, I'm so very sorry. My heart just aches for you. The others are right ... sometimes the right thing is also the most difficult, painful thing to do. I'm glad you are at peace with your decision and you know in your heart that you are doing this one last loving thing for your Sally. Many, many hugs to you.

klmno

I'm so sorry- this is never easy even when we know it's best because their quality of life can't be expected to return, at least in this world.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Linda

Sending many many warm gentle hugs. I'll be there with you in spirit too. Miss Sally has been a wonderful dog and a much loved family member. She does not deserve to suffer to the point where her quality of life is gone. Even though it is truly hard for us to say good-bye, she will be at peace. And honestly, she will be with you forever.

I only hope I can be as strong when Rowdy and Molly's time comes. They've been such a constant presence in our lives for so long I can't imagine it without them. Rowdy is older....but is not showing as much age as is Molly who is a year young then he is. My poor Molly girl can't even sit up and beg these days, which was always her favorite trick. She doesn't play and she avoids the children other than a quick greeting when her days were spent watching over the little ones. Makes me sad that now I have to explain to the grands Molly is a Nana dog so they understand.

(((((hugs))))))

KTMom91

Linda, I'm so sorry. It's such a difficult decision. My Lhasa Apso, Fred, will be there to welcome Miss Sally. Many, many hugs.

witzend

Linda, I'm so sorry. I know it is hard. And yet we have more dogs. I love them.

[SIZE=+1]Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow
Bridge together.... [/SIZE]